July 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

It is disgusting outside. Temp is 83 w a dew of 75F. That is almost extreme levels of humidity. Hopefully some storms move in.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Heat continues next week after a brief relief this weekend (80s if you wanna call this a cooldown). The record will be broken if this continues, which is 17X in the 90s for the month of July, set back in 1955.

April 2024:

Some hope...........

Hazardous Weather Outlook

National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI

434 AM EDT Wed Jul 8 2020

MIZ053-061-062-068>070-075-076-083-090845-

Saginaw-Genesee-Lapeer-Livingston-Oakland-Macomb-Washtenaw-Wayne-

Monroe-

434 AM EDT Wed Jul 8 2020

This hazardous weather outlook is for portions of southeast

Michigan.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight

A Heat Advisory is in effect today. Please see the latest urgent

weather message for details.

Scattered thunderstorms are possible from mid afternoon through mid

evening. The strongest storms are not expected to reach severe limits

but will be capable of brief heavy rainfall and wind gusts around 40

mph while moving east at 15 mph.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Thursday through Tuesday

The Heat Advisory continues into Thursday. Please see the latest

urgent weather message for details.

Scattered thunderstorms are again possible on Thursday. A better

chance for thunderstorms arrives on Thursday night and Friday as a

cold front moves in. The chance for severe thunderstorms remains

low.

April 2024:

Doesn't take much to flood the Red River apparently. No wonder there's a major flood every Spring.

...The National Weather Service in Grand Forks ND has issued a Flood
Warning for the following rivers in Minnesota...North Dakota...

Red River at Fargo affecting Cass and Clay Counties.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Safety message - Turn around, don`t drown. Don`t travel through
flooded areas. Most flood deaths occur in vehicles.

People living in the Red River basin should monitor river levels
while the river is in, or near, flood.

River forecasts use 24 hours of forecast precipitation between April
1st and October 1st, and 48 hours otherwise. However, depending on
the situation, forecasts may include precipitation expected through
the next 72 hours.

For more information go to the AHPS/River tab on our web page at
www.weather.gov/grandforks.

MNC027-NDC017-092145-
/O.NEW.KFGF.FL.W.0039.200710T2100Z-200714T0600Z/
/FGON8.1.ER.200710T2100Z.200712T0000Z.200713T0000Z.NO/
1042 AM CDT Wed Jul 8 2020

* Flood Warning for
the Red River at Fargo.
* From Friday afternoon to late Monday night.
* At 10:15 AM CDT Wednesday the stage was 15.6 feet.
* Flood stage is 18.0 feet.
* Minor flooding is forecast.
* Forecast...The river is expected to rise above flood stage Friday
afternoon to a crest of 18.5 feet Saturday evening. It will then
fall below flood stage Sunday evening.
* Impact...At 18.0 feet, MINOR FLOOD. Elm St between 14th and 15th
Ave N is closed (Fargo). Storm sewer pump stations are beginning
to operate (Fargo).

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Currently at 88F w very humid conditions. Hazy sunshine as well.

I am going to be in my pool all day today, no question about it and on my patio drinking fresh, cold lemonade! :D

April 2024:

Pool day.jpg

This is where ya have to be today. It is unbearable out there!!!!

• Like 2

April 2024:

Sick and tired of the heat and the humidity but that has been the story of the summer. Windy days and every once and a while severe MCS's have hit around and in my area. Tonight looks like it might be the worst one yet......NAM has a nasty line moving through here later. We need the rain but the damaging winds can stay away. We were upgraded to an Enhanced risk this morning; tonight should be interesting to say the least! 

nam3km_ref_frzn_ncus_fh10-10.gif

• Like 5

Sick and tired of the heat and the humidity but that has been the story of the summer. Windy days and every once and a while severe MCS's have hit around and in my area. Tonight looks like it might be the worst one yet......NAM has a nasty line moving through here later. We need the rain but the damaging winds can stay away. We were upgraded to an Enhanced risk this morning; tonight should be interesting to say the least!

Hail and 70 mph winds would be a disaster. Even though it has been incredibly hot and dry, the corn and soybeans look great, thank you irrigation. We could sure use the 1-2” of rain predicted in some forecasts.

