June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Western Washington’s storm season lasts from September 1 to June 15. Temperatures never go above 60, the average high is 46 for this entire period, it rains an average of 28 days per month, and the sun shines for an average of 15 hours a month. Only between June 16 and August 31 is nice weather possible.

There is no doubt your area has been warmer and drier than average the wide majority of warm seasons starting in 2013. There’s a reason your property is dotted with dead trees. ;)

The north south difference get played up here by people trying to push the same tired narrative, but looking at the big picture the last several summers have been remarkably warm and dry on the whole for the entire region.

There was rain on 40 days last year from July - Sept last year in my area... way above climo.   We never had to water and that was the first time ever.   It was not a stressful summer for the trees in this area.    2015, 2017, and 2018 were definitely years with tree stress.   But 2016 was also a frequently wet summer in that period.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

If you’re only happy when giant, anomalous ridges park overhead all summer long, then you’re living in the wrong climate and should consider moving.

Period.

Because you’ll never be satisfied if that’s what you want.

Why don’t you live here again??

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Western Washington’s storm season lasts from September 1 to June 15. Temperatures never go above 60, the average high is 46 for this entire period, it rains an average of 28 days per month, and the sun shines for an average of 15 hours a month. Only between June 16 and August 31 is nice weather possible.

I bet you would have a very different perspective if you lived up here... and I would have a very different perspective if I lived down there.    Not sure why that is hard to understand.    Its pretty simple.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The VAST climatological differences between western Oregon and Western Washington just cannot be overstated.

There is a pretty big difference when you go north and east of Seattle.    

I think the Portland area has one of the best summer climates in the country... and I am talking about climo and not anomalous heat and drought.   

I bet you would have a very different perspective if you lived up here... and I would have a very different perspective if I lived down there.    Not sure why that is hard to understand.    Its pretty simple.   

Exactly. The precip and sunshine gradient during warm season between western WA and OR has been much more significant than usual the past few years. This is why OR posters generally root for troughing while WA posters generally root for ridging. 

Wonder how long it will take Dewey to see his bat signal.

Not rocket science here.    We have been over this a million times.   This is the problem with picking apart preferences... people don't change their minds.   We all know climo.    But the climo in a particular area can make you want things more.   Just like people who don't normally have snow seem to be obsessed with getting snow.  

Exactly. The precip and sunshine gradient during warm season between western WA and OR has been much more significant than usual the past few years. This is why OR posters generally root for troughing while WA posters generally root for ridging.

Any proof backing up the “more significant than usual” claim? Sounds a little shaky/subjective.

By far, the most notable aspect of the last several warm seasons has been the unusual REGIONAL warmth and dryness. That goes for the whole area covered by this sub forum, whether you’re talking north and east of Seattle or south and west of Portland.

The VAST climatological differences between western Oregon and Western Washington just cannot be overstated.

It's jarring.

PDX (far south climate zone) averages 6.83" of precip from May 1 to September 30.

SEA (in the far northern Cordilleran Ice Sheet afflicted climate zone) averages 6.79" of precip from May 1 to September 30.

Southerners could never understand.

• Like 3

This is now the 5th wettest June on record at PDX at 3.49", moving ahead of 1981 (a hottttt summer). Could move into 4th ahead of 1954 (a very coldddddd summer) if we get another tenth of an inch with the trough this weekend.

Totals to the north and south on the I5 corridor aren't particularly noteworthy. Seattle could even end the month with below average precip.

That would be hilarious. If SEA is warm/dry for June, Fred should start dishing out weenie tags for any and all heat miser complainers.

You’d think Seattle had teleported into the bottom of Niagara Falls based on some of the commentary in here.

• Like 2

That would be hilarious. If SEA is warm/dry for June, Fred should start dishing out weenie tags for any and all heat miser complainers.

You’d think Seattle had teleported into the bottom of Niagara Falls based on some of the commentary in here.

Seattle is in no drought while Portland is in severe drought though. The June rain here hasn’t really helped much like I thought it would.

00Z GFS is nice overall... quicker with the weekend ULL and nice next week again.    

