May 2020 Observations and Discussion

St Paul Storm

Attm, its 34F w mostly cloudy skies. Highs today not getting outta the 40s. Way BN. Record snowfall was broken yesterday for MBY.  The latest snowfall recorded here in Detroit was on May 22nd, 1883, when measurable snow was reported.

Another shot of arctic air arrives for early next week w temps falling back into the 20s for Mon and Tues nite lows b4 we finally try to get back to normal temps.

Something to keep an eye on this upcoming Autumn since this Spring has been so snowy and cold thus far.......

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/20-signs-of-a-hard-winter-479

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Who's ready for some legit warmth??? A summer like pattern is looking more and more promising for a lot of our eastern members as we move through the middle and later parts of May. One of the LRC's signature troughs is aimed to target the west coast later next week and roll out of the Rockies sometime between the 20th-25th and likely spark the seasons first legit widespread severe wx threat for the heartland. Mult-day storm threat??? I believe so as the 500mb pattern setting up is one I was thinking we would see earlier on this season but the colder air lingered longer into April and pressed farther south than expected.

As the jet continues to weaken, these troughs coming into the west will likely begin to ignite the atmosphere for the 2nd half of May for our central/southern Sub members. I'm imagining a warmer and much more humid atmosphere to develop later next week and into Memorial Day weekend. It'll feel like Summer for a lot of folks. Ya'll finally ready???

Yes. This cold calm is going to end with a bang. Or several rounds of them.

Severe wx seems the likely exit/outcome of this pattern.

• Like 1

NYC yesterday tied the record with the latest snow. Last time this happened was back in1977 and the Winter that followed (1977-78) was brutal w record breaking snowstorms. I was very young to remember, but I think I remember a portion of that Winter. This could mean the same for this upcoming Winter, who knows. Something to think about. Also, friends and family there told me that parts in the tri-state region recorded temps in the 20s w lots of records broken there.

April 2024:

Attm, 42F w light flurries flying around.

Today I painted my art room. Had a really early start on it. Was preparing for this project for a week. I think it turned out okay.... :lol:  :blink:  

• Like 1

April 2024:

Yesterday was a historical cold day across Michigan. While no new records were set it was a top 5 coldest May 8th an many locations. Here at Grand Rapids the high of 44° is the 2nd coldest maximum for the date. And the low of 29° is the 3rd coldest low. (for today May 9th the low of 26 is the 2nd coldest low for May 9th) At Muskegon the yesterdays high of 45 is the 5th coldest maximum and the low of 27 is the 2nd coldest low. To the east at Lansing were records go all the way back to 1963 the high of 45 and the low of 27 are good for the 4th coldest. On the east side of the state the Detroit high of 46 was there 3rd coldest maximum and there low of 31 is the 2nd coldest low. At Flint the high of 45 is their 2nd coldest. The low there of 31 did not make the top 10. At Saginaw the high of 45 is the 2nd coldest maximum and the low of 30 is good for the 5th coldest low. Up north at Alpena the high of 39 is the 2nd coldest maximum. Their low was not in the top ten. And at the Sault the high of 36 was there 3rd coldest maximum and the low of 27 was their 7th coldest low. To add insult all locations also set records for snow fall and while all but the Sault were just a trace the Sault had 0.2” of snow fall.

• Like 1

Had a low of 29° here this morning. It froze a bunch of the strawberry blooms that were open, but thankfully it wasn't in full bloom yet. Also froze a few other things that weren't covered. It was forecasted to drop to 31° which would've been much better. I forgot to check the fruit trees, but they should be okay and are blooming to thickly anyway.

• Like 1

After a freezing morning, today was pretty nice.  We made it to the mid 60s with sun and modest wind.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

The GFS has nothing but 70s and 80s every day beginning Thursday, through the end of the run.   B)

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Happy Mother's Day to all those wonderful Mom's out there who show their love and care each and everyday!  I'm blessed to have such a wonderful mother and I'm sure many of you on here can say the same.

Well, it's a very warm and humid morning here (74F/50F)....yes....there is a noticeable touch of humidity in the air today and it feels almost like late July/Aug during the Monsoonal season.  There is some rain falling just south of PHX this morning as moisture has made its way into AZ up from the Baja.  This batch of precip should dissipate over the morning hours but as the afternoon wears on isolate thunderstorms will pop up across the eastern valley and across the high country.  I love it when storms form over the mountains to my north and east, esp when you see the towering anvil cloud tops form.  I'm looking to my south right now and there are some dark looking skies as daylight emerges.

