The Weather Forums

April 2020 Observations and Discussion

My future home of Fargo is seeing FIFTY DBZ snow returns right now. Lovely.

Here's a cam link for anyone who wants to watch the band push through. https://www.valleynewslive.com/content/ipcams/513194511.html

• Like 2

Severe Weather Stats for Fargo 2020-21

Slight risks: 3 (Last: 7/26)   Enhanced Risks: 0    Moderate Risks: 0

Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 2 (Last: 7/26)   Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: 1 (Last: 6/7)

Tornado Watches: 0    Tornado Warnings: 0

Total Snowfall for 2020-2021 @ KFAR: 28.6"            Coldest Low: -25*F (2/15)

Are you moving there?

Yes. This Summer. It'll be another short stint like my time here was before I go back to Lincoln for good.

The original plan was actually for me to go to Fargo this past Summer, but some short-sightedness on my part put me here in NW OH for a year.

• Like 2

Severe Thunderstorm Watches: 2 (Last: 7/26)   Severe Thunderstorm Warnings: 1 (Last: 6/7)

When’s the move and house warming party...or rather, Blizzard Party?

You guys are all invited! If you wanna make a road trip up in December feel free to crash at my place  :D

• Like 4

Yes. This Summer. It'll be another short stint like my time here was before I go back to Lincoln for good.

The original plan was actually for me to go to Fargo this past Summer, but some short-sightedness on my part put me here in NW OH for a year.

Hell yes, you need to get back here to make winter great again

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"  

2018-19: 55.5"   

2019-20: 17.6"   

2020-21: 49.4" 

Average: 25.9"

Hell yes, you need to get back here to make winter great again

Hold your horses, Lincoln got 7.5" in my first year there. And I missed 2.1" of that at Christmas.

• Like 2

Good Friday to you all!  As grim as the next few weeks "stay at home" order may sound, the weather pattern isn't looking to nice in the extended.  An April '18 redux in the mix?  Mid-April Snow??  Golly, there ain't a sliver of good news for Spring weather on the horizon except for the next few days.  Most of our members across the central Sub pop into the 60's/70's early next week.  I saw a Snapchat video from my cousin back home yesterday and it's starting to green up nicely and will look even better by mid next week from the warmer temps.  I'm concerned of Frost/Freeze's late next week around the GL's region that may kill some of the early vegetation blooming. There is a stronger and possibly more potent surge of cold air come mid month knifing down the central US where the chance of some more late season wintry precip is on the table.  Last nights 00z EPS is not pretty and if you looked at the Euro Weeklies from yesterday, well, it's about as Ugly as Ugly can get this time of year...cold and wet....bummer...hope it changes its tune as we head into May.

• Like 1

Woke up to ice and icicles covering everything this morning.  Car was encased in ice.  Luckily with remote start after 20 minutes I could eventually get the passenger side open and crawl over behind the wheel.  Even then I could only see out the windshield, it took another 10 minutes until I could open up the drivers side and clear the side windows.  I haven't ever had so much ice on a vehicle.  I don't know how the roads are in the country, I'd guess terrible.  My short drive in town was ok.  Strangely and luckily trees and powerlines didn't accumulate enough ice to be a concern.  

• Like 3

Beautiful sunshine w temps attm in the 40s. Need some Vitamin D, that's for sure. :D Full blown sunshine right through the weekend, except for a CF coming through which could produce some spotty showers late Saturday into early Sunday

• Like 2

Snowfall as of today:  Feb, 2021: 41.2"

You guys are all invited! If you wanna make a road trip up in December feel free to crash at my place  :D

Which is more deserted, Nebraska or Ohio. I hate Ohio. Everytime I drive through it I fall asleep on the wheel. All you see is flatland and farms there

Which is more deserted, Nebraska or Ohio. I hate Ohio. Everytime I drive through it I fall asleep on the wheel. All you see is flatland and farms there

I have had people here in NW OH make fun of Nebraska for being "flat". My usual response is asking if they're blind.

• Like 2

I have had people here in NW OH make fun of Nebraska for being "flat". My usual response is asking if they're blind.

I hear ya, tbh, Nebraska is 10x better than OH. I once had to make a stop there visiting a good friend (business trip). Stayed there for a day. Had a great time. If I remember correctly, it was late Spring (mind you this was 15yrs ago). Bumpy airplane ride was not appreciated. Once I flew to LAX the next day, temps there felt so much nicer and warmer. Total different climate.

