June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

The 12Z ECMWF keeps the Seattle area dry on Saturday with the rain band stationary to the north... then it slides through Saturday night and Sunday morning and its fairly dry again by afternoon.  

At face value... not a washout weekend for the Seattle area.    

Similar to last weekend.

A forum for the end of the world.

Similar to last weekend.

Probably a little warmer though.  

Still not even close to what was advertised a couple days ago.    That would have been nice timing.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Lots of rain today so far, but the sun is out now. There is so much steam coming off the roof that mini steamnadoes are being formed. Pretty cool!

Yeah it's been back and forth here on the east side of town with the moisture getting hung up on the foothills.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

"Chilly" is another subjective word. But these are based on 30 year averages, and were still chillier than normal for much of the region.

attachicon.gifAug10TDeptWRCC-NW.png

attachicon.gifAug07TDeptWRCC-NW.png

attachicon.gifAug06TDeptWRCC-NW.png

The Willamette Valley hasn't had a "cold" August (using 20th century norms) since 2000. 

oraugtemps.png

The Puget Sound lowlands haven't had a "cold" August (using 20th century norms) since 2000.

waaugtemps.png

As always, I strongly encourage you to actually play around with NCDC's climate at a glance page and utilize the 'Time Series' feature. Since you seem to like maps so much.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/global/time-series

• Like 1

http://lmgcorporate.com/kptv/weather/web_7-day.jpg

Last rainy day in a while.

You must not live near me.

906BB359-BE7B-4B00-AA21-845F9B487082.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

The Willamette Valley hasn't had a "cold" August (using 20th century norms) since 2000. 

attachicon.giforaugtemps.png

The Puget Sound lowlands haven't had a "cold" August (using 20th century norms) since 2000.

attachicon.gifwaaugtemps.png

As always, I strongly encourage you to actually play around with NCDC's climate at a glance page and utilize the 'Time Series' feature. Since you seem to like maps so much.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cag/global/time-series

I have to wonder what stations they base the 1901-2000 average on. Very few stations around in the early 20th century, and certainly not the airport stations that are used today. Not apples to apples.

I prefer to use long term averages based on stations that are still around. Same location. And as I said, OLM has seen a handful of Augusts since 2000 with a lower average temp than their 1941-2019 average. That seems like a more fair comparison to me.

I have to wonder what stations they base the 1901-2000 average on. Very few stations around in the early 20th century, and certainly not the airport stations that are used today. Not apples to apples.

I prefer to use long term averages based on stations that are still around. Same location. And as I said, OLM has seen a handful of Augusts since 2000 with a lower average temp than their 1941-2019 average. That seems like a more fair comparison to me.

The number is simply a mean lifted from all of the station data from that sub-regional division that is in the NCDC database. There were actually a lot of stations around by the early 20th century, most of them just aren't still there.

I think it's pretty fair to say that nothing stands out whatsoever since 2000 on the cool side, and even then you're talking only marginally cold by historic stands. To be fair to the last 20 years, as you can see on the graphs there the 1977-1999 period was also pretty torchy in August. It's a month that has warmed pretty dramatically and almost without interruption since the big PDO flip.

Kiddos enjoying being outside in the downpours.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Kids don’t get cold under any conditions!  Lol

Good entertainment watching them do their thing...enjoy

Only thing I've said is if you hear thunder then you come inside and we can open the windows and hope some ball lightning comes through.  :lol:

• Like 2

Personal Stats:

Venmo

August 2010 in the Willamette Valley was about average, I certainly would not consider it a cool August. I think Salem hit 100 that month too, or got very close. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

After seeing the 12z gfs go off the rails and then the collapse of the ridge on the Euro, I can only say, d**n, could this really be the year without a summer??

It’s June 16th.
  • Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

The number is simply a mean lifted from all of the station data from that sub-regional division that is in the NCDC database. There were actually a lot of stations around by the early 20th century, most of them just aren't still there.

I think it's pretty fair to say that nothing stands out whatsoever since 2000 on the cool side, and even then you're talking only marginally cold by historic stands. To be fair to the last 20 years, as you can see on the graphs there the 1977-1999 period was also pretty torchy in August. It's a month that has warmed pretty dramatically and almost without interruption since the big PDO flip.

Yeah, nothing crazy cool since 2000 for sure. 2007 at OLM was at least cooler than 60% of the Augusts from 1941-1999.

