Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

81F at Holbrook, AZ...made a quick pit stop to refuel and hopped on I-40 heading east towards Albuquerque. Saw many campers while driving up through the mountains. The scenery for the rest of the way through AZ will be pretty baron.

• Like 2

The latest reading at GRR is now at 87. Here at my house I now have a reading of 93. While Grand Rapids has not had a day of 90 or better since June 20th Muskegon now has had 4 days in a row of 90 or better. In fact Muskegon has had the state high on 2 of the last 3 days. Across the area so far this summer Muskegon and Kalamazoo have had 5 days of 90 or better. Grand Rapids 4. Holland 3 and to the east Lansing has also had 3 days so far. The average number of 90 days in the last 30 years are Grand Rapids 10. Kalamazoo 13. Holland 9. Muskegon average is only 3 so they are already have more than average. And to the east at Lansing their average is 9 days of 90 or better over the last 30 years.

Just crossed the border into NM and I drove through a brief shower. 1st Monsoon precip of the season. Noticed a bit more moisture in the air. 78F under mostly cloudy skies just outside of Gallup, NM.

• Like 1

Temps are approaching 90F w dew at 61, which is not all that bad. Skies are nothing but deep blue.

Ugggh.....wish I was in Greece now! Dang Covid! :wacko:

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

We just made it into OK and it’s a balmy 92F and humid! I miss the moisture in the air. What a fun storm that was back in TX. I could still see vivid lighting in my rear view mirror. Next stop....OKC!

• Like 3

Holy smokes, what a night of driving...we are currently just passed Springfield, IL and on our final leg of the trip. I managed to drive all the way just before Tulsa, OK, then took a 2 hr break while my Dad drove, then drove another 3 hours through MO and that’s when we encountered a nearly stationary intense cell near Rolla, MO. My goodness, this had to be the most insane nightfall rains I’ve seen. I nearly got hit by a massive lightning bolt just to my south. The sky was lit up in an almost continuous fireworks show from Mother Nature. One of the most memorable excursions I’ve had driving on a road trip. If anyone can pull up the rainfall totals from that city I’d appreciate it. It so happens that there is still some residual rain from that storm this morning! Wild wx to say the least.

• Like 6

If anyone can pull up the rainfall totals from that city I’d appreciate it.

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 9.25.24 AM.png

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Yesterday official high of 92 was the first time of a 90 or better at GR since June 20th and 2020 now has had 5 days of 90 or better. At the current time the official reading at GRR is 87 with a DP of 69 while here at my house I have 91 with a DP of 71. Either way it is more humid today then it has been.

Holy smokes, what a night of driving...we are currently just passed Springfield, IL and on our final leg of the trip. I managed to drive all the way just before Tulsa, OK, then took a 2 hr break while my Dad drove, then drove another 3 hours through MO and that’s when we encountered a nearly stationary intense cell near Rolla, MO. My goodness, this had to be the most insane nightfall rains I’ve seen. I nearly got hit by a massive lightning bolt just to my south. The sky was lit up in an almost continuous fireworks show from Mother Nature. One of the most memorable excursions I’ve had driving on a road trip. If anyone can pull up the rainfall totals from that city I’d appreciate it. It so happens that there is still some residual rain from that storm this morning! Wild wx to say the least.

On today's CocoRahs reports the highest reports were 1.51" 1.46" and 1.21" 

Enjoyed reading your updates Tom! That's a wild ride! And impressive temp swings down in TX and OK. 64-92!

Ya, for sure!  The rain cooled air felt real nice when we stopped for gas.  The wind was gusty from the outflows created by the storm and in the flat lands of the TX Panhandle, there was zero obstruction.  The double rainbow had to be the coolest thing I've seen in a while!

• Like 1

Ya, for sure!  The rain cooled air felt real nice when we stopped for gas.  The wind was gusty from the outflows created by the storm and in the flat lands of the TX Panhandle, there was zero obstruction.  The dotuble rainbow had to be the coolest thing I've seen 

Hmmm, thought for sure it would be a lot more...

Not a whole lot of reports from Phelphs and Crawford counties.  The reports were from this morning but who knows the rain may have fallen in other locations. But it looks like most of the state did not receive any rain at all.

7/3/2020   7:00 AM   MO-PH-20   St. James 1.2 SE    1.51       NA   |     NA        NA   |    NA    MO Phelps

7/3/2020   8:00 AM   MO-PH-51   Rolla 4.2 E    1.12       NA   |     NA        NA   |    NA    MO

Phelps

7/3/2020   6:30 AM   MO-CF-1   Steelville 5.6 SW    1.21      0.0   |     NA       0.0   |    NA    MO Crawford  icon_view.gif  Classic | New   7/3/2020   9:30 AM   MO-CF-8   St. James 7.7 SE    1.46       NA   |     NA        NA   |    NA    MO Crawford

We ended up with about .20” last night. Just that little rain did green things up some today. Next week looks oppressive. Forecast has several days at 100-102 starting mid week. I’ll be honest, we’ve been spoiled around here the last few summers with much above normal precipitation and lower temps. This is more typical.