• Like 1

I hear ya, tbh, Nebraska is 10x better than OH. I once had to make a stop there visiting a good friend (business trip). Stayed there for a day. Had a great time. If I remember correctly, it was late Spring (mind you this was 15yrs ago). Bumpy airplane ride was not appreciated. Once I flew to LAX the next day, temps there felt so much nicer and warmer. Total different climate.

Thanks for the kind words. It is not as flat as many think if they ever leave the I 80 corridor. My county south of the interstate is fairly flat, but just southwest is canyons. To the north of the interstate is the Sandhills. The interstate is right through the Platte Valley in Central Nebraska so it makes it appear that the entire state is just like that area.

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words. It is not as flat as many think if they ever leave the I 80 corridor. My county south of the interstate is fairly flat, but just southwest is canyons. To the north of the interstate is the Sandhills. The interstate is right through the Platte Valley in Central Nebraska so it makes it appear that the entire state is just like that area.

The Platte River/MO River Valleys in Eastern Nebraska are beautiful as well. If you were dropped there randomly you'd think you're in the Appalachians.

• Like 2

The front certainly means business.  We had a nice day yesterday, reaching 63º.  First thing this morning it was still in the low 50s, but this afternoon we are falling through the 30s.  Rain is also moving in.

Mid month looks pretty awful.

Today's 12z Euro has a big storm in the 8-10 day period.  The potential for a mean winter storm is there, but the strong northern stream energy and cold air lags just a bit behind the moist southern energy.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 52.5"

'19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

On a positive note, today's Euro has much of my area near 80º Tuesday.

• Like 3

'19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

My post from March 1st:   

Just 47F here for a bit this pm. And in the shade with winds, snow piles, etc it wasn't all too spring-like tbh. More like what most of this winter's been, lol. When the piles are gone and we hit 60+ that'll be more like it in my book. 

Sunny, calm, and 65F this afternoon..ahhh. We made it! 
  • Like 3

Winter 2020-21 Snow Total = 35.1"  Largest Storm: 10.2" (2/15-16)        Oct: 0.0 Nov: 1.5 Dec: 3.6 Jan: 10.0 Feb: 20.0 Mar: 0.0 Apr: 0.0

Annual avg for mby = 49.7"  Avg for last 10 seasons = 58.4" (118% of normal)

2019-20 = 48.0"  2018-19 = 56.1"  2017-18 = 68.3"   2016-17 = 52"   2015-16 = 57.4"   2014-15 = 55.3"   2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"   2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

From your experience living in OH recently, which location seemed less populated...Ohio or Nebraska

The rain just ended here.  There is a sheet of ice on the deck.

• Like 1

From your experience living in OH recently, which location seemed less populated...Ohio or Nebraska

Part of my gripe about living here is how densely populated the GLs region is. Even the country highways seem to have a lot of traffic.

Nebraska had a similar feel between Omaha and Lincoln, but there was basically nobody West of Lincoln. It was great. You could drive in the left lane of any 2-lane country road and not worry basically. Besides US-30

• Like 2

Chitown hit 70F yesterday...first 70 degree day of the season.  I'm sure people were out and about enjoying the beautiful weather instead of being stuck in doors.  I still can't believe all of these "non essential" stores will be closed for another month.  It's like a ghost town driving through some of the "poppin" neighborhoods around here that normally would be packed with "snowbirds".

In other news, heading for a high in the low 80's again today and crystal clear blue skies.  It's amazing how stunningly blue the skies are over here when comparing it to back home and seeing the chem trails.  Some of my friends in California indicate how bad they are over there but yet only a few hundred miles to the east they don't exist.

• Like 4

Craptastic forecast shaping up for April....not another April '18....could be a cold Easter morning for a lot of members...

00z GEFS/EPS showing more support for mid month snows across the northern half of the Sub, esp out in the Great Plains and Front Range of the Rockies, but also east towards the GL's.

usT2mMonInd1.gif

• Like 1

Part of my gripe about living here is how densely populated the GLs region is. Even the country highways seem to have a lot of traffic.

Nebraska had a similar feel between Omaha and Lincoln, but there was basically nobody West of Lincoln. It was great. You could drive in the left lane of any 2-lane country road and not worry basically. Besides US-30

Wow! I have yet to see Detroit like that and I have been living here now for several years. Everytime I would go to the city of Detroit, it would look like a ghost town. Few people here and there and mind you, you have to be in the correct spots to see people walking around. If you go just a couple blocks left or right, it will be empty. Definitely not used to that. Suburbs where I am at, its more populated, thank goodness. I cannot be somewhere where it looks like isolation from civilization.

Right now for Greek Easter I would have been in my city (NYC w friends and mostly family), but thanks to this fricken virus going on, I am stuck in MI. UGH!