• Like 2

Good luck to you guys out in Central Nebraska and hope you score some decent storms tonight. Right now, it looks like another miss is on tap for us in far Eastern Nebraska. Went from a 90% chance of heavy rain and storms (from last night’s forecast) to 20-30% for a possible glancing blow.

It’s time to give up on the prospect of a nice, green yard this summer.

• Like 2

88F with a dew point of 78F.  Heat index of 101F.  Absolutely terrible.  Let's track snowstorms instead. 

Tomorrow looks nice. Very low humidity and struggling to get to 80, at least here. I'll probably head to Detroit Lakes and take advantage of a cool day there as those have less traffic normally.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

:o

"Massive Heatwave incoming"

image.png.16f85fe0cce2bad03dd7d5d5303462

April 2024:

Received some very good rainfall here IMBY today........Finally!  Parts of the area got near 2.5." It was coming down in buckets. No thunder or wind. Just torrential rain.

• Like 2

April 2024:

Did NE just have its highest amount of severe wx reports last night???  Boy, what a vicious line of storms that swept through the great plains of NE and continues into KS this morning.  Hope our members are safe.  I'm sure some of them have their power out from those strong straight line winds.  There is a laundry list of severe wx reports this morning coming out of NE.

The high rez NAM did a phenominal job advertising this line of storms....

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=sel5rad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=150&interval=5&year=2020&month=7&day=8&hour=21&minute=0

Based on this radar loop, it certainly looks like @CentralNeb got crushed and our other member near Grand Island.  

@Gabel, how did you fair?

1.gif

• Like 3

Things are looking better for me today with CAMS finally in better agreement on storms moving east and southeast across eastern Iowa. At least they shifted further south to include my area though I might be near the edge. It's getting so dry here and the corn sure was rolling leaves during the daytime. There's not much irrigation around here as normally we get adequate summer rainfall. It seems recent Julys are trending dryer.

• Like 2

Did NE just have its highest amount of severe wx reports last night???  Boy, what a vicious line of storms that swept through the great plains of NE and continues into KS this morning.  Hope our members are safe.  I'm sure some of them have their power out from those strong straight line winds.  There is a laundry list of severe wx reports this morning coming out of NE.

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=sel5rad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=150&interval=5&year=2020&month=7&day=8&hour=21&minute=0

Based on this radar loop, it certainly looks like @CentralNeb got crushed and our other member near Grand Island.  

Yes it was interesting to watch the storms congeal over the North Platte KLNX radar station last evening.
  • Like 1

Yes it was interesting to watch the storms congeal over the North Platte KLNX radar station last evening.

I could only imagine the light show mother nature showed off last night looking west at these storms.  BTW, regarding what you said earlier, I like both your chances and mine for more beneficial rains in this hot pattern we are in.

• Like 1

Attm, it is gross outside. Temp is 79F, dew is 79F as well, which saturates the air at 100% w moisture outside. UGH!

April 2024:

Happy that I'll be in Western Montana at the end of that period.

:blink:

April 2024:

Just came back from my morning cardio workout which consisted of about a 2 mile walk, followed by an High Intensity Interval Training, 5 min long, 15 second interval, knee highs at the park.  I decided to elevate my cardio this morning because I felt strong after being held back the past few days.  Love these warm and humid mornings!  80F/71F...soak it in folks, before we realize it, it'll be Labor Day and Summer will be coming to an end.  I'm already noticing how the sun is rising later each morning.

Starting to hear a lot of talk about the "Summer of 2012" level type heat next week which was mentioned here a week or so ago.  Boy, some places in the S Plains/S MW are gonna bake!

OK/TX = En Fuego!

icon_T2m_scus_38.png

1.png

• Like 2

Good luck to you guys out in Central Nebraska and hope you score some decent storms tonight. Right now, it looks like another miss is on tap for us in far Eastern Nebraska. Went from a 90% chance of heavy rain and storms (from last night’s forecast) to 20-30% for a possible glancing blow.

It’s time to give up on the prospect of a nice, green yard this summer.

I ended with 0.85”. Lots of wind at the start, small limbs down. Very beneficial rain. Amazing how good everything looks after a rain. You can water and water, but it isn’t like a good rain.

