Easter Sunday Winter Storm???

Tom

I don't necessarily think its the convection, but moreso has to do with the nature of this storm bombing out and wrapping up later rather than earlier.  It doesn't really phase with the northern energy until its in the eastern GL's.  Nonetheless, a spectacular showcasing of what nature can do so late in the season.  Prob going to come close to setting Top 5 record low pressures around the GL's and some nasty winds!

It seems next to impossible to get northern and southern waves to properly phase in time to clobber this area in winter, let alone in April.  There is always at least one piece of the puzzle that won't cooperate.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

A nugget from MPX:

The northern stream shortwave currently seen over southern

British Columbia will be a key player in where the deformation

zone and area of heavier precipitation on the northwest side of

the surface low sets up. How its character is impacted by

precipitation development downstream of it will ultimately

determine where deformation and frontogenesis are maximized. Its

overall movement is well captured by the numerical guidance, but

there remain differences in where downstream precipitation

(particularly convection associated with the southern wave) will

develop, and this has major implications for where significant

latent heat release (and subsequent erosion/development of

potential vorticity) will occur. Prefer the ECMWF/EPS handling of

things overall in comparison to the GFS/GEFS,

• Like 2

I wasn't expecting a nice warm and sunny Easter morning at all, but that's what I have here. No complaints with current temperature at 66°. I think the southern storms are robbing us of a lot of moisture. Rain missed me to the south last night and to the north yesterday.

• Like 1

I wasn't expecting a nice warm and sunny Easter morning at all, but that's what I have here. No complaints with current temperature at 66°. I think the southern storms are robbing us of a lot of moisture. Rain missed me to the south last night and to the north yesterday.

66? Wow. Its 38 here and raining hard

• Like 1

Ripping harder in Grand Island than I ever saw in Lincoln this year. I’m at my roommates parents house, power was out for a bit this morning and came back in for a couple hours but now it’s out again.

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Fatty flakes now. Starting to really stick. Temp down to 30F. Bright bands moving in from the southwest. The band actually extends all the way down to St Paul, NE.

Your gonna weenie your way to some good totals bud. Radar looks great for your area. Nice defo zone setting up.

Well we had some nice thunderstorms roll through parts of the metro area with a little bit of hail around 6am (triggered a Severe Thunderstorm Warning). Did not see much of anything in my backyard, outside of some light rain and some lightning. 

Looks like we won't see much sleet or snow from this system either as the deformation band to our west is falling apart quickly as usual, which I am actually grateful for - as we didn't need another nuisance event around here. 

Good riddance to this system... another complete dud for our area outside of more strong winds. The Winter storm season of 2019-20 in Eastern Nebraska needs to release us from its misery and should be forgotten.  

• Like 2

The NWS was absolutely atrocious on this "winter storm". It was laughable how they were hyping it up for days and had heavy snow wordings in the headlines.  Then they slowly diminish totals as it nears and then today we basically get glorified snow showers with a dusting of accumulation. Do they say sorry for blowing it on an important day such as Easter? Of course not, just crickets.  The pointless snow shower makes this cold pattern even more useless and lame. 2020 continues to deliver, who's tired of winning?

• Like 2