May 2020 Weather discussion for the PNW

Coming soon to a PNW airport near you!

Also worth noting that a lot of our mega heat wave years were actually followed by winters with decent arctic airmasses (2009, 2006, 1998, 1988, 1981, 1961, 1956, 1942, 1941). We definitely want them.

Yes we do.

2008, 1990, and 1972 had some pretty good heat events at least. And the famed cold summer of 1955 actually topped out at 100 in Seattle with the big early June event.

Meh. I've just never seen a real correlation between summers and following winters in the PNW.

That was a helluva event in early June 1955, though.

A forum for the end of the world.

Meh. I've just never seen a real correlation between summers and following winters in the PNW.

That was a helluva event in early June 1955, though.

There's not a huge correlation, but it is fun when we can pair up significant events in a single year. I had a 101 degree spread in 2009. Hottest and coldest temps of the century still that year here.

Portland, ME is half the city of Portland, OR (city of my birth).

But seriously, it's way bigger and has a TV show.

The weather is better in the small Portland, though.

Apparently the weather in the PNW is more interesting to you.

At this time of year, it definitely is.

It’s 73°F with 100% humidity here at 230AM. Grotesque.

A few years Portland was forecasted to reach 112 and 113 for a few days. Then the wildfire smoke came and kept the temperatures down and it didn’t make it. The 107 is low hanging fruit. It will fall soon:

Aside from maybe some raw output on a few GFS runs 5-6 days out, 112-113F was never in the cards for August of 2017. Smoke or no. Even without the smoke it’s unlikely they would have gotten above 105-106F with that airmass.

How hot can it get in Florida?

Rarely gets over 100°F, but it always feels like 100°F+ in the afternoon. I really think daily forecasts should at least list the heat index (perhaps even replace temperature with heat index and wind chill, since that’s what it actually feels like to the general population).

I dislike all heat, but I can tolerate desert much better. I’ve been to Scottsdale AZ during the summer in 110°F temperatures. At least your sweat actually evaporates/cools you down when it’s dry. With swamp heat, the sweat just drips down your face and back like hot water leaving a sponge, soaking you in warm juices. It’s disgusting and you can feel your interior body temperature rising if you’re out in it for too long.

Give me 110/45 over 90/75 anytime.

• Like 2

With no smoke, 107 would have been broken for sure. Low hanging fruit because the record of 107 is from 1965 and 1981. The climate in Portland has been warming since then. Especially the last ten years. Other parts of the country have seen numerous new all time record highs. Seattle went from 100 to 103 so Portland reaching 110 can happen.

The 107 will eventually get broken someday. Records are meant to be broken or shattered.

• Like 1

Coming soon to a PNW airport near you!

Also worth noting that a lot of our mega heat wave years were actually followed by winters with decent arctic airmasses (2009, 2006, 1998, 1988, 1981, 1961, 1956, 1942, 1941). We definitely want them.

Yeah, even recently we've had some really warm/hot summers lately followed by cold snowy winters. 16-17 and 18-19 immediately come to mind. Also I know it was the reverse but December 2008 was the snowiest winter I ever experienced and then the following summer he had that epic heatwave. Extreme weather seems to feed off of extreme weather. Maybe some type of feedback loop occcuring.

Shawnigan Lake is sitting at 2.52” of rain for the month. Looks like most of the rain and thunderstorm potential will miss us to the east tomorrow. Could be some very heavy rain in the lower mainland and southern interior. Some high stream flows are expected in the interior with hot weather today and heavy rain tomorrow.

• Like 1

Aside from maybe some raw output on a few GFS runs 5-6 days out, 112-113F was never in the cards for August of 2017. Smoke or no. Even without the smoke it’s unlikely they would have gotten above 105-106F with that airmass.

I saw 112 and 113 I think on channel 8. Matt Zaffano was doing the forecast. It might not have reached those temperatures but 106-109 was likely without the smoke.
  • Like 2

Yeah, even recently we've had some really warm/hot summers lately followed by cold snowy winters. 16-17 and 18-19 immediately come to mind. Also I know it was the reverse but December 2008 was the snowiest winter I ever experienced and then the following summer he had that epic heatwave. Extreme weather seems to feed off of extreme weather. Maybe some type of feedback loop occcuring.

I got here from Florida in January 2009 so I missed the big snowfall by like 2 weeks.
  • Like 2

Rarely gets over 100°F, but it always feels like 100°F+ in the afternoon. I really think daily forecasts should at least list the heat index (perhaps even replace temperature with heat index and wind chill, since that’s what it actually feels like to the general population).

I dislike all heat, but I can tolerate desert much better. I’ve been to Scottsdale AZ during the summer in 110°F temperatures. At least your sweat actually evaporates/cools you down when it’s dry. With swamp heat, the sweat just drips down your face and back like hot water leaving a sponge, soaking you in warm juices. It’s disgusting and you can feel your interior body temperature rising if you’re out in it for too long.

Give me 110/45 over 90/75 anytime.

Agreed, the massive diurnal swings would be fun to experience as well.

• Like 1

I saw 112 and 113 I think on channel 8. Matt Zaffano was doing the forecast. It might not have reached those temperatures but 106-109 was likely without the smoke.

Based on what? There were some crazy runs in the several days leading up to it, but that airmass verified just about where our 105-106 degree heat events historically have.

• Like 1

Based on what? There were some crazy runs in the several days leading up to it, but that airmass verified just about where out 105-106 degree heat events historically have.

DI-16hVV4AAoOU8.jpg

The smoke from the eagle creek fire drifted into Portland keeping temperatures down. Most channels had 106-109.

• Like 1