The Weather Forums

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Miami Intl Airport received 7.08" of rain in just 5 hours. 14.67" in the last 3 days alone!  

What a night of active weather back home as I flip through social media.  I gotta ask my neighbor to check up on my place because there were some nasty storms that blew through last night!  ORD set a

We had a thunderstorm here about 6:45 pm. Video from my Twitter page.   https://twitter.com/toddwayneveal/status/1258550790920105984?s=21

Posted Images

This cyclone is beautiful. Spinning directly over the area with a clear deformation band that looks like a classic winter storm. 4 inches of rain and counting! We were extremely dry for over 2 months and now we're going to get a springs worth of rain in a few days time

• Like 3

TOR for Southern Lancaster lol wtf

Definite rotation signature just west of Hickman.

• Like 1

>1" Snowfalls for Fargo-Hector Int'l Airport in 2020-21: 10/20 (4.2"), 10/22 (2.7"),

Total Snowfall for 2020-2021 @ KFAR: 8.8"            Coldest Low: 9*F (11/17)

First flake of the season: 10/15 @ 21:27 CDT

Some sprinkles made it all the way to my area from that ULL, but that is all that it will provide. Cloud cover all day long, while north of my area remains sunny w temps in the 70s and even 80s in southern Canada.  Here my temps remained in the low 60s all day. Man, that will change in a heartbeat soon this MDW. :D

We also made it to the low 70s this afternoon.  There were clouds, but it was more cumulus and less dense, low stratus.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 6.8"

'19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

More rain Sunday and Monday will add to flooding concerns in Central Nebraska. Forecast says several more inches. Well our dry conditions ended quickly. Lots of standing water in newly planted fields. Most corn plants have emerged from the soil. Hopefully they are not drowned out.

To bad these storms are pivoting through in the morning during the most stable time of the day. Not sure yet if this first band will hit here.

The swirl of clouds over the central plains on visible satellite last evening was neat to see.

• Like 1

It looks like we should enter a very warm and humid period over the next several days. This has happened in the past so it is not all that unusual. There is some question as to how long this warmup will last as there are some hints to a cool down as we get past the first week of June. As has been said before a brief warm up then maybe a cool down. At this time it is clear here and 61.

Cloudy w temps in the cool 50s. Somebody will hit 90F this MDW. It will get hot! ;)

Some storms could be possible too during the 3 day holiday weekend, especially w daytime heating. Will have to keep an eye on that. Otherwise, it looks pretty dry b4 some wet weather moves in from a stalled front developing ova the region.

• Like 1

It briefly poured with a crack of thunder causing me to jump, but I think the heaviest part of this cell is passing just to my southeast. It was briefly severe warned earlier. Saw a 1/2" inch hail report. Another line is developing to my southwest again.

Edit: Got around 0.28" from the first cell with my weather station showing a max. rain rate of 4" briefly.

• Like 1

The Tornado drought has ended in Nebraska...1 report thus far from last nights interesting system that traversed the Plains.  It sure did look pretty on radar and today on viz satellite as the swirling clouds tracked slowly across the heartland.

CORRECTS PREVIOUS FUNNEL CLOUD REPORT FROM BARNESTON. FOLLOW UP WITH REPORT INDICATED THAT THERE WAS A BRIEF TOUCH DOWN. (OAX)

https://whirlwind.aos.wisc.edu/~wxp/goes16/vis/goes16_mw_3h.html

1.gif

• Like 1

I was on the west edge of the next tiny storm, but the rain rate seemed higher than the first storm! My niece around 7 miles southeast sent a picture of some decent hail there.

Picked up a measly tenth of an inch of rain from some passing showers yesterday. Amazing that areas just a few miles south and west of Omaha picked up one inch plus of precipitation the last few days.

Really hoping that we can cash in on some decent rains the next few days... all these misses on rainfall around here are starting to get annoying.

The last storm actually had a max rainfall rate of nearly 7" with a bit more rain. Almost 0.60" this morning. I'm guessing probably around 1" a few miles east of me.

I only received 0.14" this morning.  There's a decent cell, maybe with a bit of hail, missing me to the east right now.