No doubt it's been a very torchy month since 2012, and definitely saw a step change warmer with the PDO flip in the late 1970s. And then flipped cooler again 2006-2011 with that -PDO period, though not as cool as pre-1980s Augusts.

It’s difficult to tune/homogenize a dataset like that when there’s so much station relocation/land use changes ongoing over the climatology window.

I think this is one of the few cases where taking the averages at individual stations works better, assuming factors like land use/UHI aren’t egregiously drastic.

• Like 1

18Z run is interesting... timing is sped so much that Sunday is mostly dry.

The models are completely clueless right now and underestimating the strength of the jet stream.   I would not be surprised if the weekend system actually arrives tomorrow at this rate.   ^_^

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It’s difficult to tune/homogenize a dataset like that when there’s so much station relocation/land use changes ongoing over the climatology window.

I think this is one of the few cases where taking the averages at individual stations works better, assuming factors like land use/UHI aren’t egregiously drastic.

They are also required to repaint the stations white every few years, as that reflects sunlight.  When the paint wears out, the station gets darker and absorbs more sunlight, contaminating the readings.  Several years ago, I read that, after they painted a station white, the temps "cooled" by a few degrees right after (they compare stations in the area, and know what temps should be relative to each other).  Since the other stations had not been painted, you would think the station that had just been painted was now more accurate, and the stations not painted were probably running a few degrees too warm (mainly day time).  So they adjusted.  Odd thing was that they adjusted the freshly painted, more accurate station upward, so that it matched the less accurate stations where the paint had worn off.  Should have adjusted the stations that had not been painted down a couple of degrees, since they knew that the freshly painted one was more accurate.

With all the land use changes and relocations, and things like I mentioned above, it is really hard to find trends and averages with all the noise.   And things like these don't help either.

rome_italy_airport_weather_station_large

figure2_tucson_ushcn_from_above.jpg?fit=

napa-state-hospital-looking-east.jpg?w=7

• Like 4

Up to 61F now. Warmest temp of the day.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Had a high of 64.

.03” on the day, 2.96” for the month, 36.15” on the year.

Currently mostly sunny and 64.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It was fairly sunny earlier... then a rain cell moved in from the north and fell apart right over NB with the sun still able to undercut the clouds.

nb.png

Ended up with 0.57” today. The weekend system doesn’t look like much down here last I checked. We ended up with 1.38” of rain the past two days.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

They are also required to repaint the stations white every few years, as that reflects sunlight. When the paint wears out, the station gets darker and absorbs more sunlight, contaminating the readings. Several years ago, I read that, after they painted a station white, the temps "cooled" by a few degrees right after (they compare stations in the area, and know what temps should be relative to each other). Since the other stations had not been painted, you would think the station that had just been painted was now more accurate, and the stations not painted were probably running a few degrees too warm (mainly day time). So they adjusted. Odd thing was that they adjusted the freshly painted, more accurate station upward, so that it matched the less accurate stations where the paint had worn off. Should have adjusted the stations that had not been painted down a couple of degrees, since they knew that the freshly painted one was more accurate.

With all the land use changes and relocations, and things like I mentioned above, it is really hard to find trends and averages with all the noise. And things like these don't help either.

rome_italy_airport_weather_station_large

figure2_tucson_ushcn_from_above.jpg?fit=

napa-state-hospital-looking-east.jpg?w=7

Yep. It’s more of a mess than many realize. The surface station network was never designed to measure regional/global climate. Long term trends are often swamped by local changes driven by urbanization, deforestation, and station relocation/poor siting. Anyone who tells you these factors can be accurately accounted for is spewing diarrhea.

• Like 1

How hot does it get inside a sauna? I only been in one once, I went to get a massage once in downtown Portland and they said I can take a 15 minute sauna to open up my pores before the session. I don’t remember the temperature but it was so uncomfortable. Never again!

It depends on the type of sauna. To get the health benefits of a sauna you need the temperature to be at least 150F with the optimal range being 180F-195F. Some saunas can get even hotter like the Finnish sauna.

"Traditional Finnish saunas entail washing up and sitting in a hot room for a period of time. Finnish saunas reach temperatures of up to 230 degrees fahrenheit (110 C) and typically don’t go below 175 degrees F. After the room reaches its desired or maximum temperature, water is poured over hot stones on top of a stove called a kiuas, which creates moisture in the room. While Finns are enjoying their sauna, it is standard practice to beat oneself with silver birch branch called a vihta, which has a relaxing effect on the muscles."

https://saunaville.com/finnish-saunas/

• Like 1