June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

EPS is not as pleasant in the long range today... another deep, cold trough is diving in right behind the weekend trough.   

Going to be a long wait this year with a Nina developing.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

EPS is not as pleasant in the long range today... another deep, cold trough is diving in right behind the weekend trough.

Going to be a long wait this year with a Nina developing.

It shows average precip and slightly below average temperatures overall. Pretty typical stuff.

What are you waiting for, exactly?

• Like 1

It shows average precip and slightly below average temperatures overall. Pretty typical stuff.

What are you waiting for, exactly?

Just the slowing down of these deep, cold troughs diving down... going to be a long wait this year which typical for a developing Nina.   Might not ever happen.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Hard to remain stoic in the face of fairly typical nearly June weather.

I am stoic about it and fully expect it.     Normal June weather is usually quite disappointing in terms of general summer expectations... which fly in the face of PNW climo.     

Every June needs to be 2015 or its bad.

Nina.

Silly stuff.   Not true at all.   But a developing Nina is definitely bad news for June... less so for July - Sept.

I know from 125 years of historical data that June can be very disappointing if you are expecting a full-on summery month like other places in the country.    Its probably the most annoying month for me most years because its the peak daylight month but normal weather includes many dark days and frequent rain.     That is normal here so to hope for anything more is just going to be disappointing most of the time.   

So I have to love every aspect of this climate?    I don't think many people on here love everything about our climate.    ;)

Deep troughs (relative to climo) are no less frequent than deep troughs in June.

If every summer flipped to anomalous ridging and above normal temperatures in July, it would become entrenched in the climatological averages.

Deep troughs (relative to climo) are no less frequent than deep troughs in June.

If every summer flipped to anomalous ridging and above normal temperatures in July, it would become entrenched in the climatological averages.

Yep... its normal. And its going to be a longer wait this year. Its why people around here say that summer starts July 5th.

It would be lovely to dry out a tad. Still had an area of water over the roadway today from the rain over the weekend.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Normal high in Seattle is either side of 70 in June... this might be a normal June period coming up but its not very summery.

20200602-150244.jpg

attachicon.gif9AF93910-892C-4A2A-92C0-1FF6D9E8157C.jpeg

Here is the average high by date for the 1991-20 period at Hillsboro.

Seems like summer starts here on June 19. Early June is still spring in this region but in exchange September is summery.

Odd quirk in the SEA data in which the average high is 69 for June 1-5 and then falls to 67 by June 6 and 7 and does not get back to 69 until the 15th.  

The average high in the 3rd week of May is just about the same as it is in the second week of June.   

Every June needs to be 2015 or its bad.

Nina.

What about June's like 2008, where it started rainy and ended with heat?

Or 2009, started off warm/sunny, maybe a week of gloom in the middle, and ended warm again going into July.

June 2015 won't happen any time soon again, warmest June on record in many locations.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

attachicon.gif9AF93910-892C-4A2A-92C0-1FF6D9E8157C.jpeg

Here is the average high by date for the 1991-20 period at Hillsboro.

Seems like summer starts here on June 19. Early June is still spring in this region but in exchange early-mid September is more summery.

Yup, I always laughed at the summer starts July 5th thing, that probably applies to only the rainiest/cloudiest stations in western WA.

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Fun fact: the last significantly rainy Fourth of July in Portland was in 1998.

How about Seattle?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Beautiful day out. Just about perfect. 77 degrees. Looks like a chance of convection this weekend, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Looks like the cascades could get some snow this weekend. That could be interesting for campers.

On another note, thank fuckk the June thread has started with mostly weather talk. The may thread was a constant clusterfuckk of personal attacks. Page after page. It's always the same players. You know who you are. Personally think some more forum moderation should occur. This forum becomes unreadable at times. That's why I rarely participate.

• Like 5

Beautiful day out. Just about perfect. 77 degrees. Looks like a chance of convection this weekend, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Looks like the cascades could get some snow this weekend. That could be interesting for campers.

On another note, thank fuckk the June thread has started with mostly weather talk. The may thread was a constant clusterfuckk of personal attacks. Page after page. It's always the same players. You know who you are. Personally think some more forum moderation should occur. This forum becomes unreadable at times. That's why I rarely participate.

ohhhhh waaaaaaaahhhh

Your shirt is ugly.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Yep... its normal. And its going to be a longer wait this year. Its why people around here say that summer starts July 5th.

Troughing (vs climo) doesn’t become less frequent in July. It’s equally frequent at all times of the year.

Troughing (vs climo) doesn’t become less frequent in July. It’s equally frequent at all times of the year.

Climo becomes higher heights and nicer weather.

So when's the summer forecast contest going up?

Along with the fairs, naked badminton, and pro beach volleyball... The 2020 summer forecast contest has been cancelled due to Covid.
  • Like 1