June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Interestingly we have only had one white Christmas in 9 years here. 2015. It snowed on Christmas Eve 2014 and the day after Christmas in 2012 and 2016.

No snow in 2017?

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

No snow in 2017?

Nope. To far south.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Nope. To far south.

How far south was the cut-off line with that? I can’t remember if Portland had any snow with that one.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

How far south was the cut-off line with that? I can’t remember if Portland had any snow with that one.

Pretty much just south of Portland.

Interestingly we have only had one white Christmas in 9 years here. 2015. It snowed on Christmas Eve 2014 and the day after Christmas in 2012 and 2016.

I could probably compile a list... but there has been snow on the ground here on the majority of Christmases since we moved here 17 years ago.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

My most memorable White Christmases are 1990, 1998, 2008, 2017. Snow on the ground for some others like 2016.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

International symbol for PNW warmth lover?

Been a rough several years.

No I just cringe whenever you have anything positive to say about the models...Means 52 and heavy drizzle.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

We remain above average temperature wise while going through one small early summer/late spring wet period. We had a remarkably dry and sunny spring. Every summer since 2013 has been a complete blowtorch essentially with west coast ridges popping up for weeks on end. Yet it seems so hard for people who like sunny weather all the time or act like they do to even acknowledge the fact that they've been truly blessed throughout that time period. Then they use a few wet winters which are always wet anyways to try and say hey well the year overall wasn't dry. These winters were still warm too.

Rain is so much more valuable for our native vegetation during the growing season after March and before October anyways. That rain in the winter is almost completely futile to helping them grow during the summer and when it totally just stops raining in April or May it stresses them out. Just remarkable.

• Like 5

We remain above average temperature wise while going through one small early summer/late spring wet period. We had a remarkably dry and sunny spring. Every summer since 2013 has been a complete blowtorch essentially with west coast ridges popping up for weeks on end. Yet it seems so hard for people who like sunny weather all the time or act like they do to even acknowledge the fact that they've been truly blessed throughout that time period. Then they use a few wet winters which are always wet anyways to try and say hey well the year overall wasn't dry. These winters were still warm too.

Rain is so much more valuable for our native vegetation during the growing season after March and before October anyways. That rain in the winter is almost completely futile to helping them grow during the summer and when it totally just stops raining in April or May it stresses them out. Just remarkable.

This.

We get 2-3 months a year of decent weather typically...Would be nice to get some going. Sorry your area is a desert wasteland.
  • Like 1

I honestly really like it when it rains in the warm season. Good for keeping fires down but 55-60 degree rain after its been dry for a week or two smells and feels amazing. Definitely true that it’s very important and beneficial for rains to fall in the warm season as well.
  • Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

We get 2-3 months a year of decent weather typically...Would be nice to get some going. Sorry your area is a desert wasteland.

Exactly.

There is no point if you don't get that 2-3 month window of really nice weather.   Its seems so short.   In about 5 or 6 weeks we will be talking about the first fall storm in sight in the models.   That is no time at all.  

I truly don't mind rain in the summer... it is very welcome.   Its when it rains every day for 2 weeks straight that it gets to be a little much and it seems like everyone in the family starts to get depressed.    It is what it is.  Its climo here.   Telling them that trees got even more water after being so wet this year already does not make anyone feel happier.  :rolleyes:

Different opinions and perspectives.   I respect the other opinions and can see their perspective.   But I literally never worry about a lack of rain here.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

This this this this this this.

It’s been an incredible stretch from a climatological standpoint and the snap-back is coming.

• Like 4

If you’re only happy when giant, anomalous ridges park overhead all summer long, then you’re living in the wrong climate and should consider moving.

Period.

Because you’ll never be satisfied if that’s what you want.

• Like 3

If you’re only happy when giant, anomalous ridges park overhead all summer long, then you’re living in the wrong climate and should consider moving.

Period.

