July 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

As we near the middle of the calendar year and set our sights on the month of July, are we going to Fry???  There is a stout signal among all the various climate models that a vast majority of our Sub will indeed be experiencing above normal temps throughout this month.  The first two weeks are shaping up to be quite warm and toasty which may not be such a bad thing for beach goers, anglers and the like.

The CFSv2 trends have pretty much locked in showing a drier outlook for the Plains and parts of the MW/GL's, while the Upper MW and SE are wetter.  Similarly, last weeks Euro Weeklies look almost identical.  So, it may be safe to say, that our A/C's will be humming and working over time for quite a while.

Let's discuss...

1.gif

2.gif

3.png

4.png

As we near the middle of the calendar year and set our sights on the month of July, are we going to Fry??? There is a stout signal among all the various climate models that a vast majority of our Sub will indeed be experiencing above normal temps throughout this month. The first two weeks are shaping up to be quite warm and toasty which may not be such a bad thing for beach goers, anglers and the like.

The CFSv2 trends have pretty much locked in showing a drier outlook for the Plains and parts of the MW/GL's, while the Upper MW and SE are wetter. Similarly, last weeks Euro Weeklies look almost identical. So, it may be safe to say, that our A/C's will be humming and working over time for quite a while.

Let's discuss...

There's that look I was trying to describe a few weeks back. To perfection. I actually think that's our next month almost to a T.

There's that look I was trying to describe a few weeks back. To perfection. I actually think that's our next month almost to a T.

Near average temps/precip for your backyard ain't to shabby for the middle of Summer...

Near average temps/precip for your backyard ain't to shabby for the middle of Summer...

Not bad.

Not necessarily for my backyard are my heaviest concerns.

Seeing the drought I've sort of predicted start impacting the SW and interior NE by the end of summer.

My region will be fine, I believe.

Expecting a true long-term drought over the SW in the next 3-5 years.

• Like 1

Looks like the forecast for Thursday through the TX/OK Panhandle on I-40 is going to be one HOT and Humid drive. Based on my calculations, I'll be somewhere near Amarillo, TX during the afternoon where temps are being forecast to be at or above 100F! I'm sure there will be a wall of humidity as soon as I enter the Panhandle. I forget where exactly, but I recall experiencing this a number of years back either in NM or TX where it just hits you in the face. It's also interesting as the vegetation changes almost instantly from desert to more brush and greener landscape. I love taking road trips and seeing the country side!

• Like 1

Looks like the forecast for Thursday through the TX/OK Panhandle on I-40 is going to be one HOT and Humid drive.  Based on my calculations, I'll be somewhere near Amarillo, TX during the afternoon where temps are being forecast to be AOB 100F!  I'm sure there will be a wall of humidity as soon as I enter the Panhandle.  I forget where exactly, but I recall experiencing this a number of years back either in NM or TX where it just hits you in the face.  It's also interesting as the vegetation changes almost instantly from desert to more brush and greener landscape.  I love taking road trips and seeing the country side!

I know in the summer it will not be the same. But a few years back on the way down to Fort Myers we were in northern Florida in December and it was cloudy and the cars outside temperature reading was in the mid 60's The out or no where the cars windows all fogged up on the inside as we drove through a warm front and the temperature shot up into the upper 70's just like that. It was one of the most scariest things that can happen when driving. I mean the windows just fogged up and you could not see a thing. 

• Like 1

I know in the summer it will not be the same. But a few years back on the way down to Fort Myers we were in northern Florida in December and it was cloudy and the cars outside temperature reading was in the mid 60's The out or no where the cars windows all fogged up on the inside as we drove through a warm front and the temperature shot up into the upper 70's just like that. It was one of the most scariest things that can happen when driving. I mean the windows just fogged up and you could not see a thing.

That’s wild! Glad to hear nothing bad happened while driving. The weather plays a big role in all aspects of our lives. One of the big reasons why I’m fascinated by it every day.

