June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

This is true. Especially by July 4. Just because the temperature at 850mb is below average does not necessarily mean the surface temp is below average. A bit more complicated out here than east of the Rockies.

It’s similar here, actually.

Westerly downsloping winds often torch the surface even with below average 850mb temps. And E/SE winds produce relatively cooler/more humid conditions at the surface even with above average 850mb temps. All about wind direction and convection (or the lack there-of).

• Like 2

All this cold wad will be shot in June, some of the summer and Sept-late Oct then we will blowtorch from Nov-March...like usual. Maybe some action up north but I'm pretty meh on winter weather fun this far south. Up in Washington could be a different story at times.

I keep wanting to tell myself that late Dec and into Jan won't be shitt all the time and one day will deliver goodies in prime-time again...but being this far south makes it pretty tough. One of the worst inland spots for winter weather enthusiasts in Oregon, along with Douglas County. I mean, January just is always bad now down here...almost never changes outside of 16-17 it seems.

Down this way, at least. I realise it's been different up north.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

It's not as if we've exactly been "shooting a cold wad" down here lately. EUG is actually running warmer (+0.3º) and drier (-0.07") than normal for June so far, with a big warm-up on tap for next week.

Should have put "cold" in quotes since "cold" actually just means it's at historical normals anymore.

And there's not much to deny the fact that Dec-Jan has been bereft of goodies here (outside of 16-17) for quite some time it feels.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

It's not as if we've exactly been "shooting a cold wad" down here lately. EUG is actually running warmer (+0.3º) and drier (-0.07") than normal for June so far, with a big warm-up on tap for next week.

This is what we call Omegakold.

I.e. cold to someone who has only been paying attention to our climate for the last 3-4 years.

The 12Z EPS shows a little weaker ridging next weekend like the operational run but also shows the ridge holding through day 15.

And the most recent ECMWF weeklies run actually shows generally warmer than normal conditions through the end of July.    Its certainly not indicating any return to significant anomalous troughing.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nice day

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Yes... 2015 was an extreme June.   And many Junes around here feature a 1-2 week period of almost daily rain and temps failing to reach 70.   Its not usual at all.    

But there are also many really nice Junes in our local history going back to 1895 which were much drier and more summery than this June.    

Here is one of many examples... this is June 1903 in the Snoqualmie Valley.    I am sure this would have been a very unsettling June for some on here.   And it was 117 years ago.   Its not like June was always a rainy month even back then.    Side note... June of 1904 and 1905 were almost as nice.   

1903.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The 12Z EPS shows a little weaker ridging next weekend like the operational run but also shows the ridge holding through day 15.

And the most recent ECMWF weeklies run actually shows generally warmer than normal conditions through the end of July. Its certainly not indicating any return to significant anomalous troughing.

There’s a large (and growing) EPS cluster that completes the retrogression by D13-15, however. Even though it doesn’t show up on the mean (thanks to a slightly smaller cluster of insanely ridgy members).

Recall, the same thing happened in mid/late May and we were debating it. This is probably a re-run of that.

Also, I would disregard the weeklies. They’ve displayed a bias towards IPWP subsidence/faux PMM/+TNH for the last several months. Didn’t catch the current troughy pattern until it was

Keep an eye on the EPS mean 500mb progression for late June. In theory, you should begin to notice increasing heights offshore and lowering heights along the West Coast, for the period starting ~ June 25th. Unless there’s something I’m missing.

Yes... 2015 was an extreme June. And many Junes around here feature a 1-2 week period of almost daily rain and temps failing to reach 70. Its not usual at all.

But there are also many really nice Junes in our local history going back to 1895 which were much drier and more summery than this June.

Here is one of many examples... this is June 1903 in the Snoqualmie Valley. I am sure this would have been a very unsettling June for some on here. And it was 117 years ago. Its not like June was always a rainy month even back then. Side note... June of 1904 and 1905 were almost as nice.