We know climo here. That is why locals say summer starts on July 5th. It makes us appreciate the hell out of any nice weather we get... more so than other places.

Exactly.

There is no point if you don't get that 2-3 month window of really nice weather.   Its seems so short.   In about 5 or 6 weeks we will be talking about the first fall storm in sight in the models.   That is no time at all.  

I truly don't mind rain in the summer... it is very welcome.   Its when it rains every day for 2 weeks straight that it gets to be a little much and it seems like everyone in the family starts to get depressed.    It is what it is.  Its climo here.   Telling them that trees got even more water after being so wet this year already does not make anyone feel happier.  :rolleyes:

Different opinions and perspectives.   I respect the other opinions and can see their perspective.   But I literally never worry about a lack of rain here.  

Fall storm in early to mid August...mmmk.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Fall storm in early to mid August...mmmk.

Usually by the middle of August we start seeing more frequent rains up here... that is climo.    And that is when people on here starting talking about signs of fall.   And the first snow can happen in Montana!   Its just around the corner.

Not so much down in Oregon though.   Different perspectives. 

Got up to 77F. Beautiful day in the south valley. Should be beautiful star watching tonight. Vega going to be straight overhead.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Usually by the middle of August we start seeing more frequent rains up here... that is climo.    And that is when people on here starting talking about signs of fall.   And the first snow can happen in Montana!   Its just around the corner.

Not so much down in Oregon though.   

The prominent pattern is still very much summer in mid August though, even out here. 

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Fall storm in early to mid August...mmmk. :rolleyes:

8/29/15! No power for 2 days...That was a heck of a cleanup afterwards.

The prominent pattern is still very much summer in mid August though, even out here. 

Writing is on the wall by then.   Particularly in the northern areas.   It just is... the days are getting shorter and rains become more frequent and school is about to start.    It feels like summer is waning by then.   Its not really debatable... just a fact of life.   Some years are different of course.

8/29/15! No power for 2 days...That was a heck of a cleanup afterwards.

That's not early to mid August.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Writing is on the wall by then.   Particularly in the northern areas.   

The writing is on the wall that the days are getting shorter now so I guess summer is over!

Cold Season 2023/24:

This is now the 5th wettest June on record at PDX at 3.49", moving ahead of 1981 (a hottttt summer). Could move into 4th ahead of 1954 (a very coldddddd summer) if we get another tenth of an inch with the trough this weekend. 

Totals to the north and south on the I5 corridor aren't particularly noteworthy. Seattle could even end the month with below average precip.

• Like 1

The writing is on the wall that the days are getting shorter now so I guess summer is over!

Takes until early August to start noticing it.   Just like it often feels like spring is arriving here in February... with some very notable exceptions like 2011 and 2019.   ;)

This is now the 5th wettest June on record at PDX at 3.49", moving ahead of 1981 (a hottttt summer). Could move into 4th ahead of 1954 (a very coldddddd summer) if we get another tenth of an inch with the trough this weekend. 

Totals to the north and south on the I5 corridor aren't particularly noteworthy. Seattle could even end the month with below average precip.

PDX got insanely lucky with showers earlier in the month and the east valley/foothill locations have experienced plenty of orographic precipitation.

At HIO (or even here in Tigard/Beaverton) it hasn’t been an eye-popping June at all precip-wise.

Another great day of golf today, weather was perfect. I Placed 10th out of 51 for our weekend tourney!!

Weak effort! 

9 people were better than you??

Yep, had a ton of fun, won some cash and did not Timplain about upcoming weekends weather shown on the models!!

Good job!

We had a beautiful afternoon too.

There is no doubt your area has been warmer and drier than average the wide majority of warm seasons starting in 2013. There’s a reason your property is dotted with dead trees. ;)

The north south difference get played up here by people trying to push the same tired narrative, but looking at the big picture the last several summers have been remarkably warm and dry on the whole for the entire region. Basically an unprecedented stretch for as long as weather has been recorded around here.

• Like 2