• Like 4

Did NE just have its highest amount of severe wx reports last night??? Boy, what a vicious line of storms that swept through the great plains of NE and continues into KS this morning. Hope our members are safe. I'm sure some of them have their power out from those strong straight line winds. There is a laundry list of severe wx reports this morning coming out of NE.

Luckily just some small limbs down, some trampolines blown over. My grill was blown again the garage. Had 0.85”. Always hope for more, but the line was moving. We were very concerned about hail, but haven’t heard any reports in this area. Radar estimates show areas just to my south probably got 2-3”. All and all it was beneficial for most. Next week looks hot again, maybe 100’s.

• Like 1

I ended with 0.85”. Lots of wind at the start, small limbs down. Very beneficial rain. Amazing how good everything looks after a rain. You can water and water, but it isn’t like a good rain.

Glad to hear you got some good storms and some beneficial rains. We got grazed in Omaha as expected, didn’t see much storm activity outside of some gusty outflow winds and distant lightning overnight. Picked up about .20 of rain last night, which is better than nothing.

Looks like Lincoln had some severe winds last night as well. Down here for work today and saw some small to medium sized tree limbs down from the storms.

HRRR keeps the rain to the northeast of CR and Iowa City this afternoon/evening.  But the NAM and 3k NAM both give a pretty solid hit.  According to the 3K NAM storms should reach CR sometime after 1pm.  We'll see.  Nice blob of storms in NW Iowa kind of just rotating around though, hard to tell where it might go. 

Awesome close up video of a tornado in MN yesterday that reminds me of the movie "Twister"...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1281023711508905985

awesome video of a healthy twister. But what in the heck is the driver doing at the very end of the video? Turning right into the darn thing? Darwinism at it's finest. 

• Like 1

awesome video of a healthy twister. But what in the heck is the driver doing at the very end of the video? Turning right into the darn thing? Darwinism at it's finest.

Right! I was thinking the same thing, but I assume the twister was heading away from him. Anyway, too close for my comfort.

• Like 3

HRRR keeps the rain to the northeast of CR and Iowa City this afternoon/evening.  But the NAM and 3k NAM both give a pretty solid hit.  According to the 3K NAM storms should reach CR sometime after 1pm.  We'll see.  Nice blob of storms in NW Iowa kind of just rotating around though, hard to tell where it might go. 

Earlier HRRR runs were bullish for CR/IC, but the last two have moved everything north and east.  We have a potent MCV moving in and we have high instability.  I'll be PO'd if we get missed today.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Earlier HRRR runs were bullish for CR/IC, but the last two have moved everything north and east.  We have a potent MCV moving in and we have high instability.  I'll be PO'd if we get missed today.

Yeah radar looked hopeful earlier, but I don’t like recent radar trends. Looks plenty far north.

• Like 1

National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI

443 AM EDT Thu Jul 9 2020

MIZ047-048-053-060>062-068>070-075-076-082-083-100845-

Midland-Bay-Saginaw-Shiawassee-Genesee-Lapeer-Livingston-Oakland-

Macomb-Washtenaw-Wayne-Lenawee-Monroe-

443 AM EDT Thu Jul 9 2020

This hazardous weather outlook is for portions of southeast

Michigan.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight

A Heat Advisory is in effect today. Please see the latest urgent

weather message for details.

Scattered thunderstorms are possible from mid afternoon through mid

evening. The strongest storms are not expected to become severe but

will be capable of brief heavy rainfall and wind gusts around 40 mph

while moving northeast at 15 mph.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Friday through Wednesday

Scattered thunderstorms are again possible on Friday and Friday

evening as a cold front moves in. The chance for severe thunderstorms

remains low.

April 2024:

Currently at 86F under partly cloudy skies. Its beautiful outside, although very humid.

Ok..back to my tanning! ;)

April 2024:

The watch for eastern Iowa has been issued.  Now we just need the line to develop southward.

The storms are vigorous up by Mason City.  No doubt a few spots will receive 2-3" from that.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

The new HRRR finally brings back a strong line for CR/IC later this afternoon.  It's worth noting that the HRRR is greatly underdoing the late-morning/early-afternoon storms from Mason City to Waterloo.  That bodes well for the rest of us.

Dew points are much lower just to my sw. I’m hoping that air doesn’t make it here to soon. The wind increased here recently more from the south now. I have a bad gut feeling about this for down here. Oh well, I’ll know soon.