'19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

The wind is southwest here now so I think any rain and severe threat is over for my place. About 15 minutes ago I heard the tornado siren in the small town 2 miles north of me. So I climbed the windmill and thought it looks like a small wall cloud on the northeast horizon beneath a small cell.

The warning wasn’t necessary for here as the storm was already past here, and watch could soon be dropped for my county once the cells exit soon.

Anyone see anything in the Iowa City area?

The latest line filled in at the last minute and dropped a quick quarter inch to boost my daily total to 0.40".  Like every heavy downpour this year, it was very brief.  There was no thunder.

• Like 1

I believe that storm just NE of Peoria is the one to watch in southern part of Chicago region. That’s the storm the HRRR has had a big helicity track through that part

Would really be targeting the Kankakee/Joliet region in IL. That’s one mean looking supercell with not a lot of interference or anything in its way right now.

I picked up 0.6" of rain in about 15 minutes from the storms that just moved through, at one point, the rain was falling at a rate of 2.88" per hour. Looks like more storms are trying to get going as well.

• Like 2

Would really be targeting the Kankakee/Joliet region in IL. That’s one mean looking supercell with not a lot of interference or anything in its way right now.

Confirmed tornado on it now

The cell north of there near Ottawa looks interesting too. Although the last few scans seem to suggest it might merge with the TOR cell and go linear.

Cells looking better now. Getting that look

ORD is up to 87F and blew past the forecasted temp of 80F. Severe storms getting close to my place. Hopefully nothing bad passes over.

• Like 2

Numerous Tornado reports across the MW yesterday which easily was the most active severe wx threat of the season thus far.  Most of the direct hits were north and south of Chicagoland proper.  Joliet, IL got a direct hit right through downtown and a tornado warned cell tracked just to the west of my brothers place in McHenry.

Any of you in OMA get hit this morning by the line of storms?

1.gif

• Like 1

As we roll through the remainder of this month, is a legit heat wave trying to build out in the Plains/Upper MW to open June???  The 00z Euro is firing up the furnace in the SW with highs topping out at 111-115F in the "Valley of the Sun" next weekend and this ridge will poke its way into the central CONUS.  This pattern heading into Week 2 screams "Ring of Fire" for those on the periphery (North and East) of this Summer time Ridge.

1.png

• Like 1

This is off topic but I went out and took advantage of all the incredible deals at the stores yesterday.  It really felt like a sense of normality and life is heading in the right direction. Even though the lines were long, you couldn't complain when you were paying at the cash register.  Nice to see the local economy is strong and people were spending money like crazy.  It was "Christmas in May"...seriously, when the rest of the country opens up, esp back home in Chicago, you'll see people flooding to the stores.  The consumer is back...

Edit: Oh, and the Sun continues to Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Spotless Days
Current Stretch: 22 days
2020 total: 113 days (78%)
2019 total: 281 days (77%)

• Like 1

This is off topic but I went out and took advantage of all the incredible deals at the stores yesterday.  It really felt like a sense of normality and life is heading in the right direction. Even though the lines were long, you couldn't complain when you were paying at the cash register.  Nice to see the local economy is strong and people were spending money like crazy.  It was "Christmas in May"...seriously, when the rest of the country opens up, esp back home in Chicago, you'll see people flooding to the stores.  The consumer is back...

Edit: Oh, and the Sun continues to Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Spotless Days

Current Stretch: 22 days

2020 total: 113 days (78%)

2019 total: 281 days (77%)

The deals were too awesome. I did some searching between Home depot, Menards, and Lowes yesterday and I gotta tell ya, Lowe's was the one that I picked. It beat them all. You would not believe the type of sales they had going on. The only thing is that I did not go inside the store for my shopping. I did a curbside. :blink: I do prefer going inside the store, but do not feel too comfortable for that just yet.

As for record heat: 85 to 90 today here in mby and near 90F or slightly better for Monday w a H.I into the 90s. What an excellent MDW weatherwise. Tbh, I would not mind a t'stm to pop up outta nowhere. It has been awhile since I have seen severe weather here in SEMI. Anyways, enjoy your holiday!

• Like 1

Currently, it is sunny and 75 here.  Now what happened to last nights rain?  The storms to the SW just did not make it here at all. Not that we need any rain at this time, but I was not expecting to receive no rain at all.