1.jpg

• Like 4

Attm, its a coolish 48F under mostly cloudy skies. Some light rain today is likely, but no biggie. Another arctic airmass arriving for Mon and Tues nite, but not nearly as harsh as this weekend was, but nevertheless, temps will crash in the upper 20s to around 30F. Spring hopefully arrives by end of next week as temps near 70F. WoooHoooooo!!!! :D

April 2024:

Saw a couple flakes yesterday, but didn't get any accumulations like Niko did. 54.7*F.

No accumulations, but did have a beautiful scenery there for a bit as everything was snowcovered, except for the roads. A dusting was reported and did break a snowfall record as well.  Man, as soon as that sun came up the next morning, even w below freezing temps, everything melted in a heart beat. The power of the sun angle this time of the year is amazing.

I am so ready for Spring to arrive and have projects outside to start, so pls, no more snow and arctic airmasses until next Winter! ;)

My family and friends in NYC said that the "Big Apple" broke records also w snowfall and cold temps yesterday. Last time this happened was back in 1977.

• Like 1

April 2024:

Happy Mother's Day to all those wonderful Mom's out there who show their love and care each and everyday!  I'm blessed to have such a wonderful mother and I'm sure many of you on here can say the same.

Well, it's a very warm and humid morning here (74F/50F)....yes....there is a noticeable touch of humidity in the air today and it feels almost like late July/Aug during the Monsoonal season.  There is some rain falling just south of PHX this morning as moisture has made its way into AZ up from the Baja.  This batch of precip should dissipate over the morning hours but as the afternoon wears on isolate thunderstorms will pop up across the eastern valley and across the high country.  I love it when storms form over the mountains to my north and east, esp when you see the towering anvil cloud tops form.  I'm looking to my south right now and there are some dark looking skies as daylight emerges.

It feels weird getting humidity in dry climates. I.e., In Athens, Greece, we sometimes get humidity and it feels gross. Luckily, it does not last for days. In my island, Andros, it can also get a little humid there as well, but, no biggie on that because the ocean is 5 minutes away from my house (remember, I am 500ft on the mountain in elevation). I will try to find a few pics to show the forum. The only issue is when I go to my other island (Chios), there, the beach is about 15minutes away by car. I have done walking distance just to test it out from my house to the beach once and it took me 30minutes. Also, there I am 1305' in elevation, so a bit further away, but its all good. Weather between these two islands are very similar, except, Chios is a tad cooler, but Andros is a much windier island (hold on to your hat there, especially driving up in the mountains). Check it out on the map and you will see that their distance is not that far apart.

259efe54c0dab856977bbd3683345155.jpg

• Like 3

April 2024:

Well... This wasn't expected.

The National Weather Service in Cleveland has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
Ottawa County in northwestern Ohio...
Northwestern Seneca County in northwestern Ohio...
Western Sandusky County in northwestern Ohio...
Wood County in northwestern Ohio...
Northern Hancock County in northwestern Ohio...
Lucas County in northwestern Ohio...

* Until 415 PM EDT.

* At 320 PM EDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
extending from 8 miles south of Adrian to near Belle Center, moving
east at 40 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Expect damage to trees and power lines.

* Locations impacted include...
Toledo, Bowling Green, Tiffin, Fremont, Fostoria, Perrysburg,
Oregon, Sylvania, Rossford, Waterville, Northwood, Whitehouse,
North Baltimore, Oak Harbor, Gibsonburg, Genoa, Woodville, Holland,
Weston and Elmore.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Euro 8-day precip forecast... very stormy across the region as the warmth and humidity finally surges up here.

qpf_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 1

Today is a little warmer than yesterday but it is still not a great day for May. At this time it is 51 here with clear skies but it is rather windy and that really puts a chill on everything.

How did the fruit crop fair after this weekends freeze?

You know that is a good question. I looked but did not see any information in the news. And looking up online the only things I can find are going back to 2017. On my walk yesterday and today the few fruit trees I can see seem to be doing OK. I have one apple tree in the yard but it dose not have blooms on it yet. To me everything seems to be a little behind where it should be for this time. Anyway I will let you know if I hear anything on the fruit damage.

