June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

It depends on the type of sauna. To get the health benefits of a sauna you need the temperature to be at least 150F with the optimal range being 180F-195F. Some saunas can get even hotter like the Finnish sauna.

"Traditional Finnish saunas entail washing up and sitting in a hot room for a period of time. Finnish saunas reach temperatures of up to 230 degrees fahrenheit (110 C) and typically don’t go below 175 degrees F. After the room reaches its desired or maximum temperature, water is poured over hot stones on top of a stove called a kiuas, which creates moisture in the room. While Finns are enjoying their sauna, it is standard practice to beat oneself with silver birch branch called a vihta, which has a relaxing effect on the muscles."

https://saunaville.com/finnish-saunas/

Sounds disgustingly hot.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Always amazes me how pleasant summer is in the interior of Alaska and Siberia and the NW territories near the arctic circle.

Often warmer than west of the Cascades in WA state... particularly in June.

Seems like we are so far north... but also not far enough north.  

ecmwf-deterministic-alaska-t2m-f-max-las

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Yep. It’s more of a mess than many realize. The surface station network was never designed to measure regional/global climate. Long term trends are often swamped by local changes driven by urbanization, deforestation, and station relocation/poor siting. Anyone who tells you these factors can be accurately accounted for is spewing diarrhea.

I really hate when someone telling me something spews diarrhea.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Man I love this new “AWeather” app. Will probably be deleting every other wx app except RadarScope now.

All forecasts directly from the NWS, including AFDs, and enhanced hourly forecasts. Epic satellite animations, fully up-to-date, with no lagging or freezing.

You can input your location several different ways too. Here I saved North Bend WA in there (renamed to “Tim”) and clicked the satellite animation. Amazing. Notice the city lights showing up as the sun sets in the SW US.

Cacd8DW.jpg

And you can zoom in as close as you want.

rLDVWKJ.jpg

• Like 1

High temps at the Silver Creek Falls station have trended cooler over the years due to the forest growing up around it in the past 82 years. The area was logged between 1880-1910 so it would have been much more open in the beginning. The change is extremely noticeable when you look at the records. Lows have also trended milder, which makes sense, but not by as much.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

High temps at the Silver Creek Falls station have trended cooler over the years due to the forest growing up around it in the past 82 years. The area was logged between 1880-1910 so it would have been much more open in the beginning. The change is extremely noticeable when you look at the records. Lows have also trended milder, which makes sense, but not by as much.

Many people have thought that Silver Creek Falls could be our second national park, but it was never really considered due to the previous logging. The trees are now getting pretty beefy, but I doubt it'll ever happen. Probably would make things worse anyway. With all of Oregon's beauty, it's anomalous that we only have one NP.

• Like 1

It depends on the type of sauna. To get the health benefits of a sauna you need the temperature to be at least 150F with the optimal range being 180F-195F. Some saunas can get even hotter like the Finnish sauna.

"Traditional Finnish saunas entail washing up and sitting in a hot room for a period of time. Finnish saunas reach temperatures of up to 230 degrees fahrenheit (110 C) and typically don’t go below 175 degrees F. After the room reaches its desired or maximum temperature, water is poured over hot stones on top of a stove called a kiuas, which creates moisture in the room. While Finns are enjoying their sauna, it is standard practice to beat oneself with silver birch branch called a vihta, which has a relaxing effect on the muscles."

So 230 degrees and then you add humidity, only in Finland. Does the sauna come with a hot Finnish woman? Only way I’m going in hehheh
  • Like 1

"Traditional Finnish saunas entail washing up and sitting in a hot room for a period of time. Finnish saunas reach temperatures of up to 230 degrees fahrenheit (110 C) and typically don’t go below 175 degrees F. After the room reaches its desired or maximum temperature, water is poured over hot stones on top of a stove called a kiuas, which creates moisture in the room. While Finns are enjoying their sauna, it is standard practice to beat oneself with silver birch branch called a vihta, which has a relaxing effect on the muscles."

Dang, I could take some cookie dough in with me and have fresh moist cookies after baking! 

• Like 1

Man I love this new “AWeather” app. Will probably be deleting every other wx app except RadarScope now.

All forecasts directly from the NWS, including AFDs, and enhanced hourly forecasts. Epic satellite animations, fully up-to-date, with no lagging or freezing.

You can input your location several different ways too. Here I saved North Bend WA in there (renamed to “Tim”) and clicked the satellite animation. Amazing. Notice the city lights showing up as the sun sets in the SW US.

Cacd8DW.jpg

And you can zoom in as close as you want.

rLDVWKJ.jpg

When they do the next update see if you can get a current Tim mood emoji! 