Wow! I have yet to see Detroit like that and I have been living here now for several years. Everytime I would go to the city of Detroit, it would look like a ghost town. Few people here and there and mind you, you have to be in the correct spots to see people walking around. If you go just a couple blocks left or right, it will be empty. Definitely not used to that. Suburbs where I am at, its more populated, thank goodness. I cannot be somewhere where it looks like isolation from civilization.

Right now for Greek Easter I would have been in my city (NYC w friends and mostly family), but thanks to this fricken virus going on, I am stuck in MI. UGH!

I know you must be young, but even in the late 1960's Detroit had people walking and driving all over town. While the city has many abandoned areas (along with Flint and Saginaw) the metro area is still has a lot of people and thus traffic. 

• Like 1

It's sunny this afternoon, but it's still only 43º.  I have more outside projects to do, but I'd like it to be at least 50º.

OMG, the GFS has two snow storms in MO in the next two weeks along with some major cold for April. NO!

KC had an icing event yesterday, high temp was 30 with thunderstorms and freezing rain. Trees were heavily coated with ice. No road problems. I don’t think I can remember an April icing event before.

• Like 3

I know you must be young, but even in the late 1960's Detroit had people walking and driving all over town. While the city has many abandoned areas (along with Flint and Saginaw) the metro area is still has a lot of people and thus traffic. 

Back then in the (1960s), I'm sure it was a lot better. Look, you cannot compare Detroit then and now. Totally different perspective picture. The economy was a lot better in the 1960s versus now. Also, if you mean "A lot of People walking around" and "Traffic of busy moving cars" then, you are wrong! This is not the case. Yes, there are people walking here and there, cars  and even a trolly going around in circles, but I would not go that far as "A lot of People." Keep in mind, Detroit is getting better though and will continue to do so. If I had to guess, I would say that one day, Detroit will be the way it was back in the 1960s as you say. Dont get me wrong, I respect Detroit as a city itself, especially for the great nickname it has to offer..."The Motor City". It makes great cars. Hopefully, one day, I will do business w Detroit, but for now, its not a place to work w, "Yet".

Clouds have rolled in and some spotty showers could be possible. Temps are in the 50s.

Btw: Anyone feel after the "Pandemic" is done, that people will be different in terms of shaking hands, or not shaking hands. Perhaps just do a knuckle hit or elbow approach. Or any other ways. How about after you are done grocery shopping, will you still be cleaning off your stuff b4 you place them away in your kitchen. Also, personality and etc. I personality think that life will be different after this is all set and done w.

Clouds have rolled in and some spotty showers could be possible. Temps are in the 50s.

Btw: Anyone feel after the "Pandemic" is done, that people will be different in terms of shaking hands, or not shaking hands. Perhaps just do a knuckle hit or elbow approach. Or any other ways. How about after you are done grocery shopping, will you still be cleaning off your stuff b4 you place them away in your kitchen. Also, personality and etc. I personality think that life will be different after this is all set and done w.

My awkward a** is still shaking everyone's hand.

• Like 1

This is a wild looking snow forecast off the EPS/GEFS through the next 2 weeks.  Looks more like a run you would see in the heart of Winter!  The 500mb pattern setting up across North America would have been eye candy back in November, but in April, it is not welcomed....

gfs-ens_z500aMean_namer_10.png

00z GEFS...

GEFSCGP_prec_meansnacc_384.png

1.png

I know this really belongs in the complaint thread but that is now way too political for my taste. Anyway I really miss the baseball season. I have been a Tiger fan for a long time.  My 1st game that I went too was in1957.  And even thought the Tigers were not good then either they won that game in the bottom of the 10th inning when Charlie (Paw Paw) Maxwell hit a two run home run. I played little league baseball  and of course I have been working the last 14 years out at the West Michigan Whitecaps. Of course I will not miss the cold games that we have here in April and that would have been the case later next week. At this time there are plans in the works that there may NOT be minor league baseball this season and even Major league baseball for 2020 is still uncertain.

• Like 1

Attm, 39F under cloudy skies

Today I will be in my art room painting some pics later. You want to just paint anything that comes to your mind. Try it. Its fun. You can get creative and get to see how your brain reacts to art. :D

• Like 3

Lol. It's hard as heck isn't it.

I've been a hand shaking gentleman all my life. This crap is weird.

Trust me...its only the beginning. Life will be much different after this "Pandemic" ends. I shake hands a lot also (well, used to. Now I will be debating whether to do an elbow approach, even w my business partners for safety precautions), so lots of changing habits will be in stored.