The Weather Forums

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wanted to share that we had our little Luke born yesterday at 10:32AM. 9 lbs, 7 oz. Healthy baby, healthy momma. So happy.

Drizzle sunset paid off  .01 in the bucket and this beautiful rainbow tonight 

Absolutely beautiful shot of the NEOWISE comet over Mt. Rainier and some blue noctilucent clouds on the horizon.  

Posted Images

Not a bad day over at Lake Cushman.  Drove through a lot of drizzle earlier but once I got up near Shelton everything broke apart.  Never did get any measurable rainfall in Federal Way although when I arrived home it was dripping but not even getting the pavement wet. 
66/54 currently 62*

here is a little teaser shot of the lake.  Will post the rest of the shots in the outdoor thread.  The colors of the water were amazing when I got into the shallower places!!!

56E400FA-C152-4F97-B748-E3AF5AA50CAE.jpeg

• Like 5

Not a bad day over at Lake Cushman. Drove through a lot of drizzle earlier but once I got up near Shelton everything broke apart. Never did get any measurable rainfall in Federal Way although when I arrived home it was dripping but not even getting the pavement wet.

66/54 currently 62*

here is a little teaser shot of the lake. Will post the rest of the shots in the outdoor thread. The colors of the water were amazing when I got into the shallower places!!!

Gorgeous pic.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

June Gloom continues into July. Ridges are not a common occurrence for the PNW any time of the year.

Yet from February to May the West Coast is constantly under a Rex Block where the PNW gets warm and sunny weather while southern California takes on a climate similar to the Faroe Islands or SE Alaska.

Weird.

• Like 1

Sounds like good weather.

Dreading returning home to this trash.

STH1HzK.png

That 109/88 has to be some record if it verifies.

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

Dry down this way still. At least June finished a couple tenths above normal precip. Was +1.9F on the month.

I finished 149% of normal rainfall and +1.6F for June.

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

High of just 64 here today, with mostly cloudy skies and light showers at times. A few sunbreaks thrown in too. Picked up .07” in showers.

Today’s 64/54 spread is easily my coolest July OR August day since 7/2/10. So almost ten years to the day.

• Downvote 1

Weird year.

ECMWF shows rain from Seattle northward for the next 2 days and some spotty rain up there on Saturday.    Sunday might be totally dry before rain possibly arrives late Monday.

What is pleasant for Portland is often gloomy up here.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

ECMWF shows rain from Seattle northward for the next 2 days and some spotty rain up there on Saturday. Sunday might be totally dry before rain possibly arrives late Monday.

Sounds quite vomit worthy.

ECMWF shows rain from Seattle northward for the next 2 days and some spotty rain up there on Saturday.    Sunday might be totally dry before rain possibly arrives late Monday.

PDX and SEA each had highs of 66 today. PDX with 0.02" and SEA with 0.01".

• Like 1

PDX and SEA each had highs of 66 today. PDX with 0.02" and SEA with 0.01".

Yes... I did not say today.    And today was gloomy for the Seattle area regardless of the rain total at SEA.

Jesse is absolutely right that it looks extremely pleasant down there for the next 5-7 days.

Here is tomorrow... notice SEA and PDX should be dry but not for many of us up here.   

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip-12

And here is Friday... same story from Seattle northward.

And then Saturday... this day has been trending wetter so it might not be dry on the 4th.

Yes... I did not say today.    And today was gloomy for the Seattle regardless of the rain total at SEA.

Jesse is absolutely right that it looks extremely pleasant down there for the next 5-7 days.

Here is tomorrow... notice SEA and PDX should be dry but not for many of us up here.   

And here is Friday... same story from Seattle northward.

And then Saturday... this day has been trending wetter so it might not be dry on the 4th.

Snohomish County north can have fairly different tendencies in the summer and be far clammier than the rest of the region much closer to I-5. I would reject the notion that King County and points southward (where the majority of people live) has dramatically different summer weather. 

Snohomish County north can have fairly different tendencies in the summer and be far clammier than the rest of the region much closer to I-5. I would reject the notion that King County and points southward (where the majority of people live) has dramatically different summer weather. 

Probably a fair assessment.

Omg some drizzle

• Like 3

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 14.69"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

I’m starting to wonder if we’re going to end up with a backloaded summer like 2011 or 2012. We will see though no way of knowing just a guess.

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Cold season rainfall-10.14”

Snowfall-0.0”

I’m starting to wonder if we’re going to end up with a backloaded summer like 2011 or 2012. We will see though no way of knowing just a guess.

Maybe, though Oregon department of agriculture is going for a cooler than normal September.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 14.69"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

It sort of feels that way now. 

2012 turned around right about now and then was absolutely gorgeous through September.    In 2011, the first 11 days of July were beautiful (83 here on the 4th) and then there was a few days with rain around the middle of the month.   But it was generally dry and nice from July-Sept that year.

Maybe, though Oregon department of agriculture is going for a cooler than normal September.

Seemed like both of those years summer just got off to a really late start kinda similar to this year so far and then the main dry warm weather was in August and September. Both were nice summers without too much heat but the second half of the 2012 summer all the way into early October was extremely dry.

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Snowfall-0.0”

My gut feeling is that we see the warmest September in at least a few years this fall. We have gotten off the hook for awhile now with mostly averagish ones since 2014’s record warm Sept.

• Downvote 1

2012 turned around right about now and then was absolutely gorgeous through September.    In 2011, the first 11 days of July were beautiful (83 here on the 4th) and then there was a few days with rain around the middle of the month.   But it was generally dry and nice from July-Sept that year.

We had no rainfall at this location from 7/20 all the way until 9/20. Then only 0.03” from 9/20 until 10/12. That was insanely dry. Of course it rained a pretty decent amount after that.

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Snowfall-0.0”

My gut feeling is that we see the warmest September in at least a few years this fall. We have gotten off the hook for awhile now with mostly averagish ones since 2014’s record warm Sept.

Yellow Jackets will rejoice 

Maybe we get lucky and have a repeat of last year! Last September was one of the best convective months I’ve seen here in Tacoma. Probably the best thunderstorm I’ve ever seen on 9/7 too.

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Snowfall-0.0”

But I also find it prudent to mention Andrew that with a building Niña all bets are OFF.

Isn’t it back to neutral now?

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 20 (Most recent: Dec 2, 2020)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 1 (Most recent: Nov 21)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

Maybe we get lucky and have a repeat of last year! Last September was one of the best convective months I’ve seen here in Tacoma. Probably the best thunderstorm I’ve ever seen on 9/7 too.

Last September was interesting. A very warm and muggy start with record warm nights in Portland, then an historically cold finish with PDX scoring a November-esque 52/39 spread on the 29th/30th.

• Downvote 1

We had no rainfall at this location from 7/20 all the way until 9/20. Then only 0.03” from 9/20 until 10/12. That was insanely dry. Of course it rained a pretty decent amount after that.

There was measurable rain here on just 5 days from July 1 - October 11, 2012.

There was rain here on 47 days in 2019 in the same time period.   

Normally there would be 24 days with rain here in that period.    Last year was about as unusual as 2012 in that time frame... except the other way.

Three of the last five Septembers were below normal at OLM, and one was average. Haven't had a top 5 warm September since 1995.

Due.

Low. Solar.

Isn’t it back to neutral now?

Just got to neutral again... but I think the next dip is about to start.

nino34.png

May/June was also much cooler in 2011 and 2012 than this year.

Low. Solar.

May/June was also much cooler in 2011 and 2012 than this year.

Yes... I was referring more to rain.

Interestingly... 2020 just passed 2011 at SEA and for the 11th wettest January-June period there.    

That 109/88 has to be some record if it verifies.

Yeah, official record is 106°. It’s difficult to hit 100°F in the DC area due to the elevated humidity. Mid/upper 90s happens several times per week, though. Tight threshold.

Lows in the 80s are more common than highs > 100°F.

• Like 1

Last September was interesting. A very warm and muggy start with record warm nights in Portland, then an historically cold finish with PDX scoring a November-esque 52/39 spread on the 29th/30th.

We had a 53/47 spread on 9/29...57/41 on 9/30. I went up to chinook pass on 9/28 to catch the first snow of the year this fall it was a pretty chilly airmass.

D9E6CD1F-0265-45B1-B4CD-6FD793A31787.jpeg

C3C4DB98-5D14-4E61-B793-D0A6EEFF9C4F.jpeg

• Like 1

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Snowfall-0.0”

00Z GFS looking more like the ECMWF for Friday... trending wetter and cooler from Seattle northward.

@Phil and others.

NOAA is predicting a below avg July you buy it?

Yes. But a warm stretch is possible during the 3rd week of the month, I think.

• Like 1

GFS guidance is probably not the best... but it shows around 78 on Saturday and 80 on Sunday in Seattle.

I was trying to get a gauge on it because I never look at it... and yesterday it showed 66 in Seattle for today and that was correct.   Still... I think it runs too warm most of the time.

GFS guidance is probably not the best... but it shows around 78 on Saturday and 80 on Sunday in Seattle.

I was trying to get a gauge on it because I never look at it... and yesterday it showed 66 in Seattle for today and that was correct. Still... I think it runs too warm most of the time.

When is your cancellation deadline?