• Like 2

Many people have thought that Silver Creek Falls could be our second national park, but it was never really considered due to the previous logging. The trees are now getting pretty beefy, but I doubt it'll ever happen. Probably would make things worse anyway. With all of Oregon's beauty, it's anomalous that we only have one NP.

I have always thought the should extend the park out to Shellburg Falls. Develop that area a bit more and spread the crowds out some more. Shellburg Falls is actually very close to the parks SE boundary and in the summer is a fairly short drive on access roads from the 214 Trailhead junction road. 

• Like 2

I have always thought the should extend the park out to Shellburg Falls. Develop that area a bit more and spread the crowds out some more. Shellburg Falls is actually very close to the parks SE boundary and in the summer is a fairly short drive on access roads from the 214 Trailhead junction road.

Santiam State Forest. We went there early last May via Fern Ridge Road in Mehama. Nice spot.

Santiam State Forest. We went there early last May via Fern Ridge Road in Mehama. Nice spot.

Yes, I think most people access the area from Fern Ridge Road. If we are going to Mehema or anywhere east of there on Hwy 22 we typically drop onto 22 from Fern Ridge Road. Saw a large bear cross right before the Shellburg TH at about 11am the Saturday before last. 

The back road out of Silver Falls comes in at the Shellburg campground. 

• Like 1

Always amazes me how pleasant summer is in the interior of Alaska and Siberia and the NW territories near the arctic circle.

Often warmer than west of the Cascades in WA state... particularly in June.

Seems like we are so far north... but also not far enough north.

ecmwf-deterministic-alaska-t2m-f-max-las

More sunlight up there during summer but barely any light during winter

More sunlight up there during summer but barely any light during winter

It’s also the well inland areas that are in the 70s to low 80s, coastal influenced areas (like the west side of the Cascades) are much cooler. Both coastal and inland areas are actually way warmer down here, respectively, which makes sense since we are not in a polar climate.

• Like 1

Probly one of the reasons the Finnish people continue to be so successful despite being in Europe way earlier is because when the Indo-European peoples came north in their chariots and on their horses just mowing everyone down, they were cold and their horses were freezing to death. Horses were very spiritual and understandably felt like a person to the ancient Indo-Europeans, knowing it was the reason they were conquering everything at the time. The Indo-Europeans were fascinated and relieved with the technological advancements the Uralic peoples had already innovated themselves, reindeer herding, saunas to keep warm, etc. They provided fish, warmth and kindness in harsh conditions to the people and their horses, who would have otherwise wiped them out and most of the the Y-chromosome N haplogoup.

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Yes, I think most people access the area from Fern Ridge Road. If we are going to Mehema or anywhere east of there on Hwy 22 we typically drop onto 22 from Fern Ridge Road. Saw a large bear cross right before the Shellburg TH at about 11am the Saturday before last.

The back road out of Silver Falls comes in at the Shellburg campground.

That is my old stomping grounds. Andrew and I have messaged about this in the past.

It is still pretty wild even though it is roughly 30 minutes from Salem

• Like 1

That is my old stomping grounds. Andrew and I have messaged about this in the past.

It is still pretty wild even though it is roughly 30 minutes from Salem

Good area to stomp around. I also like the valley of the Little Santiam/Opal Creek up above Elkhorn. There was a 3-4 year stretch in the early 2000s when my brother and dad and I would camp at Shady Cove every March.

Not sure why we are even talking about a "return" to troughing... the way the models are behaving now its safe to assume we are still in the default trough position and any ridging shown will get significantly watered down.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I, for one, don’t have that many complaints about the damp weather. The later the onset of summer conditions (which will still come), the less time there is for things to get tinder-dry, and the lower the odds are that August or September will turn into a smoke-filled apocalypse. Those latter conditions are the real bummer summer in my book.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

I, for one, don’t have that many complaints about the damp weather. The later the onset of summer conditions (which will still come), the less time there is for things to get tinder-dry, and the lower the odds are that August or September will turn into a smoke-filled apocalypse. Those latter conditions are the real bummer summer in my book.

the fires that burn each summer are quite normal and natural

00z ensembles.

attachicon.gifDD3EB1FE-C475-4A60-8EF1-B3FF3F51A29D.png

A surprising amount of members want to put us back into a troughy pattern in the LR. We’ll see if it holds...

is it really surprising?

we've been stuck in this pattern for quite some time now

father's day will likely suck balls and it will probably continue on for several more weeks right through the first half of july

46F at EUG but 52F in Springfield. Weird.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Just a tiny bit if disagreement between the GEFS and GEPS over the LR tropical convective state. Lol.

I’d typically lean towards the GEPS, though both of these projections fit right into the respective model biases.

UrSqxrp.png

YvzlDBB.png

Then again, here’s the EPS. More like a west-based niña but fits the low pass regime better. WPAC/dateline subsidence.

IAuDMvc.png

8LW802b.png