But just like with an arctic blast... watching the models in the mid and long range comes down to what is happening in Alaska.   Any ULL over Alaska in this pattern ends up expanding and making a beeline for the PNW.

Stats don't tell the whole story.

We could have a wetter than normal month that was dry on most days... and a drier than normal month that was wet on most days.   We could have a gloomy month that ends up warmer than normal due to warm overnight lows.    Devil is in the details.

The number of days with rain is by far the most meaningful stat to me in rating a month.     We are at 15 out of 21 days here so far this month.   Normal for June is 12 days with measureable precip.   We had 12 days in a row with rain... that is the source of the complaints from some.   Not that it matters.    Just giving you some background.     Its also common for June rain to come in extended streaks around here.

Why are we talking about this again?    :rolleyes:

Statistically this will be a pretty normal June in the Seattle area... actually probably a little warmer and drier than normal by time its over.

Just talking weather.

We should talk weather... and not endlessly about other people's preferences and perceptions.  At least the weather changes.

Seattle is in no drought while Portland is in severe drought though. The June rain here hasn’t really helped much like I thought it would.

Based on what?    I assume soil moisture is much better for being almost 25% of the way through summer right now.

Based on what? I assume soil moisture is much better for being almost 25% of the way through summer right now.

20200616_OR_text.png

Moderate drought now, I didn’t look at the most recent one but most of Willamette Valley still in severe drought. The drought will just worsen again though since it doesn’t rain much at all in July and August.

• Like 1

20200616_OR_text.png

Moderate drought now, I didn’t look at the most recent one but most of Willamette Valley still in severe drought. The drought will just worsen again though since it doesn’t rain much at all in July and August.

I think this is just based on the last 3 months... so it probably does not represent the current situation too well given how much rain has fallen recently.    

And it normally does not rain much in July and August and if this map is based on a running 3-month average then it will not change too much.

20200616_OR_text.png

That map doesn’t look good but I think the June rain did help. Just speaking anecdotally, the plants around here look greener and healthier moving into the latter half of June than have I have seen in at least a couple years.

Mostly dry in July and August won’t necessarily make the map worse since it’s normally mostly dry in those months.

• Like 1

I think this is just based on the last 3 months... so it probably does not represent the current situation too well given how much rain has fallen recently.

And it normally does not rain much in July and August and if this map is based on a running 3-month average then it will not change too much.

That map doesn’t look good but I think the June rain did help. Just speaking anecdotally, the plants around here look greener and healthier moving into the latter half of June than have I have seen in at least a couple years.

Mostly dry in July and August won’t necessarily make the map worse since it’s normally mostly dry in those months.

Good points about it not raining much in those months already but in the seasonal drought outlook they mention above normal temperatures expanding the drought.

season_drought.pnghttps://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/sdo_summary.php

Drought is likely to persist and expand across the West and northern to central High Plains through the summer. A major factor in the drought expansion is the likelihood of above normal temperatures during the outlook period.

So even more reason to root for seasonal weather the rest of summer, say no to any heatwaves hehheh

Already down to a chilly 49 degrees.

00Z ECMWF shows a drizzle fest from Seattle northward on Wednesday... you have that to look forward to.   :)

Good points about it not raining much in those months already but in the seasonal drought outlook they mention above normal temperatures expanding the drought. season_drought.pnghttps://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/sdo_summary.php

Drought is likely to persist and expand across the West and northern to central High Plains through the summer. A major factor in the drought expansion is the likelihood of above normal temperatures during the outlook period.

So even more reason to root for seasonal weather the rest of summer, say no to any heatwaves hehheh

Weirdly I’m starting to think you might be an alt account for snowsquall.

00Z ECMWF shows a drizzle fest from Seattle northward on Wednesday... you have that to look forward to. :)

Yay!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Anyone wondering what is stuck up Tim’s a** all the time?

I’m going with pineapple.

That would definitely make someone really cranky!

Trough is coming down from the north by late Friday on the 00Z ECMWF... but it appears to still be mostly dry on Saturday.

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-precip-6hr-inc