May 2020 Observations and Discussion

St Paul Storm

Numerous Tornado reports across the MW yesterday which easily was the most active severe wx threat of the season thus far.  Most of the direct hits were north and south of Chicagoland proper.  Joliet, IL got a direct hit right through downtown and a tornado warned cell tracked just to the west of my brothers place in McHenry.

Any of you in OMA get hit this morning by the line of storms?

1.gif

• Like 1

As we roll through the remainder of this month, is a legit heat wave trying to build out in the Plains/Upper MW to open June???  The 00z Euro is firing up the furnace in the SW with highs topping out at 111-115F in the "Valley of the Sun" next weekend and this ridge will poke its way into the central CONUS.  This pattern heading into Week 2 screams "Ring of Fire" for those on the periphery (North and East) of this Summer time Ridge.

1.png

• Like 1

This is off topic but I went out and took advantage of all the incredible deals at the stores yesterday.  It really felt like a sense of normality and life is heading in the right direction. Even though the lines were long, you couldn't complain when you were paying at the cash register.  Nice to see the local economy is strong and people were spending money like crazy.  It was "Christmas in May"...seriously, when the rest of the country opens up, esp back home in Chicago, you'll see people flooding to the stores.  The consumer is back...

Edit: Oh, and the Sun continues to Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Spotless Days
Current Stretch: 22 days
2020 total: 113 days (78%)
2019 total: 281 days (77%)

• Like 1

Attm, its gorgeous outside w sunny skies n temps at 61F.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

This is off topic but I went out and took advantage of all the incredible deals at the stores yesterday.  It really felt like a sense of normality and life is heading in the right direction. Even though the lines were long, you couldn't complain when you were paying at the cash register.  Nice to see the local economy is strong and people were spending money like crazy.  It was "Christmas in May"...seriously, when the rest of the country opens up, esp back home in Chicago, you'll see people flooding to the stores.  The consumer is back...

Edit: Oh, and the Sun continues to Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Spotless Days

Current Stretch: 22 days

2020 total: 113 days (78%)

2019 total: 281 days (77%)

The deals were too awesome. I did some searching between Home depot, Menards, and Lowes yesterday and I gotta tell ya, Lowe's was the one that I picked. It beat them all. You would not believe the type of sales they had going on. The only thing is that I did not go inside the store for my shopping. I did a curbside. :blink: I do prefer going inside the store, but do not feel too comfortable for that just yet.

As for record heat: 85 to 90 today here in mby and near 90F or slightly better for Monday w a H.I into the 90s. What an excellent MDW weatherwise. Tbh, I would not mind a t'stm to pop up outta nowhere. It has been awhile since I have seen severe weather here in SEMI. Anyways, enjoy your holiday!

• Like 1

Got an early wake up call this morning as Mother Nature delivered a nice line of thunderstorms to the Omaha metro.

Stayed the night in our camper down near Cedar Creek, about 25 miles south of Omaha to enjoy the holiday weekend. Picked up about .75 of much needed rain along with strong winds and a little bit of small hail, with more likely to come later tonight.

• Like 4

The deals were too awesome. I did some searching between Home depot, Menards, and Lowes yesterday and I gotta tell ya, Lowe's was the one that I picked. It beat them all. You would not believe the type of sales they had going on. The only thing is that I did not go inside the store for my shopping. I did a curbside. :blink: I do prefer going inside the store, but do not feel too comfortable for that just yet.

As for record heat: 85 to 90 today here in mby and near 90F or slightly better for Monday w a H.I into the 90s. What an excellent MDW weatherwise. Tbh, I would not mind a t'stm to pop up outta nowhere. It has been awhile since I have seen severe weather here in SEMI. Anyways, enjoy your holiday!

Enjoy yours to!  I'm prob going to hit up the pool after a whip up some breakfast tostada's w/ cilantro, avocado's, salsa....yumm!  BTW, all the bars/restaurants in Old Town Scottsdale were slammed and people were having a good time.  Might do that later tonight with some friends.

• Like 1

Got an early wake up call this morning as Mother Nature delivered a nice line of thunderstorms to the Omaha metro.

Stayed the night in our camper down near Cedar Creek, about 25 miles south of Omaha to enjoy the holiday weekend. Picked up about .75 of much needed rain along with strong winds and a little bit of small hail, with more likely to come later tonight.

I was thinking about you when I looked at the radar this morning...glad to hear everyone is scoring some precip during this active period.

• Like 1

Rainfall chances and amounts are lower today and this week for eastern Iowa than they had been. We'll see what happens.

I noticed that.  Models are much less bullish now.  Today looks dry and a few models have little, if any, rain through Tuesday morning.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Western Australia gets a storm that happens once in a decade.......

Western Australians were battening down the hatches on Sunday (May 24) ahead of the worst storm to hit the region in a decade.

James Ashley of the Bureau of Metereology Western Australia said they're expecting strong winds and heavy rains.

"Still expecting isolated gusts of up to 130 kilometres per hour. They're still possible, particularly in coastal areas today, and across the south west corner of the state overnight and into tomorrow morning. Rainfall will be widespread across the state. We're still expecting falls of up to 100 millimetres or so, right from the Kimberley across to the Pilbara and down the west coast."