• Like 1

Happy 4th of July everyone as we celebrate America's 244th birthday!  I love this country and the freedom's we cherish each and every day.  Our nation declared it's freedom by the founding Father's who signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776. God bless them and all of you on this memorable day.

9c4bd4a3e639aca0ee3041cebda1bb27--july-q

I'm happy to say we made it safe and sound back home to Chicago....and a LONG trip it was...traveled a total of 1,711 miles while burned 70 gallons of fuel that cost >$200. 

Trip Tidbits: Engine burn time 25 hours while total time almost exactly 28 hours!  One of the quickest trips I've taken over the years of driving back and forth.

Meantime, the weather here last evening was absolutely amazing.  Exactly what I wanted to feel when I was in AZ yearning for these days/evenings.  A lake breeze blew in later in the afternoon and dropped the DP towards 60F while the temp was in the mid 80's.  I had to mow the lawn, pluck weeds and pick up branches that were scattered all over the yard.  Mind you, I enjoy working outside and doing stuff around the house.  I told my lawn service company not to cut it last week bc I knew we would be home for the 4th so I saved a couple bucks.  The healthy rains that fell last week really helped the grass grow a lot but man, the weeds and crab grass this year is bad!  I'm not sure if its even worth getting any weed killer/etc bc the forecast looks hot and dry over the next couple weeks.

Have a splendid day everyone!  I'm debating if I'm going to hit the beach or chill at my buddy's pool.  Nonetheless, a lot of us will Fry on this 4th of July!

• Like 4

While this week will be HOT, I'm eye balling an intense burst of heat across the central Plains next weekend when temps could top the low 110's!  Still days away but the LR signal is for some crazy heat.  Both the Euro/GFS are similar in placement of the heat dome.

gfs_T2m_ncus_32.png

1.png

• Like 1

After digesting more data, I'm afraid the central/eastern ag belt region may have real issues with drought and crop stress.  My goodness, the signal off both the GEFS/EPS for the foreseeable future is NOT looking good.  While some of us across the northern periphery of the ever growing central CONUS ridge may get lucky later next week, the rest of our Sub will be stuck in a stagnant pattern...one I have not seen in many years.  The Summer of 2012 starts coming to mind as I recall days in the 90's and low 100's here.  

00z GEFS trying to bring some relief next Friday...

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_24.png

• Like 2

After digesting more data, I'm afraid the central/eastern ag belt region may have real issues with drought and crop stress.  My goodness, the signal off both the GEFS/EPS for the foreseeable future is NOT looking good.  While some of us across the northern periphery of the ever growing central CONUS ridge may get lucky later next week, the rest of our Sub will be stuck in a stagnant pattern...one I have not seen in many years.  The Summer of 2012 starts coming to mind as I recall days in the 90's and low 100's here.  

00z GEFS trying to bring some relief next Friday...

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_24.png

Glad you made it back safely Tom and thanks for keeping us updated! Kind of neat how you experienced several storms on your way home.

BTW, this map looks decent for my area.

• Like 1

Glad you made it back safely Tom and thanks for keeping us updated! Kind of neat how you experienced several storms on your way home.

BTW, this map looks decent for my area.

You and I are on the same page as I felt the same on the drive back home.

• Like 1

Yesterday was pretty nice.... upper 80s with a mid 60s dew.  Today will feel much warmer... temp and dew both 3-5º warmer.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

@Tom...no doubt regarding the weed killer. I spent about $80 on some for my backyard. Looked good for about a week and then when the heat dome moved in it almost looks like I never used any. Lol. Also agree that this is looking more like summer 2012!

Already at 82°!

• Like 2

Weeds may be all that are living if the maps that Tom posted verify. I just mowed. Is is a gross morning, dew in the low 70’s and no wind. I think moisture from the irrigation of the corn, and the corn giving off moisture,is starting to also add to the tropical feel to the air. I am completely drenched in sweat. I guess I got my workout in. Got about 12000 steps behind my Toro self propelled.

• Like 1

One knows how warm and stable the air mass is when temperatures are in the mid 80’s all across the state even with light winds out of the east and north east. We do not see happen here in Michigan all that often in mid-summer. This is something that would normally happen in early September. On my early morning walk today the areas that have not been watered are now becoming brown. That will lead to possible even hotter weather later next week.

Yesterday was pretty nice.... upper 80s with a mid 60s dew.  Today will feel much warmer... temp and dew both 3-5º warmer.

The dewpoint has fallen back down to 64º, so, once again, it's not too bad out.

• Like 1

Models continue to show an extreme heat wave for the central plains in a week or so.  This morning's GFS has a high temp in Holdrege, NE of 116º next Sunday.  Wow!

• Like 1