July 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

I had a total of 0.52″ of rain overnight with some lightning. The low here was a mild 66 at this time it is clear and 67 here. Officially at GRR they reported just 0.22″ of rain and their low was 68 with a current temperature there of 72. To my west at Muskegon they reported 1.01″ of rain with the low the same as mine of 66. And their current temperature is 69. The mean at GRR so far this July is 76.0. And that is good for a departure of +3.5. So while not all that hot compared for much of the US it is warmer then average for our area.

Attm, its 83F w a dew of 67F. A t'stm is near my area now. Skies look ominous. 

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Have to watch a "Storm System" for later on Sunday for the potential of hvy rainfall. This storm will be coming from the south and will be encountering a CF, so will have to see how this all plays out. Btw, the storm track is beautiful, had it been Winter, this would have been a major snowstorm. Could this be a sign of what is to come this Winter season??!! Hope so!

April 2024:

NWS Hastings says there is a chance that Central Nebraska may be missed again by this storm system. Missed to the East today and possibly missed to the west tonight and tomorrow. Their discussion had the tone of this is unbelievable, as Hastings/Adams County is just as dry as my county and others along the Highway 6 corridor. Forecast has been significantly dropping amounts again from what was 1-2” just a day ago to maybe 0.25”. Drought breeds drought I guess. Farmers that I know are so frustrated.

• Like 1

Then there is Hebron Nebraska. 16.16” of rain so far this month makes the Wettest July in their history of 128 years of records The haves and the unfortunate have nots of this summer as many are praying for a little rain.

I know, it’s just amazing and so frustrating! If you look at the map that Tom posted on July 27 on this page it looks like most of Nebraska and all states surrounding Iowa faired much better with rainfall this month. Parts of central and western Iowa were awfully dry. States around us are hogging the rain. Ha I’m in that small green hole in se. Iowa.

https://mrcc.illinois.edu/cliwatch/GIS_plots/prcp_mpe/prcp_mpe_m2d_tot_central.png

• Like 1

This heavy band of rain was the quintessential “garden variety” soaker. I was debating on watering my plants but took a peak at the radar/satellite and decided to hold off. Thank you nature!

Closest reporting station next to me had 1.77” of well-timed rain.

Edit: 1.83"

• Like 4

Then there is Hebron Nebraska. 16.16” of rain so far this month makes the Wettest July in their history of 128 years of records The haves and the unfortunate have nots of this summer as many are praying for a little rain.

The Omaha metro once again ended up in the dreaded "dry hole" of little or no precipitation today as well as areas located immediately to the northwest, north, and northeast of us. 

I picked up around 0.05" of rainfall today in my backyard, while a good portion of one county directly south of me picked up between 2-3" of rain today. I am holding out some small hopes that we can get some redevelopment later tonight, however my optimism continues to fade quickly that we will see any decent rainfall here the rest of this summer... it's just not our year around here and our staggering moisture deficits are showing it (the Omaha Eppley Airfield reporting station's precipitation deficit will surpass 8 inches if there are no additional rains that fall tonight before midnight). 

• Like 2

The thin band of cells this evening built north just enough to drop a decent shower on me.  I picked up 0.12", which mostly filled my barrel.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

A teeny tiny cell just tracked to my south and I saw a lone lightning bolt strike.  I'm very thankful for the rain I got yesterday which was a healthy amount to soak the vegetation. 

LOT.N0Q.20200730.1027.gif

Well, today is the beginning of a transition towards less humidity and very comfortable temps as we embark on a long stretch of slightly BN temps through the extended.  I'm thrilled to finally be able to turn off the A/C later today and let that machine take a break.  Anyone else agree???

• Like 1

Tracking a Summer Time...Lower Lakes Cutter???  The models continue to advertise a fascinating piece of energy coming out of CO and tracking S/SE and then veer E/NE up into lower MI.  This storm track reminds me so much of systems tracked in previous LRC cycles.  I'm quite intrigued at this wx set up and its very possible that some peeps on here in the eastern Sub will score some very heavy precip.

Let's take a look at the UKIE/EURO...

qpf_acc.us_mw.png

qpf_acc.us_mw.png

A teeny tiny cell just tracked to my south and I saw a lone lightning bolt strike. I'm very thankful for the rain I got yesterday which was a healthy amount to soak the vegetation.

Well, today is the beginning of a transition towards less humidity and very comfortable temps as we embark on a long stretch of slightly BN temps through the extended. I'm thrilled to finally be able to turn off the A/C later today and let that machine take a break. Anyone else agree???

No doubt. Des Moines NWS has 70s for highs and 50s dews for next week.
  • Like 1

A teeny tiny cell just tracked to my south and I saw a lone lightning bolt strike.  I'm very thankful for the rain I got yesterday which was a healthy amount to soak the vegetation. 

Well, today is the beginning of a transition towards less humidity and very comfortable temps as we embark on a long stretch of slightly BN temps through the extended.  I'm thrilled to finally be able to turn off the A/C later today and let that machine take a break.  Anyone else agree???

I agree except that also means about no rain chances. Lawns are pretty brown now, but that means no mowing which is kind of nice too.
  • Like 2

It is a rather nice and comfortable morning. The current temperature here at my house is now 67 with mostly clear skies. The low here was 60 and the low at GRR was also 60. Here is a kind of fun fact. While this July is going to end up with a mean temperature well above average. Most of the heat was in the first 10 days of the month. During the first 10 days of July the average H/L here at Grand Rapids was 91.4/67.6 for a mean of 79.7. But between the 10th to the 29th the average H/L has been a more normal 83.4/65.1 for a mean of 74.5 while still warmer than average it still have been more conformable then the first 10 days of the month.

OAX.N0Q.20200730.1139.gifAny OMA folks getting rain from these slow moving cells this morning????

Picked up a half inch of rain early this morning in my backyard, from an isolated cell that dropped an inch plus of rain over downtown Omaha towards Council Bluffs, IA.

We will take it even though we need plenty more still.

• Like 3

Picked up a half inch of rain early this morning in my backyard, from an isolated cell that dropped an inch plus of rain over downtown Omaha towards Council Bluffs, IA.

We will take it even though we need plenty more still.

Any bit counts.!  

• Like 1

I thought it was going to be more pleasant today, but the dewpoint is back up to 70º.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I just found out something that kind of surprised me. And that is we have had now 35 days in a row of 80 or better. Now this has not happened very often here at Grand Rapids. There is a good chance that this month will see all 31 days of 80 or better and that has only happened once and that was in 1955. The longest string of days of 80 or better that I can find was 52 in 1921 (from June 9th to July 30th) in 1988 there were 45 days in a row from July 12th to August 17th and in 1955 there were 42 days in a row from June 27th to August 7th  in 1916 there was a string of 34 days.

@CentralNeb, looks like last night some storms converged near your back yard. Did you score anything?? Gabel??

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=sel9rad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=100&interval=5&year=2020&month=7&day=29&hour=16&minute=0

Prayers were answered. Got about 1” here overnight and more rain has been rotating Northeast to Southwest this morning and it continues. Only temps in low 60’s when a rain band comes through. Absolutely heavenly.

• Like 3

Skies are mostly cloudy w temps in the mid 70s. Dew is noticeable.

April 2024:

Nice cooldown next week w highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s.

Btw: very active Hurricane Season so far. Last time it was this busy was back in 2005. In fact, it was so stirring during that timeframe that they ended up using all names and had to use the "Greek" names to continue naming tropical systems.

• Like 2

April 2024: