June 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Ok, here is an updated list of some low temperatures across Michigan this morning (June 13th) Remember some of the readings may not be official.

39 Copper Harbor, Escanaba, Menominee

38 Houghton Lake, Baldwin, Houghton

37 Newberry, Sault Ste. Marie

36 Cadillac, Iron Mt., Manistique, Big Bay

35 Manistee

34 Leota, Mio, Marquette, Seney

33 Gwinn, Munising, Sawyer, Raco and Rudyard

32 Pellston

31 Stonington

30 Ironwood, Watersmeet

29 Wakefield, Doe Lake

27 Kenton

The low a both my house and GRR was 48.

• Like 3

Upper 40s in Superior, WI this afternoon just on the other side of Duluth. Cold breeze blowing across the length of L. Superior.

Yuck.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Another beautiful day on tap for here. 63.3*F.

Yes, we have been having gorgeous weather and will continue to do so. Almost broke the record low of 42F in Detroit last nite, which was set back in 1978. It got quite chilly for June standards.

Next shot of rainfall, hopefully by next weekend, along w heat and humidity. There is a chance for a heatwave starting late next week, if we can keep 3 days or more at 90F or better. We have a good possibility for that verifying. We will see.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Attm, 57F under sunny skies.

April 2024:

The GFS is very stormy across Iowa late week into early weekend.  It has strong MCS action Thu and Fri nights.  The Euro is a bit less wet, but very similar.

gfs_apcpn_ncus_26.png

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

This morning was another cold June morning across Michigan as several locations got down to 32 or below and there may have been frost at several other locations. Here is a list of some of the locations that got down below 37

29° Roscommon and Leota

30 Doe Lake

32 Kenton, Raco, Cadillac, Grayling and Barton City

33 Marquette and Baldwin

34 Wakefield

35 West Branch

36 Gaylord and Seney

37 Alpena

The official low of 42 at Grand Rapids tied 1958 and 1933 for the 3rd coldest low for any June 14th the record low is 38 set in 1978 and in 2nd place is 40 set in 1942. So no heatwave for this weekend in 2020.

It's the official start to the Monsoon Season and it couldn't come soon enough.  The forecast over here is quite dry and windy which is aggravating forest fires across the state.  In fact, there is a large 14,000+ acre brush fire about 10-15 miles away from my place here.  Yesterday, the winds in the morning for a short window were out of the NE which brought the smoke into our nieghborhood and you could smell it quite easily.  It reminded me of bon fires but it had a slightly different smell to it.  I'm posting a link that shows a map of the fires and the hwy adjacent to Fountain Hills (Beeline Hwy) that is closed all the way up to Payson which we take for our trips.  I've never seen fires this close to our area in all the years of come out here.

https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/06/14/wildfire-closes-sr-87-northeast-of-phoenix/

Here's another link: https://www.abc15.com/news/region-northeast-valley/crews-battling-bush-fire-along-state-route-87-near-bush-highway

Thankfully, there aren't any residential or commercial properties in this area.  The fire is 0% contained since yesterday.

Spectacular view of Mars last nite during Moonrise at about 2:59am. Had to look on the upper right hand side of the moon. Great stuff.

• Like 1

April 2024:

Attm, its 62F w sunny skies

April 2024:

Got a decent burst of heavy rain that lasted about five minutes. Anything helps seeing that the grass is brown right now.

I leave for Fargo in 2 weeks.

Good luck in your journey! ;)

• Like 1

April 2024:

Worth watching. Quite a model trend flop from a week ago. Guess the tropics were hogging the show.

I buy the cool shots throughout the entirety of the summer. Having harder time believing the rain will increase.

Highest Temps the next few weeks here I think, 88-91. That's just pure, real summer and coming up on average for here.

Garden of eden summer number 4 in a row underway.

• Like 2

The Euro/EPS continue to play catch up and trending wetter out in the central Plains of NE/KS and points east.  The following weeks pattern may be one that turns into a NW Flow "Ridge Rider" one that has multiple MCS outbreaks.  These are some of the better set ups for severe weather during the summer, esp when the nocturnal jet aides in these set ups.

1.png

Models are backing off of the heavy totals for east-central/southeast Iowa.  The Thursday night storms should now remain well west and north, and Saturday night now looks quiet as the front will have swept through already.  It's going to have to be Friday night and models are even trying to keep much of that out in western Iowa.

• Like 1

Heatwave Coming for SEMI (90s 4 straight days in a row here IMBY) and others as well. Unfortunately, it stays dry until the weekend and even then, I would not hold my breathe on any t'stms, as they will be hit n miss. This heat will be Thu-Sun.

April 2024:

Attm, its simply splendid outdoors w temps in the 70s and deep blue skies.

April 2024:

Models are backing off of the heavy totals for east-central/southeast Iowa.  The Thursday night storms should now remain well west and north, and Saturday night now looks quiet as the front will have swept through already.  It's going to have to be Friday night and models are even trying to keep much of that out in western Iowa.

Yeah I noticed. I need a good shot of rain again. I watered the strawberries yesterday as they need a lot right now when they are producing! Are picking 3-4 gallons off the patch every 2 or so days. Freeze most of them and eating them fresh. Yum

• Like 2

The CFSv2 and Euro Weeklies could not be more opposite of one another over the next 30 days.  The CFSv2 is cool and wet across most of the central CONUS, while the EPS is hot and dry....hmmmm, who wins this battle???  Based on pure gut feeling and the LRC, I'm in the near normal and wetter camp.  The CFSv2 is prob to cool across the southern Plains but I do believe it will get wet.  There is some guidance that blocking will result in lower heights across most of our central/southern Sub that will allow for an active pattern to set up.  The JMA weeklies from last week were showing this so its something to ponder on as we move along through Summer.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

• Like 1

It's been 90s with dews in the 50s for the past several days. You don't see stretches of dry heat too often here.

Dry heat is pretty common for this time of year. Wait till the corn grows. THEN you'll get humidity.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Nice morning, clear skies with a mild temperature of 67 at this time. With it getting a little dryer we will have a better chance of seeing temperatures climb higher each day but with the dryer air and lower DP the lows should fall back down to more conferrable levels overnight at least until the weekend.

Dry heat is pretty common for this time of year. Wait till the corn grows. THEN you'll get humidity.

Once you move to Fargo you will see some big temperature swings. Also I would think it would be less humid for the most part there. I have not been there but I have been to South Dakota and while I was there it was hot but not very humid. One day it was 97 but there was a nice wind and it did not feel bad at all

• Like 1

Once you move to Fargo you will see some big temperature swings. Also I would think it would be less humid for the most part there. I have not been there but I have been to South Dakota and while I was there it was hot but not very humid. One day it was 97 but there was a nice wind and it did not feel bad at all

Evapotranspiration is still very much a thing in Fargo, however, 70/50 is still a possibility during July which is just absolutely beautiful.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Excellent weather continues until further notice here in SEMI. Skies are sunny w temps at 72F. Humidity starts creeping in by Friday and especially by the weekend. UGH!!! Temps look to soar into the 90s starting Thu and lasting thru Sun.

April 2024:

Dry weather looks to dominate the area this week. That ULL in the Carolina's looks to remain far enough SE from my area to give us some rainfall, although, some clouds could make it here (and that would be the far southern zones of the area). That should be it as far as any affects from that low and that looks to be our only chance of some wet weather this week, which aint happening. The weekend has a slim chance for some t'stms (hit n miss). Good luck w that! Anyone lucky enough will get some nice needed water from Ma Nature.

April 2024:

Evapotranspiration is still very much a thing in Fargo, however, 70/50 is still a possibility during July which is just absolutely beautiful.

A while back I remember reading something written by the Grand Forks NWS office discussing the increase in observed humidity due to evapotransopration in the red river value as corn has increasingly replaced wheat in the area.  It makes sense especially as you realize by the end of july spring wheat is maturing and drying out while corn is still green and growing until september. 

Still, in comparison to a place like MSP or ORD, the humidity is lower in Fargo on average.     

• Like 2

Attm, its sunny and very pleasant w temps at 75F

April 2024:

Who said it doesn't snow in June......

NWTues-2.jpg?w=632

While accumulating snow will mainly impact the higher elevations of the northern Rockies Tuesday night, a few cities like Butte and Anaconda, Montana, could experience a few flakes.

Although accumulating snow is not unheard of for portions of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, this late in the season, it is rather unusual. For Butte, Montana, the latest accumulating snowfall of 0.01 of an inch or more on record occurred on June 21, 1916.

While for places like Yellowstone National Park, it is a bit more common to record snow in mid-June. A few recording stations in Yellowstone have recorded 0.01 of an inch or more of snow as late as early July. :o "No thanks."

"Anyone planning on camping in the higher grounds of Yellowstone National Park or the Grand Tetons should bundle up and have some snow gear packed with them," said Sadvary.

• Like 3

April 2024:

Who said it doesn't snow in June......

NWTues-2.jpg?w=632

While accumulating snow will mainly impact the higher elevations of the northern Rockies Tuesday night, a few cities like Butte and Anaconda, Montana, could experience a few flakes.

Although accumulating snow is not unheard of for portions of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, this late in the season, it is rather unusual. For Butte, Montana, the latest accumulating snowfall of 0.01 of an inch or more on record occurred on June 21, 1916.

While for places like Yellowstone National Park, it is a bit more common to record snow in mid-June. A few recording stations in Yellowstone have recorded 0.01 of an inch or more of snow as late as early July. :o "No thanks."

"Anyone planning on camping in the higher grounds of Yellowstone National Park or the Grand Tetons should bundle up and have some snow gear packed with them," said Sadvary.

Yellowstone N.P. can be very chilly in the middle of the summer. At least it was years ago when I was there.

The UK and a few other models are showing heavy rainfall again for parts of eastern Iowa, but the Euro is lame still, and I’m hoping it’s not right.

• Like 1

Yellowstone N.P. can be very chilly in the middle of the summer. At least it was years ago when I was there.

The UK and a few other models are showing heavy rainfall again for parts of eastern Iowa, but the Euro is lame still, and I’m hoping it’s not right.

Yes, it gets chilly there in the Summer, I am aware of that. I was surprised that it can snow this late in the season.

Were you there in June, July or Aug. Did you like it being there for the first time.

April 2024:

"HeatWave coming"......

Thursday starts a four day stretch of 90 degree temps. Humidity will be high Fri thru early next week. That will put H.I values in the mid 90's Fri-Sun IMBY. :rolleyes:

As far as the ULL in the Carolina's, shower chances looks all but gone. Sunday will be the only significant rain opportunity and that will be from scattered t'stms. So, the probability on that looks kinda low as well.

April 2024:

I see that one of the Lincoln TV stations said June 1-15 was the hottest start to a June since 1887. 13 of the 15 days were 90 or above. Add today and tomorrow and might be the hottest. At least in my area, we have had a couple of really cool rainy days so I don’t think we are at Lincoln’s mark. Still many 90 or above days with a very persistent wind. Good in that it takes the edge off and dews have stayed in the 40’s-50’s. The bad, the hot and dry wind is really drying things out.

• Like 3