June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Fun Fact: The highest heat index ever recorded was 178ºF in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia with a temperature of 109ºF and a dewpoint of 95ºF.

Still not as hot and humid as Phil's house.

Heat stroke in 5 seconds

That’s death.

Fwiw our highest dewpoint ever recorded was 89°F. Not too far off!

I'm still alive. I've experienced hotter heat indexes than that, although your naked in saunas. I regularly use a sauna even during the summer due to it's great health benefits. Excellent way to detoxify your body of bad toxins.

• Like 2

Yeah, it’s a thick, heavy, suffocating steam bath. This year has been tolerable so far (), but June is pretty tolerable most years anyway.

You might be able to pull your data. Where do you live? Does the station have a full obs archive?

The closest official reporting station is KEUG, but their records are asss.
  • Like 1

Probably slightly cooler and drier than average is my guess right now. Though it’s been wetter than I’ve expected thus far, so who knows. But IMO the tendency should be towards offshore ridging/-PNA with time, instead of this more zonal GOA trough regime.

I hope your forecast is better than the Cfs heh

Probably would have worked on the eastside. Most places south of Bend got below -20 with that blast.

Speaking of that area, wonder how cold Hole in the Ground in far NW Lake County can get in winter. It has to be a prime radiational cooling spot.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hole-in-the-Ground

It definitely would have worked that day. Redmond got to at least -30 and Bend somewhere in the -20's.
  • Like 1

I'm still alive. I've experienced hotter heat indexes than that, although your naked in saunas. I regularly use a sauna even during the summer due to it's great health benefits. Excellent way to detoxify your body of bad toxins.

How hot does it get inside a sauna? I only been in one once, I went to get a massage once in downtown Portland and they said I can take a 15 minute sauna to open up my pores before the session. I don’t remember the temperature but it was so uncomfortable. Never again!
  • Like 1

That's crazy high. As I've mentioned before, I've been in the DC area 3 times before, all during July or August. It is completely gross and also disgusting.

I've always wondered what the highest DP here ever recorded was. I'm guessing 73 or 74, but I have no idea how to look that stat up.

DC is nothing compared to New Orleans in July. That was awful. Literally take one step outside and you start sweating profusely. At night.

A forum for the end of the world.

Between heat stroke, the rona and mass-murdering cops, this gonna be one deadly mofo of a summer.

And I cannot keep my black truck clean...Truly horrific times.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Gross... and also disgusting?    Can't believe its both.

It is both. To illustrate, we've all seen your gorgeous pics of the blue skies in the summer, fall, etc. Imagine if you had a several day stretch where the sky color never changed. I observed that there. There were tstorms that you could never see unless the sky flashed. It was sunny, but also cloudy. You just couldn't tell other than you have to find A/C immediately.
  • Like 1

The closest official reporting station is KEUG, but their records are asss.

That’s putting it kindly. The weather between there and Springfield seems vastly different at times.

Still salty about being in Texas during that historic early Dec 2013 event.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

DC is nothing compared to New Orleans in July. That s**t was awful. Literally take one step outside and you start sweating profusely. At night.

Yes, New Orleans is humid, but I doubt you want to challenge Phil here. I'm way too lazy to look for the stats, but I bet DC wins. Places like Iowa, Nebraska, and probably even Minnesota probably have higher DP records than N.O. I'm talking all time highs, not avg highs.

Yes, New Orleans is humid, but I doubt you want to challenge Phil here. I'm way too lazy to look for the stats, but I bet DC wins. Places like Iowa, Nebraska, and probably even Minnesota probably have higher DP records than N.O. I'm talking all time highs, not avg highs.

Appleton, WI once had a dewpoint of 90 with a temp of 101. The heat index was 148°F.

Apparently Melbourne, FL once had a dewpoint of 91 but that’s a somewhat dubious record.

• Like 1

It is both. To illustrate, we've all seen your gorgeous pics of the blue skies in the summer, fall, etc. Imagine if you had a several day stretch where the sky color never changed. I observed that there. There were tstorms that you could never see unless the sky flashed. It was sunny, but also cloudy. You just couldn't tell other than you have to find A/C immediately.

Omg this. That milky white hazy sky. Ugh.

Tim’s deep, radiant, blue sky is an envy of mine when the dog days roll around. It’s why I tease him over filters and stuff. Haha.

• Like 3

Appleton, WI once had a dewpoint of 90 with a temp of 101. The heat index was 148°F.

Apparently Melbourne, FL once had a dewpoint of 91 but that’s a somewhat dubious record.

I’d stroke out in that crap. No question.

The clown range GFS has another one of those northward moving ULLs from NorCal into the PNW.

Enhanced Risk, The Sequel?

I’d stroke out in that crap. No question.

What’s your personal record for worst heat/humidity combo or heat index and what did it feel like?

All our heat is dry out west so my experience with humidity is pretty much limited to a couple family trips to Mexico well in the past. I have the general idea of what it’s like though.

Omg this. That milky white hazy sky. Ugh.

Tim’s deep, radiant, blue sky is an envy of mine when the dog days roll around. It’s why I tease him over filters and stuff. Haha.

To be honest, you should be here, suffering with us. From what I can tell, it's your density.
  • Like 1

Average matters more, as you're much more likely to experience it.

DC is not hotter/more humid in the summer than NORLA.

A forum for the end of the world.

What’s your personal record for worst heat/humidity combo or heat index and what did it feel like?

All our heat is dry out west so my experience with humidity is pretty much limited to a couple family trips to Mexico well in the past. I have the general idea of what it’s like though.

July 2011. Was a 105/78 afternoon, then a t-storm popped up nearby and we got some remnant light rain from it, which took us to 93/86. It felt..scary. Like you couldn’t get oxygen. Thick haze hugging the ground.

The physical effects increase exponentially as dewpoints increase through the 70s/80s. Upper 70s are just horrid, lower 80s are borderline dangerous, mid-80s..stay the f**k indoors unless you’re trying to commit suicide. We tend to max out ~ 80-82 here each summer. Haven’t had a summer without an 80° dp since 2012..which was a furnace, but it was a dry/NW flow furnace. Unusual.

• Like 2

To be honest, you should be here, suffering with us. From what I can tell, it's your density.

Haha, I feel this.

Average matters more, as you're much more likely to experience it.

DC is not hotter/more humid in the summer than NORLA.

It’s not that different. Our mean maximum is actually warmer in all of the summer months.

The only reason our “average” is cooler is because we get occasional cold fronts. IE: New Orleans weather as the default, but interrupted infrequently by cooler, drier interludes. But some years we don’t have cold fronts reaching here, and it’s just like New Orleans.

9tSRucz.png

yOp4TBa.png

Niño-3 is really tanking now.

Already approaching -1C, and it’s only mid-June. Ahead of 2010’s pace and on par with 2007, FWIW.

nino3.png

• Like 1

53F and cloudy but dry for now.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

FWIW this app is amazing. Essentially a NWS app.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/aweather-avanti-weather/id1072955115

WeatherMate is also a very good one. Worth the couple bucks.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Warmest DP I remember from Oklahoma was 87.

Went to DC in September a few years back and it was pretty oppressive. Last October in the middle of the month it was really nice. Heard I missed the real bad heat by a week or two.

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.