June 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Probly one of the reasons the Finnish people continue to be so successful despite being in Europe way earlier is because when the Indo-European peoples came north in their chariots and on their horses just mowing everyone down, they were cold and their horses were freezing to death. Horses were very spiritual and understandably felt like a person to the ancient Indo-Europeans, knowing it was the reason they were conquering everything at the time. The Indo-Europeans were fascinated and relieved with the technological advancements the Uralic peoples had already innovated themselves, reindeer herding, saunas to keep warm, etc. They provided fish, warmth and kindness in harsh conditions to the people and their horses, who would have otherwise wiped them out and most of the the Y-chromosome N haplogoup.

That's good information to know. I've always been intrigued by the Finnish culture and their weather. Fun fact they are the northernmost metropolitan area with at least one million people. Helinski is on my bucket list to visit when I go to Europe someday.

• Like 1

How hot was that month?

Pretty close to average west of the cascades. A brief heatwave.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Falls City is a nice place to stop by but not to live. I felt kinda bad for their HS football team when they would play Perrydale. They would get beat like 77-0 or so regularly. Their kids threw some low blows and sucker "helmet pushes" once they started getting blown out so that was unfortunate.

I take it you never made it to the Boondocks Tavern?

Had great deep fried mushrooms and the occasional Rocky Mtn. Oysters. Wash them down with a pitcher of Hamms.

We always got along with the locals even though it was a little rough

• Like 1

What I would do for an average July. A short heatwave is fine and it would keep the heat misers happy.

An average July in Portland is just about perfection.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

What I would do for an average July. A short heatwave is fine and it would keep the heat misers happy.

The heat misers are only happy when it’s above average.

Average or below average = miserable.

• Like 1

We are finally on the same page

75-85 and generally sunny is summer perfection in my opinion.   I would be fine with a summer that never went above 85... I just don't care for 50s and rain in the summer like we had later last week.

I guess disliking winter-like weather in the summer means you must want it to be 95 degrees and miserable every day.   :rolleyes:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

75-85 and generally sunny is summer perfection in my opinion. I would be fine with a summer that never went above 85... I just don't care for 50s and rain in the summer like we had later last week.

I guess disliking winter-like weather in the summer means you must want it to be 95 degrees and miserable every day. :rolleyes:

75 to 85 is okay with me but remember we need rain every now and then. The northwest has been in drought conditions On and off for years now, mainly on. I know you are fine up there but not down here

75 to 85 is okay with me but remember we need rain every now and then. The northwest has been in drought conditions On and off for years now, mainly on. I know you are fine up there but not down here

Definitely need periodic rain as well. I guess not being too thrilled about 12 straight days with rain in the summer means I want every tree to die. Side note... I am well aware that its common to have a 1-2 week stretch of rainy weather in my area in June. As I have said several times.

Glad we are talking preferences again though. :rolleyes:

Got some pictures out on the rowboat yesterday afternoon and a nice sunny morning here on Anderson Island.

Very calm water!

Weekend curse alive and well... at least this time its nice on both sides.

20200618-072207.jpg

Looks like I’m mowing Friday after work.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

73F and gorgeous. Kiddos all outside.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

• Like 3

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

The beginning of the 4th of July weekend just coming into view on the EPS now at the end of the run... subject to change of course.  

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-t850-anom-strea