July 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

I just received this Emal I was surprised that I have had so many reports.

750 Reports!
Thank You!

According to our database, you have surpassed 750 reports.
Spectacular!
Thank you for being such a great volunteer.

The CoCoRaHS Team

appreciates

James
MI-KN-33
943 Observations

We really appreciate all that you do for us. Please let us know if we can do anything to make your CoCoRaHS experience any better.  Thanks again!

• Like 3

Grilling some chicken, along w Greek salad on the side and some sweet red wine. Its gonna be terrrrrrrrific!!!!!!! Desert will be "Strawberry shortcake." Then, I will have to go to my gym area and sweat it all off later tanite :lol:

Oh, its beautiful outside as I am on my patio. Temp in the 80s w low humidity. Gotta luv this type of weather in the heart of Summa!!!!! ;)

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

The MCS just reached Fargo.  The sagging line should drop some good rain on Fargo.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

What is this low humidity you speak of?

Dew being in the upper 50s to near 60F is considered comfortably low even low 60s, considering the time of the year.

April 2024:

Currently at a very pleasant 79F, dew 62F under crystal clear skies. Its phenomenal outside and very comfortable!!!!

April 2024:

750 Reports!

Thank You!

Spectacular!

The CoCoRaHS Team

appreciates

James

MI-KN-33

943 Observations

We really appreciate all that you do for us. Please let us know if we can do anything to make your CoCoRaHS experience any better.  Thanks again!

Great work there!
  • Like 1

The Omaha metro is now officially in the D1 Moderate Drought category as well as several areas to our north and east in Eastern Nebraska and Western Iowa.

Crazy to think last year at this time we were still dealing with lots of flooding around here... my how things change in one year.

One year ago I was in the same boat as I am this July: Dry with good rains just missing all the time. That’s getting old.
  • Like 1

750 Reports!

Thank You!

Spectacular!

The CoCoRaHS Team

appreciates

James

MI-KN-33

943 Observations

Keep up the good work!  I enjoy reading your input on here.

"The Dog Days of Summer" are upon us folks!  Yup, it's one of those mornings where you wake up again and you feel sticky.  ORD only made it down to a balmy 78F with a dew of 72F.  I was thinking of heading to the beach but instead, I'd rather go to a pool instead.  Not going to even think about sitting on the beach and bake.

• Like 1

"The Dog Days of Summer" are upon us folks! Yup, it's one of those mornings where you wake up again and you feel sticky. ORD only made it down to a balmy 78F with a dew of 72F. I was thinking of heading to the beach but instead, I'd rather go to a pool instead. Not going to even think about sitting on the beach and bake.

I hear ya! Even with the A/C on full blast it still feels a bit sticky. Before the storms rolled through MSP at 2am had a heat index of 90F. That’s disgusting. What is this...Houston? No thanks.

Forecast calls for 95F today with an index of up to 109F. All -time high dew point is 82F. I don’t think we’ll get there but it could be close.

• Like 2

I'm not sure why the NWS has 80% chance of pops tonight as most of the models don't look impressive at all. And now the front looks to stall south of Iowa along with the storms the next few days. The WPC cut QPF to around half of what it showed for days.

• Like 1

The over night low here at my house was 64. Officially at GRR the low was 65. Currently the last reading at GRR was 76 with a DP of 69. Here at my house it it is cloudy and 78 with a DP of 70. At this time there is a area of thunderstorms over northern Lake Michigan and another area in NE Iowa. 

The heat and humidity have arrived and marks the beginnings of this 3 day heatwave.

Its muggy outside now w dew at 73F and a temp of 83F. Tomorrow is the hottest, when heat indices could be >100F.

CF arrives tomorrow w the potential for some nice storms in my area. Cooler, drier air follows afterwards (relatively speaking )w temps remaining in the 80s for highs and lows in the 50s in some of the outlying areas and 60s closer to Detroit.

April 2024:

Hazardous Weather Outlook

Hazardous Weather Outlook

National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI

410 AM EDT Sat Jul 18 2020

MIZ047>049-053>055-060>063-068>070-075-076-082-083-190815-

Midland-Bay-Huron-Saginaw-Tuscola-Sanilac-Shiawassee-Genesee-Lapeer-

St. Clair-Livingston-Oakland-Macomb-Washtenaw-Wayne-Lenawee-Monroe-

410 AM EDT Sat Jul 18 2020

This hazardous weather outlook is for portions of southeast

Michigan.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight

There is a chance of thunderstorms late tonight, mainly north of

I-69. Storms will be capable of producing wind gusts up to 50 mph.

