June (July) 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Good to know! Glad you were able to experience back to back 100 degree heat then.

Feels great!  My parents had a A-Frame built on the back of their house back in the 70s.  That’s currently my room.  No a/c but I got a fan.  Kept blinds shut and currently temp inside is 83*.  Not bad. 

• Like 1

Looks like the PDX heat index never surpassed 95°F despite all the hubbub. Probably didn’t need the heat advisory, in hindsight.

Officially another scorching summer. Maybe next year.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

You missed one. Today was the 9th.

Yup. Took me forever to see that I typed it wrong. Double digit 90s tomorrow and we are definitely in the very dry season. This last week of July and first week of August are almost always brutal.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

You can see smoke on the visible satellite over Oregon this morning... looks like it will be shunted east later today with a weak trough coming through.   But I assume it will be back by Wednesday or Thursday.

trc1_int_f18.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You can see smoke on the visible satellite over Oregon this morning... looks like it will be shunted east later today with a weak trough coming through. But I assume it will be back by Wednesday or Thursday.

trc1_int_f18.png

Hopefully not bro. In 2019 the lack of wildfires out there dramatically improved the air quality out this way. Record number of code greens.

That disgusting s**t gets lofted into the prevailing winds and is advected across the country in no time at all.

Hopefully not bro. In 2019 the lack of wildfires out there dramatically improved the air quality out this way. Record number of code greens.

That disgusting s**t gets lofted into the prevailing winds and is advected across the country in no time at all.

It sucks.

But its also a natural phenomenon... part of climo and the natural ecosystem of the West.     I suspect wildfire smoke was a normal summer thing over there long before people arrived.     I remember reading journals from Fort Snelling in Minnesota from the 1830s and 1840s and they talked about long periods of dark, smoky skies.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Temp was still bouncing between 70-74 last night when I went to bed around midnight. Woke up to around 64-65 outside this morning.  I got that whole house window fan installed and its pretty amazing.  In the past with several windows open and 3 window fans we could only achieve a 5-7 deg. delta between outside and inside, now we are getting it down to a 1-2 deg delta.  

Now for some cooler thoughts for the cold lovers.  I heard an interesting perspective on the weather over the weekend from a good friend of mine who lives on several acres out in the county, he has 8 kids, and is very focused on being self sufficient, (heats his house primarily by wood, and he grows/raises a lot of his family's food.)

He said that he has heard old farmer's lore that the a big yield from the fruit/berry crops *usually* precedes a hard winter.  He said his fruit/berry yield this summer is off the charts, and he does not water/fertilize, anything like that.  He just takes whatever nature gives him.  His work has him out in forests/fields all over Whatcom/Skagit county, and he has learned to recognize other signs over the years.  He went on to tell me he came across some good solid oak firewood and snatched it up, buying a couple extra chords in the process.

Of course time will tell, but I love hearing stories about how mother nature gives us subtle cues as to what the weather will probably do.

• Like 3

Temp was still bouncing between 70-74 last night when I went to bed around midnight. Woke up to around 64-65 outside this morning.  I got that whole house window fan installed and its pretty amazing.  In the past with several windows open and 3 window fans we could only achieve a 5-7 deg. delta between outside and inside, now we are getting it down to a 1-2 deg delta.  

Now for some cooler thoughts for the cold lovers.  I heard an interesting perspective on the weather over the weekend from a good friend of mine who lives on several acres out in the county, he has 8 kids, and is very focused on being self sufficient, (heats his house primarily by wood, and he grows/raises a lot of his family's food.)

He said that he has heard old farmer's lore that the a big yield from the fruit/berry crops *usually* precedes a hard winter.  He said his fruit/berry yield this summer is off the charts, and he does not water/fertilize, anything like that.  He just takes whatever nature gives him.  His work has him out in forests/fields all over Whatcom/Skagit county, and he has learned to recognize other signs over the years.  He went on to tell me he came across some good solid oak firewood and snatched it up, buying a couple extra chords in the process.

Of course time will tell, but I love hearing stories about how mother nature gives us subtle cues as to what the weather will probably do.

I was out on Anderson Island this weekend and the salal and huckleberries were fruiting everywhere in the parks. Blackberries aren’t quite there yet. Hopefully it is a good sign for winter. Honestly especially south of Seattle it wouldn’t be hard to beat last winter statistically it wasn’t too impressive. Should be better this year.
  • Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I was out on Anderson Island this weekend and the salal and huckleberries were fruiting everywhere in the parks. Blackberries aren’t quite there yet. Hopefully it is a good sign for winter. Honestly especially south of Seattle it wouldn’t be hard to beat last winter statistically it wasn’t too impressive. Should be better this year.

Yeah it’s gonna be pretty tough to be worse than last winter here. We paid dearly for 2/25/19.

We made it down to 56F here in Springfield. Talk about a wild temp swing.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I wouldn't be so sure, Thursday has been trending hotter than what we saw this past Monday.

It’ll probably be close. I have a feeling we will see some mid and high level cloud moving up in that southerly flow. Tough to hit 90 here if it’s even partly cloudy

Yeah it’s gonna be pretty tough to be worse than last winter here. We paid dearly for 2/25/19.

We made it down to 56F here in Springfield. Talk about a wild temp swing.

45 degrees swing roughly? Pretty impressive. That’s one thing about living near the sound...doesn’t get too cold at night or too hot during the day...so our durinal swings aren’t very significant compared to other places. Most I’ve seen in a day was 35 degrees. Few miles down the road from here it can be 3-5 degrees hotter in the day and 3-5 degrees cooler at night. Jginmartini had a 96/56 yesterday and just a 86/61 here.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0