The storm is being caused by the remnants of a tropical cyclone meeting a cold front and emergency services have warned of flooding and dangerous seas.

Attm, it is mostly sunny w temps near 80F. Absolutely splendid outside.

Warm and humid here, finally.  I'm pretty sweaty after mowing.  A week ago I was wearing sweat pants, a sweatshirt, and a stocking cap while mowing.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Just another casual Excessive Heat Warning for PHX in May. How did they manage to get 5 million people to live in that area, they're getting cooked alive 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Gorgeous evening out there w temps at 82F even at this hour. At one point, the skies looked ominous for storms, but no cigar.

The NAM continues to show not much rain for ec/se Iowa through Tuesday.  Most of the action remains across western and central IA.

Just another casual Excessive Heat Warning for PHX in May. How did they manage to get 5 million people to live in that area, they're getting cooked alive

Just another day in paradise...palm trees, sunshine and the Heat...when I first started coming here I could not tolerate temps of 100-105F, but now, it’s a cake walk. Once temps get to 110-115F it’s unbearable.

• Like 1

Now the Euro has no rain here until Wednesday, and even then it's not too much.  What the hell.

Happy Memorial Day everyone!  As we honor our fallen men and women in our armed forces, I'd like to take a moment and thank them for their sacrifices.  Enjoy the holiday with family and friends.  I know I'll be grilling and swimming later today and enjoying temps in the double digits before the triple digit heat makes a comeback for a long stretch.

BTW, this is for those back in Illinois...did the governor make any indication of opening up the gyms, stores, etc???  I heard it was around June 2nd but not sure.

• Like 1

Took a glimpse into the extended and June is likely going to open with a Summer Torch on Day1of met Summer across the central Plains.  I always find it synergistic when nature and the calendar align.  The first real signs of a significant Heat Wave is in the cards as a widespread ridge fires up along with a "Ring of Fire" pattern that'll ignite some boomers, esp up across our northern members where it has been lacking.

This is off topic, but last night I had a dream that Jaster posted on here.  Hopefully he is lurking and will chime in on here soon.  Just thought I'd mention that since some of us have been thinking about him.

• Like 2

The sun has now broken thru the clouds. The low here at my house was just 61 and at this time it is now at 77 with a DP of 67 according it my weather station that gives me a heat index of 78. Yesterday was the first time I had the AC on this year. I now have central air but that was not always the case. We had just fans until May of 1991. That is when I bought a window air conditioner from Builders Square. Anyone still remember Builders Square? And I did not have central air until 1998.

Took a glimpse into the extended and June is likely going to open with a Summer Torch on Day1of met Summer across the central Plains.  I always find it synergistic when nature and the calendar align.  The first real signs of a significant Heat Wave is in the cards as a widespread ridge fires up along with a "Ring of Fire" pattern that'll ignite some boomers, esp up across our northern members where it has been lacking.

This is off topic, but last night I had a dream that Jaster posted on here.  Hopefully he is lurking and will chime in on here soon.  Just thought I'd mention that since some of us have been thinking about him.

I will keep looking. I know Jaster post on another site under a different screen name. I think I seen him post a couple of weeks ago under that name. I do not post on that side but if I see his name on there I will let you know. 

• Like 1

Ok, Jaster posted on another site 3 times in the month of May (or at least someone used his device) but there are post from his account on May 3rd and then on May 17 and 18.

• Like 1

Looks like I had officially 1.49” overnight. Most places received 1-3”. More light rain moving north. Temp at 53 degrees with a north wind gusting to 25 mph. I have to say it feels like late October. Sorry to those frying. I’m sure our time is coming. With all this moisture, corn and soybeans will grow like crazy when the heat and humidity arrive. Whenever that may be.

• Like 3

I woke up to some light rain with a couple brief downpours this morning, with my windows fully open (don't usually leave my windows open at night).  I love the sound of rain falling.  I only picked up 0.11", though.

• Like 2

It only reached 81° and max. dew of 74° here yesterday which is about perfect. First time it was in the 80°s, but had quite a few times in the upper 70°s earlier. Yesterday it was thundering awhile in the afternoon from storms in southern Iowa, but only sprinkles here in the evening from mamantus virga type clouds.

I awoke to thunder this morning and soon had on/off showers ending with 0.29”. It’s quite moist around here now. There was some erosion around 3-4 miles east from 1.50” of rain in a short time on Saturday morning.

Lots of clouds out there w a temp of 81F. Its muggy also, but not too bad. Lets see if the record will be broken today.

Yesterdays official of H/L was 82/62 at Grand Rapids. Wow I just looked and that high of 82 was the 15th warmest for any May 24th and the low of 62 was the 7th warmest low for the date. I would have thought by this late in May there would have been more year with warmer temperatures. 

Still at 53 degrees with moderate rain and north winds gusting to 25 mph. Not a great day to visit the area cemeteries. We visited our local cemeteries yesterday. Everything is so green and lush. Even though its been cool, I have to mow about every 3-4 days. When it actually gets hot and humid, we’ll be able to literally watch it grow.