July 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Wow, it’s unbelievable how out of dozens of storm chances I can’t even score a decent rainfall and some places got a couple cells again today! Worst summer I can recall of repeatedly getting missed! Wouldn’t be so annoying if it wouldn’t be so close all around. All this heat and humidity wasted again! These storms seem somewhat moisture starved like in the high plains. No low shelf clouds even along the gust front. I better continue watering things.

• Like 2

I'm back.  I lost power when the storm hit.  I got a solid storm, but nothing major.  I experienced ~50 mph wind, a small amount of pea size hail, and 0.42" of rain.  It appears the severe wind hit the north and east sides.  The two bad hail storms today missed just northeast and southwest of the city.  I certainly didn't want the golfball/baseball hail.

I just saw the radar loop, Sparky.  You really are getting screwed, repeatedly.

• Like 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

And meanwhile it's 76°F here. Beautiful. THIS is the summer weather I looked forward to, not the humid 90s crap I had last week.

Beautiful night here in the Omaha metro as well, thankfully with how little moisture we have had here it’s a nice and comfortable July evening here with temps in the mid 70’s with a mid 50’s dewpoint.

Spent the day with the family swimming in the Platte River south of Omaha at our campsite near Cedar Creek, Nebraska... the river was running as low as I have seen it in the last 5+ years, my oldest son and I were able to cross at least 3/4’s of the river on foot this afternoon and the water was clear up to 3’ deep which is unusual here.

• Like 5

Those were some wicked storms that rocked E IA yesterday.  Quad cities reported 80mph wind:

AN 80 MPH wind gust was measured at the Quad City Airport!!! #ilwx

@ Hawkeye, you finally scored a decent storm!  Had a good feeling you were going to get hit when those storms were firing up in the afternoon.

Meantime, it's a pleasant morning here today and I'm looking forward to daytime highs near 80F and a stiff NE wind off the lake.  I'm heading out on the water with my bro's family on the Chain O'Lakes today.  Looking forward to bonus wx in July.

1.gif

• Like 1

I've been analyzing the various climate models over the past few weeks to see clues on how the summer will end and how the autumn will begin.  Needless to say, we might see the hottest stretch of the summer next week IMO for those of us around the MW/GL's region.  I still think the hottest wx will remain west and south of here for the remainder of summer.  The ridge which has been centered primarily across the central/southern states looks to retrograde a bit more west and northwest as we finish off the month and head into August.  I do believe it will remain very active due to a strong signal for a NW Flow pattern.  Farmers should be quite happy from NE and the heartland of the MW/Upper MW, but not so much in the KS/S Plains region I'm afraid.

Edit: Next week I'll dive in farther into what the models are showing for Autumn and a glimpse into the 2020-2021 Winter...is blocking coming back????

I've been analyzing the various climate models over the past few weeks to see clues on how the summer will end and how the autumn will begin. Needless to say, we might see the hottest stretch of the summer next week IMO for those of us around the MW/GL's region. I still think the hottest wx will remain west and south of here for the remainder of summer. The ridge which has been centered primarily across the central/southern states looks to retrograde a bit more west and northwest as we finish off the month and head into August. I do believe it will remain very active due to a strong signal for a NW Flow pattern. Farmers should be quite happy from NE and the heartland of the MW/Upper MW, but not so much in the KS/S Plains region I'm afraid.

Edit: Next week I'll dive in farther into what the models are showing for Autumn and a glimpse into the 2020-2021 Winter...is blocking coming back????

Man, if we can get that ridge to retrograde before August, that would be pretty early. Would be significantlyearlier than in years past. May kick off a huge burst in gulf flow and tropical activities though.

Attm, its 76F w a dew of 61F. Feels comfortable outside. As an upper level disturbance rolls on through today, a isolated t'stm is possible. Temps will remain in the upper 70s to low 80s for highs.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Next week's heatwave arrives by late in the week w more 90s adding into this Summa. It will be another scorcher.

Hopefully, the ridge stays further west next week and doesn't get too hot IMBY...........

m500z_11-15_bg_US.png.44c46397f03ff937dc

An absolutely marvelous day today whereby ORD only made it to 79F! I decided not to go on the boat but instead went to the beach on Lake Michigan. The white caps were rocking and the waves were crashing on the shore. It’s wild how much shorter the beaches are from the high water levels, add to that the high waves and it resulted in much less space to sit by the beach.

At this time, it is a gorgeous almost September like evening with a temp in the low 70’s and DP at 63F. The smell of firewood is in the air. Early taste of Autumn...:for a day at least...

