May 2020 Weather discussion for the PNW

does this slide north into the puget sound?

If you go to weather.us they have different types of severe parameter weather maps. The 12z EURO shows lighting along the I-5 corridor tomorrow morning. Its showing lots of lighting for PDX Metro, especially along the Cascade foothills and extending up into Washington. ⚡

ACNWeg6.png

• Like 1

If you go to weather.us they have different types of severe parameter weather maps. The 12z EURO shows lighting along the I-5 corridor tomorrow morning. Its showing lots of lighting for PDX Metro, especially along the Cascade foothills and extending up into Washington. ⚡

ACNWeg6.png

Now I see why the Ecmwf was showing heavier precipitation along the eastern portions. Do you think it will be right?
  • Like 1

Nothing better than spending a warm sunny day on the lake! What lake is that? It has a nice deep blue color to it.

Tim just turned off his green filter and replaced it with a blue filter.

• Like 2

Tim just turned off his green filter and replaced it with a blue filter.

Green and blue in that pic. Enjoy your time in your parents basement!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

75/57 today....looks like we will only have 2 80+ days for the month of May this year. Month looks to finish off really wet...could be our biggest daily rainfall in awhile.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Green and blue in that pic. Enjoy your time in your parents basement!

Why did you stop posting EPS maps?

And I’m never sleeping in that haunted basement again.

Why did you stop posting EPS maps?

And I’m never sleeping in that haunted basement again.

Stopped looking. Don't need more bad news.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Wait Tim has done that before?

Yes... I flipped it. In the real world the trees are blue and the sky is green. Pretty cool huh?

20200529-202745.jpg

Slightly O/T question for the naturalists and tree geeks here (of which I know there are several):

Today I drove the Aufderheide Scenic Byway (FR 19) between Hwys 58 and 126 in the Western Cascades. At the road's summit is a meadow, around the edge of which is growing a stand of what appears to be Colorado spruce (picea pungens). This is way outside what the books say is the native range for this tree. Do you think some rancher planted a bunch of them a century ago (before it was National Forest) and they naturalized, or does the native range extend a lot farther west than the books say?

My guess is maybe it’s a really similar looking species of spruce that is native to the the central Oregon Cascades (there is a lot of conifer diversity in that region). Identifying some different species of spruce can mean really splitting hairs, or needles as it were. You might have to look closely to get a verified ID. Sometimes it’s only traits like needle length and cluster density that separate species. That, or maybe the range is really much farther than you believed and this is a Cascades sub species of the “Colorado” spruce.

I know of that meadow, at the Box Canyon Guard station, and it’s hard to imagine anyone planting a lot of non-native trees up there, let alone ranching there, before it became national forest land. It sits high in the mountains and far away from what would have been any other settlements at the time, at an elevation with very snowy winters. At the time Willamette National Forest formed this was likely a fairly remote location which was not even accessed by roads.

Thanks dude! So it’s gonna be hit or miss tomorrow. 8am, the map says 10am? I still might be asleep until noon. About to chug down a 6 pack of beer heh

The map says 10am CDT. That means Central Daylight Time. They are 2 hours ahead of us so the map is for 8am. Kind of unusual to see thunderstorms that early in the day but the EURO is giving a strong signal so I'm trusting it for now. Everybody needs to sleep early tonight!

Victory for the good guys at least!!!

Kind of like getting a cardboard cutout of a gold metal.

Maybe they will have a major glitch this winter and hit -4F while the rest of the metro is around 50 with SW winds. Historic*!

Slightly O/T question for the naturalists and tree geeks here (of which I know there are several):

Today I drove the Aufderheide Scenic Byway (FR 19) between Hwys 58 and 126 in the Western Cascades. At the road's summit is a meadow, around the edge of which is growing a stand of what appears to be Colorado spruce (picea pungens). This is way outside what the books say is the native range for this tree. Do you think some rancher planted a bunch of them a century ago (before it was National Forest) and they naturalized, or does the native range extend a lot farther west than the books say?

Could be Engelmann Spruce which grows at high elevations in the PNW.

https://oregonstate.edu/trees/conifer_genera/spp/spruce_spp.html#Engelmann_spruce