• Like 2

Currently, the rain has changed to moderate to occasionally heavy snow at times w temps at 32F. Everything is snow covered. Unreal. This has been a very snowy May thus far. Also, I think I am getting more snow now than I did Friday/Friday nite w that arctic front that rolled on thru .This has more moisture to work w. Looks Iike I might be approaching 0.5."

The radar is very impressive and it has a good amount of moisture resulting in snow. All out snowstorm in the Macomb Area. Detroit getting hammered now as well.  Wow!

Storm track is excellent. Moving in a SE direction allowing for cold air to rap around. Neg tilt is seen happening also.

Accumulations are now forecasted for 1-3" for my area.

I have a very good feeling about next Winter.

• Like 1

April 2024:

NOAA:

UPDATE...

Precipitation type has changed over completely to snow in the
highlands here of northern Oakland County this evening. Combination
of steady near surface cooling T 33/Td 32 and wet bulbing with
persistent moderate precipitation rates has allowed for all snow at
the office with bright banding lighting up the radar. Gauging the
progression of precipitation within the stretching deformation
axis/occlusion or lack thereof, steady southward progression of the
cold air the remainder of the evening will allow most locations to
witness snowflakes before precipitation ends. A very quick snowfall
accumulation has been observed in grassy areas/on elevated surfaces
here at the office due to a period of large sticky aggregates. With
warm ground temperatures not expecting much issues on roadways across
area, but an opportunity certainly exists to witness a measurable
snow accumulation here on May 10th. The pivot of the band is largely
on schedule with latest HRRR runs, expect this precipitation to hang
around the area through 06Z before quickly waning.

April 2024:

There were freeze and frost advisories across Iowa overnight, but the clouds never cleared, so the temp remained stuck in the upper 30s to mid 40s.

• Like 1

This year the suns spotless days are outnumbering the pace of last I believe.  Today, we reached the 100 day mark...I believe last year it was a bit later in the calendar year.

Spotless Days
Current Stretch: 9 days
2020 total: 100 days (76%)
2019 total: 281 days (77%)

00z Euro suggesting temps surge next week into the upper 80's across the Great Plains by the 19th/20th as a massive ridge develops.  #TasteofSummer

Yep, hot and humid.

Yep, hot and humid.

Reminds me a lot of the pattern flip we saw a few years back in May that started off real cold and then a massive warm spell inundated the MW/Plains around Memorial Day weekend.  I don't exactly remember which year that was but I'm guessing it was 2018.

• Like 1

The first 10 days of May 2020 will go down in history as cold and some what dry. The mean here at Grand Rapids for May 1st thru the 10th is 48.2° and that is a departure of -7.1°. For a comparison the average mean for Grand Rapids for the month of April is 48.0 so the first 10 days have been more like a continuation of April. There has only been 0.21” of rain and a trace of snow was reported. Today’s forecast high of 47 will once again put today as one of the coldest maximum for this date. Looking ahead it looks like we will warm up to near average by the weekend. By Friday, the average high is 69 and by Sunday it is up to 70.

Reminds me a lot of the pattern flip we saw a few years back in May that started off real cold and then a massive warm spell inundated the MW/Plains around Memorial Day weekend.  I don't exactly remember which year that was but I'm guessing it was 2018.

More likely than not it was 2018. April was very cold that year and the flip started at the end of April. May 2018 was much warmer at the start than this May has been. But starting on May 24th it became hot with highs in the upper 80's to the mid 90's  No word yet on the frost damage here. I reached out to some local farmers to see if they will give a report. It maybe they do not know yet.

• Like 1

Reminds me a lot of the pattern flip we saw a few years back in May that started off real cold and then a massive warm spell inundated the MW/Plains around Memorial Day weekend. I don't exactly remember which year that was but I'm guessing it was 2018.

It was 2018. I remember it well because in the 3rd week of April we had an 18” snowstorm. But by Memorial Day weekend we were under Excessive Heat Warnings with temps in the low 100s. Truly remarkable change is a relatively short amount of time.

• Like 1

It looks like it will take two weeks or so to get a report on how much damage was done form the freeze. If some of the flowers do not develop fruit that is ok but if a lot do not develop then that is bad. But it looks like it could take up to 2 weeks to find out.

• Like 1