May 2020 Weather discussion for the PNW

HIO is still at 1.64” which is about a quarter inch below average MTD. Orographic lift zones have done much better than rainshadows this month relative to average*.

You should move out here towards the East side of Metro, been much wetter here. TTD is currently at 3.52", which is +1.16" above average at the moment. Also currently at +2.4 departure for the month heading into today.

You should move out here towards the East side of Metro, been much wetter here. TTD is currently at 3.52", which is +1.16" above average at the moment. Also currently at +2.4 departure for the month heading into today.

Troutdale airport (your houses) averages have always seemed a little funky to me. Even PDX is down to +1.5

Troutdale airport (your houses) averages have always seemed a little funky to me. Even PDX is down to +1.5

TTD has had some really warm lows this month due to the warm dry east winds blowing. There was a 3 day stretch earlier in the month where it only got down to 60/65/65 on three consecutive days. One of them was a midnight low and it only got down to 68 one morning. Very unusual for that to happen. I hope with this warm/hot finish to the month we can finish @ +3 or higher. That would be great!

• Like 1

TTD has had some really warm lows this month due to the warm dry east winds blowing. There was a 3 day stretch earlier in the month where it only got down to 60/65/65 on three consecutive days. One of them was a midnight low and it only got down to 68 one morning. Very unusual for that to happen. I hope with this warm/hot finish to the month we can finish @ +3 or higher. That would be great!

It’s kinda sad to craft an entire persona simply to try to annoy somebody. :lol:

I often wonder who you were on the Fox 12 blog.

The global lower stratosphere is warmer than average for the first time since 1993. Usually those spikes are induced by vulcanism, but this time it was internally driven.

Interesting..

• Like 2

It’s been an interesting month. Hot the first part and now another heatwave late. The east winds have been strong and very dry low dewpoints at the start but also been a wet month. Lots of variation.
  • Like 1

It’s been an interesting month. Hot the first part and now another heatwave late. The east winds have been strong and very dry low dewpoints at the start but also been a wet month. Lots of variation.

There was actually a relatively cool start to May. A lot of places had their coolest May temps in several years the morning of the 4th, in the wake of the cool troughing that was with us the 1st-3rd.

The second week certainly featured an impressive early season heatwave, though. Followed by generally cool and unsettled weather the last two weeks, and now another flash of warmth before we see a big crash with more rain and cool temps this weekend. Definitely a fun and dynamic month even if it ends up a little on the warm side.

• Like 1

There was actually a relatively cool start to May. A lot of places had their coolest May temps in several years the morning of the 4th, in the wake of the cool troughing that was with us the 1st-3rd.

The second week certainly featured an impressive early season heatwave, though. Followed by generally cool and unsettled weather the last two weeks, and now another flash of warmth before we see a big crash with more rain and cool temps this weekend. Definitely a fun and dynamic month even if it ends up a little on the warm side.

For sure, that’s a better analysis of the month. Portland is just under average rainfall for the month, I think we can finish above average if the thunderstorms pan out on Saturday
  • Like 1

Tim and Randy are the yellow areas hehheh

March and April were below normal in my area as I have mentioned many times... May was just a little above normal.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not really relevant-- but looks like I'm going to have to stick around on this part of the board for a while....I officially committed to University of Oregon as a BA major and psych minor :)

Welcome to the Ducks my friend!

• Like 3

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Welcome to the Ducks my friend!

We can root for snowstorms together!

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Not really relevant-- but looks like I'm going to have to stick around on this part of the board for a while....I officially committed to University of Oregon as a BA major and psych minor :)

Congratulations! Good choice!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**