May 2020 Weather discussion for the PNW

This garbage is why no mets post here. I never mentioned global temperatures. You guys did.

I made a factual statement describing how upper level thermodynamic boundary conditions resemble those in post-volcanic years, and you guys rant about global tropospheric temperature trends and radiatively-forced volcanic cooling. Lol..

I make a factual statement about the anomalous upper level airmass a few weeks ago, and you guys respond with irrelevant crap about surface thermometer records over long periods of time, as if that’s somehow relevant to the point I’m making.

And you say *I’m* the one spinning false narratives? Give me a break.

This post on the other hand is going to bring pro mets in by the C130 load.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

And FYI, upper level cold extremes have not decreased, at least not across the NE US. Maybe in some areas they have decreased, but not in others.

The coldest 850mb temperature ever recorded at DCA/IAD occurred in Feb 2015, with records back to 1948. The coldest 850mb air masses ever observed in May and February have both occurred in the last 5 years.

For reference, there are no #1 cold records from the 1960s, and besides March 1950, there are none from the 1950s either. The 1948-1976 period had a grand total of three #1 cold records at 850mb. In just the last 7 years, there have already been two, with several close finishes.

This post on the other hand is going to bring pro mets in by the C130 load.

Fair enough. Edited.

I’ve probably been a d*ckhead lately. I’m just tired of answering for claims I never made, on multiple fronts, from people (apparently) uninterested in the topic(s) and/or scientific material.

And FYI, upper level cold extremes have not decreased, at least not across the NE US. Maybe in some areas they have decreased, but not in others.

The coldest 850mb temperature ever recorded at DCA/IAD occurred in Feb 2015, with records back to 1948. The coldest 850mb air masses ever observed in May and February have both occurred in the last 5 years.

For reference, there are no #1 cold records from the 1960s, and besides March 1950, there are none from the 1950s either. The 1948-1976 period had a grand total of three #1 cold records at 850mb. In just the last 7 years, there have already been two, with several close finishes.

It is funny how people choose to focus on 850 temps or surface temps, depending on what climate narrative they are selling. 

There have been times where Justin has been much more focused on one or the other, depending mainly on which one makes the current climate appear more impotent.

A forum for the end of the world.

It is funny how people choose to focus on 850 temps or surface temps, depending on what climate narrative they are selling.

There have been times where Justin has been much more focused on one or the other, depending mainly on which one makes the current climate appear more impotent.

I’ve always preferred upper level temps. Surface temps can vary widely over topography, are more prone to contamination, and are only measured at a few widely-dispersed points on what is a structurally complex and thermodynamically-intricate surface/plane, with a complete absence of data every except for where observing stations are located. And again, land use changes/urbanization have already corrupted the majority of those records.

Surface temperatures don’t tell you much about the large scale picture, when you think about it. These surface stations were never designed with the intent of measuring long term climate change. People speak confidently about our efforts to fully initialize, homogenize, and spatially extrapolate/interpolate surface station data through which climate trends can be derived, but given the fact revisions to those datasets have exceeded previously published 99.7% confidence intervals on *multiple occasions*, it’s hard to take that narrative seriously anymore.

Springfield at 86F and EUG at 85F.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I want some t storms in the swamp. They are so cool. The rumble is mystic. The light show can be hypnotic.

Did you happen to see any of the thunderstorms on cinco de Mayo this year? Those were some decent thunderstorms.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

92/50 at Hillsboro today, 42F diurnal range.

93 for the high out here in Troutdale today. ♨️ Broke the old record for the day set back in 1972.

RECORD EVENT REPORT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PORTLAND OREGON 510 PM PDT THU MAY 28 2020 ...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT TROUTDALE OREGON... A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 93 DEGREES WAS SET AT TROUTDALE OREGON TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 91 SET IN 1972.

9 degrees short of a record at PDX. ☃ Very sad.  :(

I hope it hits 110 this summer to make up for it!!! ♨

That's a lot of emojis...

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

88F for a hi in Springfield. South valley was widespread upper-80s.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

A few years Portland was forecasted to reach 112 and 113 for a few days. Then the wildfire smoke came and kept the temperatures down and it didn’t make it. The 107 is low hanging fruit. It will fall soon:

A source of controversy in these parts...I don't think anyone believes it would have topped 110 without the smoke, but perhaps the all-time record was in reach.

I wouldn't call 107 low hanging fruit. 102 in June is, though.

What do global temperatures have to do with this? I get “touchy” when people deny objective reality. Your implications are demonstrably false.

The US had never once recorded a 500mb temperature of -40C during the month of May until 2020. Not in the radiosonde records back to WWII, not in the NCEP-NCAR reanalysis back to the 19th century, not anywhere.

Furthermore, it had the largest standard deviation ever recorded in terms of 500mb temperatures over the US, for any airmass, warm or cold, at any time of year.

Implications like the U.S. and the world at large continue to fry? I didn't realize that wasn't an objective reality.

And I'd love to see a breakdown showing how much more impressive the early May D.C trough was than something like December 23-25, 1983. I'm sure you'll have plentiful data as always when pressed.

Surface temps do a plenty good job of that all on their own. Have you looked at a global temperature anomaly map recently?

It's funny how hard a select and predictable few on here fight the simple point that the 21st century climate has been abysmal at producing cold of significance relative to the previous two centuries. It almost seems like it should be common sense, so I feel a little weird about having to be such a broken record, but you guys just persist year after year with this stuff.

Implications like the U.S. and the world at large continue to fry? I didn't realize that wasn't an objective reality.

And I'd love to see a breakdown showing how much more impressive the early May D.C trough was than something like December 23-25, 1983. I'm sure you'll have plentiful data as always when pressed.

Most the U.S. hasn't exactly fried the past couple years. Phil kinda has, though!

cd174.29.57.90.148.21.22.24.prcp.png

• Like 1