April 2020 Weather discussion for the PNW

Looks like the Euro is going down the toilet too. Good thing. Really hope our four days of cold troughing weren’t too much for anyone.

It has rained in most places for the last 10 or 11 days straight... makes sense that there would be some dry weather for a few days.   Hope you can handle it.   We normally have dry days in April so you are rooting against climo.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

0.30" so far for the 1st. Hopefully this trough hasn't really fallen off, we need a wet April to make up for a very dry past two months.

Currently running a 10.11" rainfall deficit since February 1st.

Hopefully the models are having problems handling cutoff lows again, and some of the output we are currently seeing beyond day 5 ends up being trash. There were points when this week looked warm and sunny on many runs due to similar issues, even well into the mid-range.

• Like 1

0.30" so far for the 1st. Hopefully this trough hasn't really fallen off, we need a wet April to make up for a very dry past two months.

Currently running a 10.11" rainfall deficit since February 1st.

Bet you can't guess where nature decided to focus the wetter than normal weather over the last 2 months.    ;)

anomimage-1.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Hopefully the models are having problems handling cutoff lows again, and some of the output we are currently seeing beyond day 5 ends up being trash. There were points when this week looked warm and sunny on many runs due to similar issues, even well into the mid-range.

Hopefully, because we just had the two driest years ever back to back, 2018 and 2019. Feels like we haven't had a super soaker pattern since two April's ago.

I thought my apple trees were slow to bud this year from all the frosts but now with the rains they're having no problem at all. It's as if the ground was too dry.

40 at noon on April 1st at SLE.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I have a question for Phil.

There was a megadrought in the present-day Western US during the Medieval Warm Period that lasted about 200 years. During this time, was it still wetter than average to the north and east of present-day Seattle?

Seems to be a staple of this current regime.

For whatever reason.

12Z EPS looks about the same as the operational run... and keeps the cold air to the east in the long range.   Not going to post maps because I don't want to jinx it.  

All, I have decided to change my weather preferences. Away from winter, I would always root for warm/hot and dry weather. I will now root for cool/cold and wet weather year round. Anything to keep people at home so we can flatten the curve.

Goofy.

People understand how to protect themselves now... and natural sunlight and being outside in fresh air is good for the immune system.

And April is well on its way to being AT LEAST three degrees below normal.

Pretty much a given... we are almost done with April now.    Only 29.5 days left.

50 and partly cloudy here. First day of the warm season...cold season is over but cool to see some people up north see some snow in the air.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Happy April Fools!

Early April snow showing on wunderground in a few days. Well, in Klamath anyway, safe to say winter is over for the most populated areas.

gYryh3a.png

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

All, I have decided to change my weather preferences. Away from winter, I would always root for warm/hot and dry weather. I will now root for cool/cold and wet weather year round. Anything to keep people at home so we can flatten the curve.

Big news. I can’t wait to see what this does to the PDO.

18Z gives us a warm and sunny few days next week, then another cool and wet pattern after that. Seems like a good compromise.

So nature is allowing us to agree on the plan now?  

Looking at the radar, you would almost think the center of circulation of showers this afternoon was right over Portland.

After a cool start to the day with light rain, lots of sunbreaks are showing up now, though. So they should be able to hit 50 pretty easily.

I would not be too concerned about what a single model run is showing. Particularly since 1) it’s the GFS and 2) it’s the 18z.

I am not really that concerned... but it does not feel like a ridgy period is coming so it does not surprise me to see runs back off.

d**n.... I was really hoping we were finally done with troughs for the year.

You seem to think measureable rain every single day is climo and any run that is not wall-to-wall troughing is deemed tragic.    :rolleyes:

Didn't even hit 50F.  :)  Would love to get some cold anomalies in Dec-Jan down here again.

• Like 3

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope