4/16 & 4/17 Spring Teaser Snow

Minny_Weather

There  is 3.5" right now, i suspect there is some compaction there, so an official measurement would be higher.  There is a 4.8" report at University Heights, which is basically Iowa City and a 6" report 4 miles east of Iowa City. So a few miles south did even better.  

• Like 3

Not that great here with much higher reports all around me. Temps were marginal so a bit melted as it fell, but it is more picturesque. At least 3" on some elevated surfaces so I'll go with 3" here. Liquid equivalent is 0.23" & core samples from 3" was 0.22".

Snow has begun here. I'm trying my best to will the heavy band northward! It should get to Metro Airport at least, getting us officially to normal snow for the season.

You got any accumulation down there yet, Toledo_WX?

A dusting, and it's going away with a temp of 34.7*F and a rising sun. Still snowing here but the flakes are microscopic. I'm getting shafted.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

The snow is already melting quickly.  Green grass is showing in a few spots.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Ended up with 6" here. I hate to say it, but this might be one of my favorite snowfalls next to a big blizzard of course. It fell during the daytime, basically nothing accumulated on the roads and sidewalk so no shoveling, and it'll all melt in a day with temps back in the 60s and 70s!

Kind of a weird forecast. First it was going to go south and maybe an inch along the KS/NE border. Then the NAM was the first one to throw out a big jump north and heavy totals which was completely ignored by the forecasters.

The next update of models all started showing the jump north with heavy totals though.

The NWS came out with warnings and advisories for 3-9" of snow depending on advisory type.

The local forecasters still kept the totals low in the metro with generally 1-3" despite what the NWS said.

The NWS came out with a midday update yesterday that lowered the amounts to closer to the local forecasters, saying it was too warm to get the accumulations being forecasted.

Then in the end the higher amounts verified.

Frustrating weather forecast indeed!

• Like 5

My 3.5" of snow had 0.28" liquid, which makes the ratio a solid 12.5 to 1.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

A dusting, and it's going away with a temp of 34.7*F and a rising sun. Still snowing here but the flakes are microscopic. I'm getting shafted.

Well that's no good. Coming down moderately here in Birmingham with half inch or so on the grass now. 33 degrees according to the car thermometer.

Ended up with 6" here. I hate to say it, but this might be one of my favorite snowfalls next to a big blizzard of course. It fell during the daytime, basically nothing accumulated on the roads and sidewalk so no shoveling, and it'll all melt in a day with temps back in the 60s and 70s!

Nice way to end a crappy winter, but I would've much rather had this in January and then have it on the ground for a while. Could not get any decent snow cover this year whatsoever. 

• Like 4

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

It was a record breaking daily snowfall in Chicago and also nearly surpassing 1967 with the latest biggest calendar date snowfall.  ORD officially picked up 3.0"..yet another 3" snowfall in the books.  How many is that this season???  Sheesh, it seemed like we couldn't score anything above 4" in a 24 hour period.

Top 5 biggest calendar day snows this late in the season (April 17 ->)

1) 3.1” 4-23-1967
2) 3.0” 4-17-2020
3) 2.5” 4-27-2019
4) 2.5” 4-25-1910
5) 2.0” 4-19-1888

It was a record breaking daily snowfall in Chicago and also nearly surpassing 1967 with the latest biggest calendar date snowfall. ORD officially picked up 3.0"..yet another 3" snowfall in the books. How many is that this season??? Sheesh, it seemed like we couldn't score anything above 4" in a 24 hour period.

And it pretty much followed suit with the majority of prior “snowfalls” this season in that a) snow fell at or above 32 degrees for a significant portion of the event and b.) did not accumulate on roads/sidewalks. I think this puts Chicago around the mid-30” mark? What won’t show up on the official stats is that wherever we end the final tally this season, a low percentage (willing to guess

And it pretty much followed suit with the majority of prior “snowfalls” this season in that a) snow fell at or above 32 degrees for a significant portion of the event and b.) did not accumulate on roads/sidewalks. I think this puts Chicago around the mid-30” mark? What won’t show up on the official stats is that wherever we end the final tally this season, a low percentage (willing to guess

I think there were only 2 snow events that had a "REAL" winter feel and one of them only lasted 24 hours before the warmer air came in and melted some of the snow the following day.  The other snow event I recall had cold temps/wind and decent snow rates and it remained cold for at least a couple days to enjoy the snow cover.  It was a sad winter for many of us on here.  I'm just wondering now if we can finally turn the page and begin a better streak of snowier/colder winters as we head into the "Roaring 20's".

• Like 1