June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Did this ever verify? I don’t really care for extremely hot weather but it would be nice to see if we could ever break the all time record high for the US which is 134 set in Death Valley in 1913. Can’t believe that record has stood for close to 100 years.

Nope.

Also the 134 at Death Valley is probably fake. The real record is 129, also set at Death Valley.

Nope.

Also the 134 at Death Valley is probably fake. The real record is 129, also set at Death Valley.

I fully believe the record of 134. Despite being 86 years ago, the science didn't completely suck back then. They had some high quality mercury thermometers in play.
  • Like 1

And they say global warming is real. :rolleyes:

The last five summers have actually been some of the coolest and wettest in our history.

Yeah the highest I’ve seen recently is only 113°F on July 28, 2018, on my car’s thermometer. I’ve been trying to get NWS Portland to accept that as a heat record, but they won’t listen. :(

• Like 1

I fully believe the record of 134. Despite being 86 years ago, the science didn't completely suck back then. They had some high quality mercury thermometers in play.

IIRC the stations in nearby areas at the time were not reporting temps nearly as anomalous as the 134 in Death Valley.

On the other hand, I once didn’t believe the -69.7°F at Rogers Pass in 1954, but I uncovered some more info on it and now I believe it. It wasn’t at the modern Rogers Pass station, it was nearby in a place described as a “saucer-shaped depression”. There were several feet of snow on the ground as well.

I love how alive that cell was with motion! We’re so used to looking at almost motionless clouds that we need time lapse to make them dance. Most intriguing to my brain ! I did get a consolation prize of an amazing sunset down here last night!

Yeah, wish we had more instability in our climate here.

• Like 1

Yet to be seen. I can picture a lengthy stretch of warmth toward the end of the month to “make up” for this, and it’s not like there are huge negative anomalies to overcome right now anyway.

Very nice to finally see a wet June regardless, though.

The longer the CCKW takes to cross the Pacific and resume constructive interference, the warmer/drier the last 10 days of the month will be.

Subseasonal analogs continue the warmth until the first few days of July, so models might very well trend that way as well. Would be fitting for 2020 if the flip back to troughing happened right on the 4th of July. Theme seems to be maximum angst, so that’s my bet.

Y’all are gonna get nailed again. PDX too. If 16-17 becomes a solid analog then I think we will all be happy.

I definitely have better hopes for next year.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Holy craaaap this is a TORCH of a gfs run. All fantasy garbage but still... wow.

KSEA with 5 days at/above 90, KPDX with 6. And that's just through the end of the run. It still keeps going.

The ridge just keeps regurgitating in place. Unlikely to happen but a stretch of sunny and warm/hot weather for the remainder of June isn't out of the question.

Getting some heavy rain here as well with a few ice pellets mixed in.

Ice pellets? Holy d**n. Send that my way plz!

Latest CFS ensemble members go a little crazy, down into super-Nina territory :lol:

june15cfs.gif

Basin is pretty cold right now. Latest anomalies as of June 10 show more significant cooling

Region 4: 0.0C

Region 3.4: -0.6C

Region 3: -0.9C

Region 1.2: -0.8C

Coldest we've seen at this juncture in the season in a long time.

And there’s a strong trade wind burst on the way for the last week of June, onwards into July.

Definitely going to see more ENSO cooling after the solstice this year.

• Like 2

Ice pellets? Holy d**n. Send that my way plz!

It was pretty brief but always cool to see when the rains coming down that hard.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

It’s the CFS though, Phil says it’s crap

Even a broken clock is right twice a day!

A functional clock can be right 0 times per day.

• Like 1

Nope.

Tim has a second home there.

Western Maryland frequently has dew points of ~135F, FWIW.

Come visit us this summer. Ideally between 7/15 - 8/15.

You’ll believe me then.

The longer the CCKW takes to cross the Pacific and resume constructive interference, the warmer/drier the last 10 days of the month will be.

Subseasonal analogs continue the warmth until the first few days of July, so models might very well trend that way as well. Would be fitting for 2020 if the flip back to troughing happened right on the 4th of July. Theme seems to be maximum angst, so that’s my bet.

Even if we see a pattern change on or before the 4th, it’s unlikely it would be wet at that point in the season. Probably dry and cloudy at times at “worst”.

• Like 1

This would have probably set an all time record high for Redding if this had verified. Their record high is 118.

The highest temp on record for the Sacramento Valley is 121 in Red Bluff in August 1981. That map shows a max of 125-126 at hottest along the Sacramento River. Laughable.

• Like 1

So you think a cool July in the northwest?

So you think a cool July in the northwest?

Phil said it would be somewhat like 2016. That July was average temperature-wise here with no big heat. There was a minor heat event at the end of the month, other than that it was all 70s and 80s in Portland.

• Like 1

Come visit us this summer. Ideally between 7/15 - 8/15.

You’ll believe me then.

I’d wanna live in Tim’s dank, dreary disaster of a climate a thousand times over before I’d wanna live in your shithole of an armpit.

I would visit, although it sounds like you’ve already got a Full House minus the Olsen Twins.

• Like 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I’d wanna live in Tim’s dank, dreary disaster of a climate a thousand times over before I’d wanna live in your shithole of an armpit.

I would visit, although it sounds like you’ve already got a Full House minus the Olsen Twins.

LOL.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Phil said it would be somewhat like 2016. That July was average temperature-wise here with no big heat. There was a minor heat event at the end of the month, other than that it was all 70s and 80s in Portland.

That August was a scorcher though. I’d rather have a hot July then cool August, get the heat out of the way heh

The highest temp on record for the Sacramento Valley is 121 in Red Bluff in August 1981. That map shows a max of 125-126 at hottest along the Sacramento River. Laughable.

Sort of similar to the cold season when the GFS spits out very cold temperatures sometimes. It's just normal for temps to moderate a bit towards climo as you get closer to the event.

• Like 1

Fun Fact: The highest heat index ever recorded was 178ºF in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia with a temperature of 109ºF and a dewpoint of 95ºF.

Still not as hot and humid as Phil's house.

• Like 1