July 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Waterloo is getting nailed.  Unfortunately, storms are struggling to pop farther south.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Now the storms are popping farther south.  A tiny cell is giving me a light shower now.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

GFS for the win next week?  The 12z Euro just took a big step back and looks more like the GFS/Canadian in terms of placing the boundary right across KS/IA mid next week allowing storms to form in the same areas that are seeing rains this week.  No longer are the 100's so far north this run.  

Meanwhile, it's advertising some real hydro issues for E IA/S Wisco....

1.png

• Like 2

CR looking better, not so good yet down in Tiffin unless more cells develop.  All I need is one cell to pop up and it could easily drop a half inch in 15 to 20 minutes.  That would be enough to make me happy.  Probably won't happen though.  

Hazy sunshine w temps at 89F and RF at 100F. Radar looks free of storms as of now. Hopefully, my area gets a t'stm, otherwise, tomorrow is widespread storms as a CF approaches.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Nice storm heading for CR.

Looks like it wants to turn east and miss me to the south.  Unreal!

I picked up 0.38" from the first thin band of red that extended northward from the main cell passing south.  Once again, however, there is very tame thunder.

More cells to the sw are trying to lift more northward again.

I'm up to 0.60" after the second tiny blip of red moved through.  The south side of CR down to Amana is really getting it.  Stations have 1-2" in that band.

Bud's house is finally getting a nice cell.

Dubuque is doing well this afternoon.

• Like 2

I just passed the inch mark, still very little thunder.  It is the year without thunder.

Bud's house in Tiffin is getting nailed.

• Like 2

This summer has been weird.  It's been all or nothing with rain.  We've received two separate 3+" events and now this one today that will likely finish near 2" and then almost nothing else at all outside of these 3 rain events.  

• Like 2

1.52" in my gauge.

Tiffin is certainly getting their share.

Sparky got screwed today.

• Like 2

Was interesting to watch an ominous looking cloud rapidly develop into another storm just to my northwest heading for Bud again! Just a few more sprinkles here. Something is trying to form right on top, but to little to late.

• Like 1

Did NE just have its highest amount of severe wx reports last night??? Boy, what a vicious line of storms that swept through the great plains of NE and continues into KS this morning. Hope our members are safe. I'm sure some of them have their power out from those strong straight line winds. There is a laundry list of severe wx reports this morning coming out of NE.

The high rez NAM did a phenominal job advertising this line of storms....

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=sel5rad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=150&interval=5&year=2020&month=7&day=8&hour=21&minute=0

Based on this radar loop, it certainly looks like @CentralNeb got crushed and our other member near Grand Island.

@Gabel, how did you fair?

It was a heck of a line of storms that moved through last night tom! It was amazing watching the roll cloud come over top and the lighting illuminating it! Ended up with 2 inches of rain, there was a lot of damage and unfortunately I’ve heard some fields suffered from hail and green snap.I lucked out my garden sustained the winds!

• Like 3

There are a few other screw holes nw. of C.R. etc. I was just on the edge of development so it’s more more understandable that I barely got anything. July 2019 was terribly dry here and so far it’s going that way again, though there is plenty of time left for more rainfall.

TS "Fay" will hit and Warnings are issued for the NYC Metro area as my city gets ready for an impact w hvy rain n wind :lol:....this is so 2020. 

As for my area, strong to severe storms were a no-show. They decided to stay north/ northwest and hammer those places there.

In the meantime, its 86F w a dew of 72F. Skies are partly to mostly sunny skies.

It was a heck of a line of storms that moved through last night tom! It was amazing watching the roll cloud come over top and the lighting illuminating it! Ended up with 2 inches of rain, there was a lot of damage and unfortunately I’ve heard some fields suffered from hail and green snap.I lucked out my garden sustained the winds!

Awesome!  Glad to hear all went well and your garden got a good drink.  BTW, how is your garden coming along??

• Like 1

The line of storms that swept through last night wasn't nearly as bad as it was for those west of me.  Definitely got a good soaking rain out of it and I'm about to get some more backside moisture as the CF is making its way through the area.  It's warm, muggy, cloudy and damp this morning.  Looking forward to the NW winds that will usher in lower DP's this afternoon amid brisk winds and sunshine!  DP's in the upper 50's will feel sooo good.

Looking ahead into next week, the GFS/GEFS holding onto the idea of a cooler/active pattern comparatively speaking along the I-80 corridor.  You could also add the Canadian/ICON into the mix, as they both are suggesting stronger blocking and much less Heat up this way.  Suddenly, the models are advertising a very active pattern throughout next week with daily storms firing up along the boundary.  This is a Summer pattern most of us will enjoy.

00z GEFS....it's a blessing to see this pattern showing up now on the models when a lot of people (including myself) were preparing for 2012 Heat last week for this week and now next week is looking less HOT and MORE active!  I'll take near 90F rather than near 100F all day.  I think I had enough of 100 degree heat living in AZ the past few months.  The only 100's I wanna see now are the "Benjamins" baby!

gfs-ens_T2maMean_us_4.png

gfs-ens_apcpna_us_2.png

• Like 2

Yesterday, NOAA issued an official "La Nina Watch"...

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/july-2020-enso-update-la-ni%C3%B1a-watch

The continuation of cooler sub surface waters across the eastern equatorial PAC remain in tact...this bodes well for increased chances of a colder winter for the eastern CONUS.  Ya, I know, let's enjoy Summer first....

wkxzteq_anm.gif

Here at my house I record a LOT of rain. In 3 separate rain events I recorded a whopping 3.17" of rain. While the power staying on we did lose the internet last night. That seems to be happening a lot this year so far. At this time the rain has stopped I have a current temperature of 71 with a DP of 69. 

• Like 2

Up to a 6.14” precipitation deficit here in Omaha for the year, moving even more areas of Eastern Nebraska into the abnormally dry and moderate drought category.

Really hoping to score some much needed heavy rainfall and storms tonight... maybe we can finally catch a break here.

If Cedar Rapids can get finally some good rains, maybe we have a chance LOL.

• Like 2