Storm motion is west to east at 30 mph.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Sunday through Friday

There is a chance of thunderstorms Sunday. The potential does exist

for storms to become severe, capable of damaging wind gusts. Additionally,

heat indices may approach or exceed 100F Sunday afternoon increasing

the risk for heat related illnesses.

There is another chance of thunderstorms Tuesday and Wednesday as

the next storm system moves across the Great Lakes region.

April 2024:

Attm, its 83F w a dew of 73F. Its muggy! UGH!

• Like 1

April 2024:

A little astronomy to go w this heat;

Saturn will reach opposition Monday, July 20th.

Network-feature-with-logo.jpg?w=632

and this is how it will look on Sunday, July 19th (45min b4 sunrise).

5PLANETS.jpg?w=632

Back in my college years, Astronomy, Physics, and Mathematics were my favorite subjects.

April 2024:

Already up to 93 degrees at noon in Omaha, however the dewpoint is currently at 71 which is a little bit better than yesterday. I can handle the higher air temperatures if the dewpoints are lower... definitely doesn't look and feel as muggy as it did this time yesterday. Still looking to make a run at 100 today, which I think we will fall short of by a few degrees. 

As for the drought update, as of this morning - Omaha Eppley is now officially more than 7 inches below normal for precipitation for the year (normal value for year to date on July 18 is 17.57, and we are at 10.47 currently). I am having a hard time remembering a January through mid-July period that was this dry around here in my lifetime. We did have a few isolated thunderstorms roll through the metro early this morning, however the most I saw was some sprinkles as moisture was very limited.

Can't wait to see this pattern change and get some better chances of storms here in the next few days! 

• Like 4

The current temperature/DP here at my house is 91/72. The last reading at GRR was 89/72. I did some work in the back yard and while it is not too bad in the shade it sure is hot in the sun. Now I am indoors where it is nice and cool. There is a area of rain with a thunderstorm about mid lake at this time. If this holds together there could be some rain in the GR area later today.
  • Like 1

Maybe the GFS was right when it was showing those low 80s dews

I checked a little bit ago and noticed the dew is 81° & temp is 92°. I was outside working and felt it's getting more humid and hotter, but didn't think it would be that high. The brisk wind helps a lot. Tomorrow will be cooler so this heat wave really isn't that long at all.

• Like 1

90F temp with a dew point of 80, heat index of 107F. I had to come inside after working on the deck for a bit. I got a little woozy. This is legit stuff.

Heat strokes are dangerous. Better take it easy! You probably don't have much wind there if there are trees around? But shade would help too.

• Like 1

We are in the upper 80s with a 78 dew.  Yeah, it's hot, but it feels good to go outside and walk around for 5-10 minutes, once in a while.  It helps that we have a good breeze for the first time in quite a while.

This morning's Euro has a strong line of storms diving south through eastern Iowa late tonight.  I hope so.  We can use the rain again.

• Like 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Well, this wasn’t in the forecast but I’ll take it. ORD I think topped out at 91F before the debris clouds rolled in from a weak line of storms that tracked into N IL. Some minor outflow cam off of the dying line and the temp dropped to 88F! Yahoo! We were supposed to have sunny skies and a high of 95F. The DP is at a sultry 75F, but the lower temps, clouds and wind help a lot. I’m actually enjoying grilling some chicken thighs on my deck right now.

• Like 3

90F temp with a dew point of 80, heat index of 107F. I had to come inside after working on the deck for a bit. I got a little woozy. This is legit stuff.

Funny you mention that. I'm currently putting down a fresh coat of stain. Gonna have to wait on the flooring though due to the heat. Got the railing done though.
  • Like 1

Funny you mention that. I'm currently putting down a fresh coat of stain. Gonna have to wait on the flooring though due to the heat. Got the railing done though.

I didn’t even get the railing done. I worked for 90 minutes and suddenly started seeing stars.

Meanwhile, tornado warning just north of St Paul at the moment.

• Like 2

I didn’t even get the railing done. I worked for 90 minutes and suddenly started seeing stars.

Meanwhile, tornado warning just north of St Paul at the moment.

Classic-looking supercell with a hook feature.

Attm, its 89F w a dew of 69F and RF of 94F.

April 2024: