June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

The running temperature mean for the last 5 days is actually above average for almost the entire PNW. Not sure what you expect?

Meanwhile I came down with heat exhaustion while sanding the deck on this 95°F afternoon and started puking my guts out. And then some. Y’all need to stop whining about partly sunny 70°F afternoons.

Yesterday had a high of 79 with blue skies and low humidity (DP under 50 for the entire afternoon, bottomed at 29) and a low of 50. Wonderful June weather.

Today looks to be very similar, probably will end up around 75.

• Like 3

Looking like the high temp will be 65 again today. Sun never really fully came out but another nice early summer day still.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Another great day out here, perfect for golf this morning and now perfect for mowing!! Been alot of really great days lately!

Awesome!!!!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The running temperature mean for the last 5 days is actually above average for almost the entire PNW. Not sure what you expect?

Meanwhile I came down with heat exhaustion while sanding the deck on this 95°F afternoon and started puking my guts out. And then some. Y’all need to stop whining about partly sunny 70°F afternoons.

Hydration is key.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

perhaps you could have sanded the deck last month before it got hot.

Hindsight is 2020. Unfortunately I was still taking classes last month. Then my mom had hip replacement surgery as soon as hospitals opened up a to elective procedures.

First derecho of the season blasted thru PA/NJ yesterday with straight line winds to 90mph. Earliest derecho in the Mid-Atl since 2008. Analog?

In all seriousness, I was on the 2005/2007/2010 train, but with the QBO/tropical stratosphere behaving unconventionally..who knows? Might end up skipping another heartbeat and end up with downwelling westerlies ahead of schedule again.

• Like 2

Kind of OT, but the Atlantic SSTA structure is a perfect match to the “hyperactive season” analog set.

You just know 2020 ain’t done with the USA after the worst pandemic since 1918 and race-riots rivaling the 1960s in an election year. A few cat4/5 landfalls are a shoe-in.

• Like 1

Definitely a low pass signal for upper level convergence over the Pacific (La Niña-like) already present. Anomalous convection centered in the EHEM.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ventrice/real_time/timeLon/vp.anom.30.5S-5N.gif

Intriguing to note late-May saw a higher frequency convectively-coupled kelvin wave passage (or MJO if you don’t discriminate based on frequency alone), which temporarily brought the system into a more niño-like state, and the West didn’t blowtorch like it would have in previous years. That might have been thanks to the in-situ AAM transports and previous RWB cycle, but often times these tendencies towards particular wave forms over the middle latitudes reveal something. Could be that this summer’s “default” will be troughing in the west and maybe the northeast too. The latter is more questionable but I’m holding out for the possibility.

Definitely a low pass signal for upper level convergence over the Pacific (La Niña-like) already present. Anomalous convection centered in the EHEM. http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ventrice/real_time/timeLon/vp.anom.30.5S-5N.gif

Intriguing to note late-May saw a higher frequency convectively-coupled kelvin wave passage (or MJO if you don’t discriminate based on frequency alone), which temporarily brought the system into a more niño-like state, yet the West didn’t blowtorch like it would have in previous years. That might have been thanks to the in-situ AAM transports and previous RWB cycle, but often times these tendencies towards particular wave forms over the middle latitudes reveal something. Could be that this summer’s “default” will be troughing in the west.

My guess is that even with “default troughing” this summer will still end up above average.

My guess is that even with “default troughing” this summer will still end up above average.

If boundary layer temps are generally lower than average, it’s hard to imagine what would keep the surface warmer than average except for UHI.

And those warm west-coast SSTAs will probably be taking a significant hit shortly given the nature of the NPAC high expected over the coming weeks.

• Like 1

Next 7 days look rainy for this time of year on the gfs...pretty decent rain event mid next week

7 day rain totals.

BA9E25A0-D43B-4F95-974E-CF04DEC20B21.jpeg

204BED18-DD3A-4799-9B06-9378FCF4A6A9.jpeg

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0