June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

It’s real, but like the one in May, it’s tied to transient tropical forcing(s) within the constraints of the relevant seasonal boundary states. So the duration is questionable, and it won’t be handled well at-range. Especially now.

I prefer pattern changes with unquestionable duration. 

A forum for the end of the world.

We’ve picked up 0.57” so far today to hit 0.71” for June. Drizzly and 57...not much wind yet but Obs. Map indicates southerly winds increasing in areas just south of here.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Will just have to make sure we have frequent bouts of rain and cool weather this summer to help avoid that.

Good soaking two times a week during the nighttime hours is my preference.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

GFS has consistently shown Friday being wet and cold while the ECMWF has consistently shown it being dry and much warmer.

Recent history has proved that the GFS is actually better than the ECMWF with surface details now.   I am assuming that Friday will be wet and cold.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Hoping we can end up with some decent thunderstorm activity this weekend...this last weekend didn’t amount to much in my area. Last month was pretty awesome though!

75D08A59-F6A7-4576-8B2A-F6FDFEC0F561.jpeg

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Models also show some rain tomorrow and Thursday for western WA... not much a break for us for the next 8 or 9 days it appears.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

GFS has consistently shown Friday being wet and cold while the ECMWF has consistently shown it being dry and much warmer.

Recent history has proved that the GFS is actually better than the ECMWF with surface details now.   I am assuming that Friday will be wet and cold.

I think summer like weather will probably make its first appearance sometime late this month. Fingers crossed that the 4th (which is on a weekend) is dry.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

This absurd trolling is almost as annoying as seeing everyone get their panties in a bunch over a typical rainy pattern. Almost.

Truth is you live almost 3,000 miles way and no one really cares what you think our weather should be doing.

Personally I'm hoping we get somebody from Fargo to join the board so they can spend the entire winter telling us about how awful continental air is and how we shouldn't be rooting for anything other than endless SW flow. That would be extremely interesting and highly relevant.

• Like 6

I think summer like weather will probably make its first appearance sometime late this month. Fingers crossed that the 4th (which is on a weekend) is dry.

I just have more than a feeling the 4th is going to absolutely suck this year.

#itsmorethanafeeling

• Like 4

Preferences and opinions vs. opinions. Repeat twice a day unless otherwise directed by Dr. Phil.

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Time for some blue dream

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I lived in SW Yamhill County at the time and had a foot of snow, an inch of ice, and another foot of snow.

EUG had a bit of snow going into the initial Arctic airmass and then a couple of sub-freezing highs but then moderated as the low came in just a bit too far to the north so as to bring them marine surface winds.

EUG also hasn't had a White Christmas since 1990. Their longest streak on record without one.

So 30 years since a White Christmas. You are due dude!!
  • Like 2

So 30 years since a White Christmas. You are due dude!!

Personally I was able to enjoy one back in 2008, fortunately.

But the young winter weather enthusiasts in the south Willamette Valley know nothing of them, which is pretty fukkin sad to be honest. The near-miss back in 2008 as well as missing out on 2017 makes it seem as though a White Christmas will never happen again in Eugene in our lifetimes.

February on the other hand...

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Only ended up with 0.41" here today, about as fall-like a day as I've ever seen in June with the rain/wind this morning.

It’s been a bit breezy here too...definitely didn’t feel like June. So far it’s the 3rd wettest day I’ve recorded in the month of June in the last 15 years.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

But the young winter weather enthusiasts in the south Willamette Valley know nothing of them, which is pretty fukkin sad to be honest. The near-miss back in 2008 as well as missing out on 2017 makes it seem as though a White Christmas will never happen again in Eugene in our lifetimes.

Sorry meant to say for the Eugene area and since you are living there down you need a White Christmas. We received a White Christmas up here in 2017. It makes Christmas feel even more special, especially for the kids hehheh
  • Like 1

Sorry meant to say for the Eugene area and since you are living there down you need a White Christmas. We received a White Christmas up here in 2017. It makes Christmas feel even more special, especially for the kids hehheh

That was such a crazy event. So rare to get a white Christmas from Portland to Seattle, much less with such a marginal setup.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

Only ended up with 0.41" here today, about as fall-like a day as I've ever seen in June with the rain/wind this morning.

Close to an inch here today. 0.89” in the Davis gauge but it usually under reports during tropical like downpours such as we had this morning

Close to an inch here today. 0.89” in the Davis gauge but it usually under reports during tropical like downpours such as we had this morning

I have a Davis as well, didn't realize it under reports in those conditions. In my experience with heavy rains it seems to lag but eventually catches up from what I can tell. I've always wondered how well it does with sideways rain. There was some fairly heavy rain here early in the morning but it came with strong winds.

61/51 

.51 with on and off drizzle mostly this afternoon. The heavy moisture was earlier in the day.

Were at 0.75” over here...0.57” with the initial front and another 0.18” this evening.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Still waiting for a decent storm here this spring.

We’ve done pretty good so far this warm season with 2 decent thunderstorms last month. You guys usually miss out on the convection chances though it seems.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

The 0z GFS shows another healthy dose of rain through Friday, but it's on its own now with the ICON and GEM showing far less.

gfs_apcpn_nwus_12.png

Sunday is starting to look nicer west of the Cascades. Really at this point over the next 7 days the only guaranteed washout day appears to be Saturday. Friday could be very nice or it could be a washout... depends on the timing of the front.

Next Thursday looking like the start of summer on 00z GFS.

Prior to 1990, Eugene's last white Christmases were 1983, 1948, and 1924. In other words, it's pretty dang rare and not something that you would regularly anticipate.

• Like 2

We’ve done pretty good so far this warm season with 2 decent thunderstorms last month. You guys usually miss out on the convection chances though it seems.

True. Haven’t seen a decent thunderstorm here since I moved to this house in 2014. The mainland does better than the island generally

I have a Davis as well, didn't realize it under reports in those conditions. In my experience with heavy rains it seems to lag but eventually catches up from what I can tell. I've always wondered how well it does with sideways rain. There was some fairly heavy rain here early in the morning but it came with strong winds.

I’ve had 2 gauges on my Davis station. They have both seemed to under report during heavy downpours. I think the newest design of the rain gauge cone was supposed to alleviate some of the under reporting during windy conditions.