• Like 1

Another gorgeous day here in East Central Nebraska as well, with high temperatures in the mid 80's, plentiful sunshine, and low humidity. It was a great weekend to camp and do some swimming with the family, not too hot, just perfect actually. This morning I would dare to say it was actually a little bit chilly while I was up cleaning up the area around our camper and preparing breakfast for the family. 

It looks like things heat right back up into the 90's tomorrow, and hopefully we can get some rain and storms Monday night and Tuesday... even with the cooler weather, things are really starting to brown up around here. Unfortunately the pattern for late night storms looks similar to last week with some areas getting plentiful moisture and others nothing... and it looks like East Central Nebraska could be in between the MCS's again. We shall see... 

Took this picture while checking out the Platte River again at our campground's sandbar access earlier this afternoon. 

river.jpg

• Like 4

It's a gorgeous morning today with temps in the low 60's and I see pockets of upper 50's locally!  I left the windows open last night around the house and the lower level is actually a weee bit chilly!  We've had a LONG stretch of warmth around here that started in late June.  Actually, when I come to think of it, I haven't felt temps like these in months since I was in AZ prob around the middle of May.  Wow!  No wonder it feels soo D**n good.  Love waking up to mornings like these mixed in with warmer and humid days.

Anyway, the sun rises at 5:28pm today (my Bday)...haha, it's nice to see some synchronizations on a Monday morning. Woah, MQT is down to 50F this morning up in the U.P.

• Like 1

The models are locked on a very active NW Flow "Ring of Fire" pattern over the next 2 weeks.  I looked at the GEFS/EPS/CFSv2 and the model consensus is for the central/southern Plains to bake while those of us pretty much along and north of KS/MO and points east remain active.

gfs-ens_apcpn_us_64.png

wk1.wk2_latest.NAsfcT.png

1.png

• Like 3

It was a very pleasant day yesterday. It was a good day to get out and I cut the grass and should now be good to go for at least a week or so. The official low at GRR this morning was 59 (will have to see if it dropped cooler between readings)  and that will be the coolest low since June 26th the low here at my house was 58 and currently it is 59 and clear.

It's a gorgeous morning today with temps in the low 60's and I see pockets of upper 50's locally! I left the windows open last night around the house and the lower level is actually a weee bit chilly! We've had a LONG stretch of warmth around here that started in late June. Actually, when I come to think of it, I haven't felt temps like these in months since I was in AZ prob around the middle of May. Wow! No wonder it feels soo d**n good. Love waking up to mornings like these mixed in with warmer and humid days.

Anyway, the sun rises at 5:28pm today (my Bday)...haha, it's nice to see some synchronizations on a Monday morning. Woah, MQT is down to 50F this morning up in the U.P.

Happy Birthday Tom!

Splendid morning outside w temps in the 60s, low humidity relatively speaking and lots of sunshine.

Next shot of rainfall/storms looks to be by midweek for mby.

The models are locked on a very active NW Flow "Ring of Fire" pattern over the next 2 weeks. I looked at the GEFS/EPS/CFSv2 and the model consensus is for the central/southern Plains to bake while those of us pretty much along and north of KS/MO and points east remain active.

Wow, looks like I'll have to bring a sweatshirt to Montana.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

It is fantastiko outside. I was playing backgammon w my best friend and a side of "Frappe" and it just felt amazing. Kinda like late August or early September. A nice cool breeze w temps in the 70s w low humidity feels awesome this time of the year.

Attm, its 75F w mostly sunny skies. Dew is at 60F along w a nice N breeze. Feels like Autumn out there.

This is certainly not the look of a heat wave.

The euro does have temps well into the 90s across Missouri and central/southern Illinois for 4+ days, so the precip map is a bit misleading.  Much of the rain across Missouri comes late in the period when the flow turns to the nw.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Currently at 73F w a blend of clouds and sun. I swear y'all, its almost like "Fall" out there. Lows tanite dropping into the cool 50s. Just wish this airmass could stay throughout the Summa. It just feels too good!!!!!

Well......this could be a problem. @CentralNeb. let me know how bad you get it if your still up! Sounds like it means business! 

At 939 PM CDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
extending from 11 miles southwest of Callaway to 6 miles north of
Eustis to near Medicine Creek Reservoir State Recreation Area, moving
east at 35 mph.

HAZARD...70 mph wind gusts and penny size hail.

PNG image-D8C28ADD8DC7-1.png

• Like 1