June (July) 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Tim is on the edge this morning

Nah... just having having fun with the crappy weather.   Nothing we can do about it.

Although we still have to decide whether its worth staying here for the weekend.   I hate to miss the first weekend without rain since Mother's Day.    :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Noticed several of my FB friends commenting this morning about how it should be March 2nd not July 2nd with how crappy the weather is.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Noticed several of my FB friends commenting this morning about how it should be March 2nd not July 2nd with how crappy the weather is.

Unfortunately... I know this is not too unusual in early July based on 125 years of local weather data.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12Z GFS looks screwy for the 4th... its shows it being warmer in Seattle than in Portland.     The reason is that it shows low clouds down there and not up here.    Yesterday it was showing low 80s in Portland for the 4th.

gfs-deterministic-washington-t2m-f-max6-

the weather lately has felt a lot like what we see in the winter

arctic blast is always in the 10-14 day range and never gets closer

the beautiful warm weather is always about at that same range

each day i wake up and the rug pull has happened over night

more clouds added, chances of drips

Might be time to make a separate complaining thread.

Mostly cloudy and 59 here after a low of 54. Should be heading into the low 70s today with some afternoon clearing.

Is that the thread where you put all of your posts when it’s been warmer than you like?

12Z GFS looks screwy for the 4th... its shows it being warmer in Seattle than in Portland. The reason is that it shows low clouds down there and not up here. Yesterday it was showing low 80s in Portland for the 4th.

gfs-deterministic-washington-t2m-f-max6-

Yeah, it's showing PDX mostly cloudy even in the late afternoon while it's mostly sunny in the Puget Sound. Have to wait and see what the EURO shows.

cloudcover.us_nw.png

the weather lately has felt a lot like what we see in the winter

arctic blast is always in the 10-14 day range and never gets closer

the beautiful warm weather is always about at that same range

each day i wake up and the rug pull has happened over night

more clouds added, chances of drips

Summer doesn't usually peak in the PNW until late July into early August and then you got the whole month of August to get warm/hot weather. It can also get pretty warm in September. A long stretch of warm and sunny weather will eventually come.

• Like 2

*Major* record low set. In July! 32 this morning breaking the record of 35 set on 07/02/1966.

It's rare to have mid-summer records broken.

• Like 9

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

First 1/3 of the month looks solidly cool at this point. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

If a warm up is gonna happen, I think the 15th-25th has the most potential. Could see a CCKW/pseudo MJO over the Pacific/warm pool around that timeframe, which opens up more dynamic pathways to +PNA.

Wouldn’t be long lasting, though.

• Like 2

Strong wind and drizzle for the 3rd day in a row.

The wind has been roaring here since Tuesday. The wind observations at SEA also look like November since Tuesday. Constant gusty S and SW winds. Can't remember so much sustained wind like this in the summer. Its honestly felt more like winter here.

Rubbing it in, aren’t ya?

Driving back to the swamp tomorrow. Would love some of that North Bend weather.

• Like 1

The 2016 analog has been thrown out there. It had an average July but then a hot August. I could see around average but I doubt we see a cool month.

If a cool August were to happen, this would be the year to do it.

The west-Pacific has been shut down completely thus far. Low-pass signal for subsidence right over the longitudinal band that would produce a hot western summer if convection were there.

• Like 1

If a warm up is gonna happen, I think the 15th-25th has the most potential. Could see a CCKW/pseudo MJO over the Pacific/warm pool around that timeframe, which opens up more dynamic pathways to +PNA.

Wouldn’t be long lasting, though.

Wasn't there supposed to be a big hot stretch in June?

A forum for the end of the world.

If a cool August were to happen, this would be the year to do it.

The west-Pacific has been shut down completely thus far. Low-pass signal for subsidence right over the longitudinal band that would produce a hot western summer if convection were there.

No ice box August call yet from Dewey....

A forum for the end of the world.

*Major* record low set. In July! 32 this morning breaking the record of 35 set on 07/02/1966.

It's rare to have mid-summer records broken.

You love to see it.

• Like 2

The call was always for late June. It was easily the warmest stretch of the month. The Portland area had six 80+ degree days between the 18th-26th, topping out in the low to mid 90s on the 23rd.

There was a transient warm stretch, right around the time you’d expect it.

Never thought it would be a warm/hot month, though.

• Like 1

Medford was a whole degree below average last month, and I think I was around avg.

Having a cool June/July grouping wouldn't be so much like 2016, where the only average one was July. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Brrrr, congrats!

What's the all-time record low for July at K-Falls?

I forgot what it was, someone here can look it up. 

Funny that I actually needed to use my central heating before the sun came up, and then turn it back down because it will be 80 this afternoon.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Summer doesn't usually peak in the PNW until late July into early August and then you got the whole month of August to get warm/hot weather. It can also get pretty warm in September. A long stretch of warm and sunny weather will eventually come.

There have been quite a few years PDX gets heat in early September, 90's even.

And over on the east sides it can be one of our driest months of the year if there is no convection (Sep can be hit-and-miss for t'storms here).

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Another delightful day here in the Arlington tundra.  Haven't seen the sun for days.  Thank goodness July is the last month of our six month stretch of spring.  55F but not raining, .55" precip so far for July and 39,40" for the year.  

Another delightful day here in the Arlington tundra. Haven't seen the sun for days. Thank goodness July is the last month of our six month stretch of spring. 55F but not raining, .55" precip so far for July and 39,40" for the year.

I’m beating you for the month!!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

It was actually partly sunny earlier this morning when I woke up...clouds have thickened up though...think some more drizzle is coming shortly. Last year July 2nd was also pretty gloomy....60/57 spread with 0.10” 1 year ago today. 58 currently.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Another delightful day here in the Arlington tundra. Haven't seen the sun for days. Thank goodness July is the last month of our six month stretch of spring. 55F but not raining, .55" precip so far for July and 39,40" for the year.

I don’t see why people can’t just roll with some coolish early summer weather, especially considering the last several years of unprecedented blowtorches. Obviously things were going to flip back a little at some point. But it’s unlikely we see a coolish stretch of years that will ever rival the stretch of warm seasons we have seen recently, in terms of anomalousness. In fact I would still say there’s a better than bad chance this summer as a whole ends up warmer than average, despite all the belllyaching. Seems really irrational.

Guess I just shouldn’t let it bother me.

• Like 2

I don’t see why people can’t just roll with some coolish early summer weather, especially considering the last several years of unprecedented blowtorches. Obviously things were going to flip back a little at some point. But it’s unlikely we see a coolish stretch of years that will ever rival the stretch of warm seasons we have seen recently, in terms of anomalousness. In fact I would still say there’s a better than bad chance this summer as a whole ends up warmer than average, despite all the belllyaching. Seems really irrational.

Guess I just shouldn’t let it bother me.

When it feels like November in July... people are going to complain. Regardless of what happened in past years or if its perfectly normal to have periods like this in the summer. Its been downright miserable and summer is short enough up here. It is what it is. Complaining does not change it but its a way of venting.