June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Hints of a quieter pattern on the EPS after this weekend... showing the storm track weakening and shifting a little farther north.

It has been showing the deep, cold trough for this coming weekend since it came into view over a week ago so hopefully it has a handle on the long range pattern.

Maps please.

Apparently there was 86,000 lightning strikes detected in Washington state with the storm on Saturday. 32,000 were in Oregon. 16,000 in western WA!

https://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/nearly-87000-lightning-strikes-in-washington-saturday-nearly-23-annual-average

Really was an awesome storm.

And a tornado felt I was back in Florida heh

Ran down to Smokey Point this afternoon, had a replay of the Husky vs Stanford football game from 2012 going in the truck. So between that and today having a look and feel of a nice late September day it really felt like an early fall day!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Ran down to Smokey Point this afternoon, had a replay of the Husky vs Stanford football game from 2012 going in the truck. So between that and today having a look and feel of a nice late September day it really felt like an early fall day!

Sun angles are way too high to mistake for late September right now, and the landscape is too green. You must not be a true sun angle aficionado if you were able to fool yourself. B)

• Downvote 1

Sun angles are way too high to mistake for late September right now, and the landscape is too green. You must not be a true sun angle aficionado if you were able to fool yourself. B)

Low 60’s and lots of puffy clouds floating by...

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Hints of a quieter pattern on the EPS after this weekend... showing the storm track weakening and shifting a little farther north.

It has been showing the deep, cold trough for this coming weekend since it came into view over a week ago so hopefully it has a handle on the long range pattern.

I think the control run will end to closer to reality, once again. The MJO/medium pass signal is returning to the EHEM over the next two weeks, which isn’t warm-west favorable.

I think the control run will end to closer to reality, once again. The MJO/medium pass signal is returning to the EHEM over the next two weeks, which isn’t warm-west favorable.

Well that sucks. It would be nice to break out of the rainy weekend cycle too. Let's get these troughs mid-week! But those are just my opinions. I respect that everyone else wants rainy, cold weekends all summer.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Well that sucks. It would be nice to break out of the rainy weekend cycle too. Let's get these troughs mid-week! But those are just my opinions. I respect that everyone else wants rainy, cold weekends all summer.

There’ll probably be some patten instability w/ a few warm/ridgy cycles in the second half of June, during the next MJO transit. Also AAM transports culminating around that timeframe. But in the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t look persistently warm out there in my opinion.

Essentially, the more dominant the MJO/higher frequency cycles are versus the low pass/-ENSO stagnant forcing, the warmer the overall outcome will be, all else being equal. Vice versa if the ENSO/stagnant forcing is more dominant.

I kind of agree with you here. Weekends need to be dry during this time of year.

Take advantage of any nice weather right now, that's easy.

Mother nature doesn't care what day of the week it is.

I do... but its easier to do that on the weekends when we aren't working.

I fully realize that nature does not care. Sometimes the rainy cycles have favorable timing and sometimes they don't.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I mean we better see this pattern again in winter.

This pattern in winter wouldn't be all that special. Maybe some cold NW flow which is good for the mountains but it's not a lowland snow pattern. 

The big cold in winter happens when you have a big ridge in the Gulf of Alaska extending up into Alaska. Having a ridge in the eastern US also helps. The cold then comes out of northern Canada and into the western US.

• Like 2

May ended up out here @ +2.9 with 134% of normal rainfall. A warmer and wetter month than normal.

I thought anything under a +3 was annoying chilly.

Looks like Troutdale had the biggest positive departure in the metro. Most other spots were +1 to +2.

A lovely evening for a walk, between the trails I have made on our 5 acres, and our neighbors 40 open acres it’s quite the fun walk!

45A5B59E-C4BA-41C7-A4F6-8DE0852FDEF0.jpeg

• Like 4

The 00z Euro is much sexier than the 12z.

Troughs on both coasts and a suppressed 4CH with a dynamic post-tropical cyclone crossing half of the US. Love it.

• Like 2

Warm next few days. But wunderground shows a high of 48 next Sunday! That's a -26 degree departure from the average high for June!

I wish I had easy access to record minimum high temperatures, wunder never seems to show them. I've had low-mid 50's in June before but I can't recall the last time I had a sub-50.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I know this is the June thread but any guesses on the 4th of July weekend?

This pattern of clouds and sun under the week with rain on the weekend will probably hold for another month.

I expect 4th of July weekend to be an absolute wash out.

Jesse, this ones for you!

• Like 1

I know this is the June thread but any guesses on the 4th of July weekend?

This pattern of clouds and sun under the week with rain on the weekend will probably hold for another month.

I expect 4th of July weekend to be an absolute wash out.

Jesse, this ones for you!

I can remember more warm 4th of July's than cool/mild, but I've never lived in Seattle. Portland/Hillsboro I think runs a decent chance at

NOT seeing 60's and drizzle.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

This weekend looks like a boring rainshadowed overcast pattern out here. Good thing it will only last a few days.

12z GFS ensembles show a troughy pattern holding into the long range.

916F414C-13B4-48E0-B521-5D5581F4E9F4.png

But don’t worry, I still called the waambulance for you.

• Like 1

Wonder when this thread will get tagged.

And hopefully lots of discussions on salmon paddy sandwiches with cheese. 

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26,