1903.png

Is the green inches of rain? That would be a pretty wet stretch at the end of the month while still seeing highs in the mid to upper 70s

OT. I missed the May warmth when I planted some of my veggie garden this year. The seeds are rotting. I will have to replant.

Is the green inches of rain? That would be a pretty wet stretch at the end of the month while still seeing highs in the mid to upper 20s.

OT. I missed the May warmth when I planted some of my veggie garden this year. The seeds are rotting. I will have to replant.

Short period of rain... a couple inches. Probably southerly flow and thunderstorms.

Yes... 2015 was an extreme June.   And many Junes around here feature a 1-2 week period of almost daily rain and temps failing to reach 70.   Its not usual at all.    

Here is one of many examples... this is June 1903 in the Snoqualmie Valley.    I am sure this would have been a very unsettling June for some on here.   And it was 117 years ago.   Its not like June was always a rainy month even back then.    Side note... June of 1904 and 1905 were almost as nice.   

1903.png

June 2015 regionally was an anomaly. KLMT's average high that month is what July normally averages here (84).

Pretty sure Crater Lake didn't see snowfall that year in June, maybe a little in May.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Is the green inches of rain? That would be a pretty wet stretch at the end of the month while still seeing highs in the mid to upper 20s.

That station was comically overexposed. This is Seattle from the same month

V8nmXCi.png

Good chance that station was overexposed, FWIW.

Edit: Ninja’d by James Jones.

Oh wow. I honestly never could have imagined June was running a positive departure given some of the rhetoric on here.

The last 7+ years have been insanely anomalous up there. Nothing remotely close to climatology.

• Like 2

I never said this month was cold... but it has rained for 9 days in a row here now and it has felt cold with the average being boosted by cloudy nights. So it has not seemed like summer at all around here. And that is just the way it goes in June.

All this cold wad will be shot in June, some of the summer and Sept-late Oct then we will blowtorch from Nov-March...like usual. Maybe some action up north but I'm pretty meh on winter weather fun this far south. Up in Washington could be a different story at times.

I keep wanting to tell myself that late Dec and into Jan won't be shitt all the time and one day will deliver goodies in prime-time again...but being this far south makes it pretty tough. One of the worst inland spots for winter weather enthusiasts in Oregon, along with Douglas County. I mean, January just is always bad now down here...almost never changes outside of 16-17 it seems.

Down this way, at least. I realise it's been different up north.

You guys got absolutely clobbered in December 2013. You also got a ton of snow in February 2019. I agree though that you do need a good January snowstorm down there.

And the most recent ECMWF weeklies run actually shows generally warmer than normal conditions through the end of July. Its certainly not indicating any return to significant anomalous troughing.

**Breathes huge sigh of relief**

• Like 1

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

You guys got absolutely clobbered in December 2013. You also got a ton of snow in February 2019. I agree though that you do need a good January snowstorm down there.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, early Dec and Feb have had plenty of action and some nearly historic stuff like 2-25-19, but Christmastime and into most of January has been bush league outside of 16-17. It all flips one day though.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Downpour. Moisture building up on the Coburg Hills drops extra rain in Springfield compared to EUG.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Yes... 2015 was an extreme June. And many Junes around here feature a 1-2 week period of almost daily rain and temps failing to reach 70. Its not usual at all.

Here is one of many examples... this is June 1903 in the Snoqualmie Valley. I am sure this would have been a very unsettling June for some on here. And it was 117 years ago. Its not like June was always a rainy month even back then. Side note... June of 1904 and 1905 were almost as nice.

1903.png

That must of been one heck of an early summer heatwave with those temperatures up there.

That must of been one heck of an early summer heatwave with those temperatures up there.

Clearly over-exposed. I usually use the Snoqualmie data primarily for rain amounts and days with rain.

.02” on the day, drier than I thought it was going to be today. Got a little yard work in this evening after getting back from the Bellingham airport. Was nice up there.

Here it’s getting dark and it’s 55 degrees currently.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!