Boy, oh boy, the duration of the HEAT coming up has big time legs....some places may be setting some records for duration of heat/humidity. Longest heat wave since the 90's for Chicago???

My 10 day is basically 90/70 with humidity and scattered storms. Gonna get old fast but fall will be here before we know it.
  • Like 1

"Incoming Heatwave" w 90F or better for a week straight or more is a strong possibility for many. The 4th will be sizzling.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

I did some research and the greatest consecutive number of days where the maximum temp reaches 90F or better is 11 days way back in the 50's where it happened multiple times during that decade (Global Warming...sarc).  With that being said, could it be possible Chicago can rack up more than a week of 90F+ temps???  The late 1980's stand out to be the earliest decade where the highest streaks occurred in the years 1983, 1987, 1988  (9, 10 ,9 respectively). Skilling's forecast suggests 12 days in a row with 90F+ temps.  We shall see what nature has in store.

https://www.weather.gov/lot/Chicago_Temperature_Records

• Like 1

The last time Detroit remained consistently in the 90s for 7+ days in a row was back in 1987! Wow! Well, we are about to break that.

• Like 1

April 2024:

Welcome to July. Here is a summery for June 2020 in west Michigan. At Grand Rapids the mean for June was 69.6 that is a departure of +4.2 the high for the month was 93 on the 9th (that tied the record for that date) the low for the month was 42 on the 14th there were 3 days of 90 or better. At Muskegon the mean was 69.0 that is a departure of +2.7 the high for the month was 97 on the 9th that was a new record for the date. The low was 42 on the 14th there were 4 days of 90 or better. At Holland the mean was 69.7 that is good for a departure of +1.7 the high for the month was 93 on the 6th and the low was 45 on the 14th there were 2 days of 90 or better. At Kalamazoo the mean there was 71.0 that is a departure of + 2.8 the high there was 93 on the 9th  and the low was 44 on the 14th there were 5 days of 90 or better there.

I did some research and the greatest consecutive number of days where the maximum temp reaches 90F or better is 11 days way back in the 50's where it happened multiple times during that decade (Global Warming...sarc).  With that being said, could it be possible Chicago can rack up more than a week of 90F+ temps???  The late 1980's stand out to be the earliest decade where the highest streaks occurred in the years 1983, 1987, 1988  (9, 10 ,9 respectively). Skilling's forecast suggests 12 days in a row with 90F+ temps.  We shall see what nature has in store.

https://www.weather.gov/lot/Chicago_Temperature_Records

The longest number of 90° days in a row at Grand Rapids is 11 set way back in 1901 there have been several other times with strings of 8 days in a row. Most of the time is is very hard to get more then 3 days in our area before a cold front comes thru.

• Like 2

Another sunny day today w low humidity levels, (wont last) relatively speaking, w temps in the upper 80s.

April 2024:

Looks like the next shot of rainfall/t'stm activity (hopefully) is next Wednesday. Until then, full-time "Sprinklers."

April 2024:

The HRRR runs today continue to show cells bubbling up again through parts of east-central Iowa this afternoon and evening, with a few lucky spots getting 1-2" while others get very little.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

According to NWS Hastings, June was a top 10 hottest in Central Nebraska history. I will have to see official stats for amount of days over 90. It will be a lot. Month was 5-7 degrees above average with below normal precipitation. Grass looks like August 1 not July 1. Irrigation season is now going 100%.

• Like 1

The last month was hot. This week is hot. Then I just took a look at next week. Might be the hottest week in years. Over 100 several days is forecasted. I don’t even want to fathom what dews might be. Corn will putting moisture into the air along with irrigation. I’ve had relatives from Texas say that Central Nebraska in July and early August felt hotter than Texas when corn is growing and irrigation is running 100%. Then add a heat wave.

• Like 2

Some clouds trying to hide the sun a bit. Hopefully, a t'stm can pop up outta nowhere. :wacko:

April 2024:

Attm, 86F/66F. Not too bad. Noticeable humidity levels, which is okay by my standards. Anything at 70F or higher becomes annoying to me and has a big X mark next to it.

April 2024:

Just looked at my extended outlook and looks more like a "Heat Tsunami." Temps in the 90s for the foreseeable future.

April 2024:

The last month was hot. This week is hot. Then I just took a look at next week. Might be the hottest week in years. Over 100 several days is forecasted. I don’t even want to fathom what dews might be. Corn will putting moisture into the air along with irrigation. I’ve had relatives from Texas say that Central Nebraska in July and early August felt hotter than Texas when corn is growing and irrigation is running 100%. Then add a heat wave.

I heard areas in southwest nebraska around the Cambridge area are in big trouble. Sounds like the dry land corn will be a complete loss and with the heat continuing on the drought in that area will just continue to grow. 

• Like 2

I've managed to pick up almost a half inch of rain today from the bubbly cells.

The upcoming heat doesn't look too bad.  The locals, NWS, and The Weather Channel all have upper 80s to maybe 90º every day.  Today's Euro has mid to upper 80s through day eight, then 90/91 on day 9/10.  That's warm, but pretty tame.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I heard areas in southwest nebraska around the Cambridge area are in big trouble. Sounds like the dry land corn will be a complete loss and with the heat continuing on the drought in that area will just continue to grow.

Unless they can irrigate, it will be a loss. Lots of water here, but it all costs money, electricity, fuel, water, etc. if drought conditions expand I think commodity prices will go up. Double edged sword.

Caught a break from humidity today, dews only in the low 50’s. They are back tomorrow and it only gets worse in the coming days. I have underground sprinklers and my yard looks the worst it has in years. Continued heat and wind just saps whatever water you put down.

Tip: Best time to water your lawn is morning (5am-10am at the latest).  You want the water to hit the soil. If you use your sprinklers later than that time, all the water goes to waste, as it will evaporate b4 hitting the soil as the sun is beating down. Nighttime water causes droplets to cling to the grass, therefore increasing the chance of a disease to form. Just make sure to give it 1-1.5" of water per week. Dont go overboard, be careful.

• Like 1

April 2024:

Attm, deep, blue sunny skies w temps at 82F. Not too uncomfortable, YET!

April 2024:

I've managed to pick up almost a half inch of rain today from the bubbly cells.

The upcoming heat doesn't look too bad. The locals, NWS, and The Weather Channel all have upper 80s to maybe 90º every day. Today's Euro has mid to upper 80s through day eight, then 90/91 on day 9/10. That's warm, but pretty tame.

My you are lucky. A strip to my northeast through my county also got around that amount. I was in a dry hole once again kinda like last summer but at least also had more good hits at other times last year.

It looks like June 2020 was indeed the sunniest of record at Grand Rapids with a reported 82.3% of possible sunshine the old record was 81.7% back in 1963. At Grand Rapids there now have been 3 days in a row with highs in the upper 80's but over at Muskegon they have now had 3 days in a row with highs in the 90's.

At this time it is clear and 66 here at my house and the last reading at GRR was reported as cloudy?? and 67

• Like 2

Rise N Shine from AZ!  This is my last day here for what has been a long 4 month stay. I can't believe how fast time flies...it feels like it was just yesterday that I got here.  Nonetheless, I'm excited to head back home and tackle the 26-28 hour non stop drive from Phoenix to Chicago!  I've been watching the models to see what the weather will look like down in TX/OK and it looks like there is a chance of some severe wx right about the time I'll be cruising near OKC later this evening.  Might have to dodge some storms or at least see mother nature show off a light show to my north while driving down the I-40.

I'll chime in from time to time while on the road.  Be good and stay cool everyone!

http://www.weather.gov/images/oun/graphicast/image5.png?5b93247bc76788f5211b38b8553df13e

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_21.png

• Like 3