The Weather Forums

PDX is up to 18.09” YTD which is only about an inch below average.

HIO is at 15.58” YTD which is 5” below average.

Strong Northern Oregon Coast rain shadow so far this year.

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wanted to share that we had our little Luke born yesterday at 10:32AM. 9 lbs, 7 oz. Healthy baby, healthy momma. So happy.

Drizzle sunset paid off  .01 in the bucket and this beautiful rainbow tonight 

Absolutely beautiful shot of the NEOWISE comet over Mt. Rainier and some blue noctilucent clouds on the horizon.  

Posted Images

When is your cancellation deadline?

Tomorrow evening.   

Although the hotels were not totally booked so we can probably cancel and still go if we change our mind.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just want to mention. May and June 2011 and 12 were worlds cooler than this year. After the past 7-8 years this June only SEEMED cool.

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 14.69"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

Yes... I did not say today. And today was gloomy for the Seattle area regardless of the rain total at SEA.

Jesse is absolutely right that it looks extremely pleasant down there for the next 5-7 days.

Here is tomorrow... notice SEA and PDX should be dry but not for many of us up here.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip-12

And here is Friday... same story from Seattle northward.

And then Saturday... this day has been trending wetter so it might not be dry on the 4th.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. You’re fine up there but down here we are still in a drought. Need the jet to focus down in Oregon instead of further up north

Just want to mention. May and June 2011 and 12 were worlds cooler than this year. After the past 7-8 years this June only SEEMED cool.

I don't think it seemed that cool in June...there was some fairly humid periods as well. 

Its more about days with rain and there were quite a bit more of those than usual.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. You’re fine up there but down here we are still in a drought. Need the jet to focus down in Oregon instead of further up north

I am less worried about drought up here than a Cat 5 hurricane making a direct hit.    

The past few months April, May, June have all been warm, chances of a cool month are likely

June was pretty close to average, especially where you live out by Troutdale.

9671C265-9A26-443C-8BE0-6C01901BAB35.png

• Downvote 1

Can’t wait to see the reaction in here when the real deal happens. A multiyear niña regime is slowly building. Going to happen sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

Can’t wait to see the reaction in here when the real deal happens. A multiyear niña regime is slowly building. Going to happen sooner rather than later.

I can only hope we have a July-Sept this year like the Nina year of 2011.

That period in 2011 was far drier here than in 2019 as well.

At the North Bend weather station:

July - Sept 2011 - 2.99 inches

July - Sept 2019 - 15.72 inches

Just a bit different in the Nina year of 2011.

How much of the rain last year was in September?

2011 wasn't a developing Nina of course.

First year Ninas don't show any overwhelming tendency towards hot late summers. 

How much of the rain last year was in September?

2 inches in July... 3 inches in August... and 10 inches in September.

But it also rained on 25 days in July and August last year which is way more than usual.      It rained on just 6 days total in July and August of 2011.    Huge difference.   I would take July-Sept of 2011 again in a heartbeat.    

2011 wasn't a developing Nina of course.

First year Ninas don't show any overwhelming tendency towards hot late summers.

True... first year Ninas are the worst for summer weather overall.

Record low max yesterday was actually 64. Today is much lower, 60, but they were at least in range.

Good start if we are going to get a cool month but Phil says it could get warm during the 3rd week

Although the summer of 1998 was a pretty dramatic example of a Nina developing summer and the July - Sept period here was absolutely spectacular after a miserable 4th of July.     It rained on only 8 days from July 5th through the end of September.  

Of course it was 62 degrees and raining on the 4th in 1998... much like today.

Good start if we are going to get a cool month but Phil says it could get warm during the 3rd week

First 1/3 of the month looks solidly cool at this point. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

2 inches in July... 3 inches in August... and 10 inches in September.

But it also rained on 25 days in July and August last year which is way more than usual. It rained on just 6 days total in July and August of 2011. Huge difference. I would take July-Sept of 2011 again in a heartbeat.

It rained 2.03 inches in Portland last July/August. I wouldn’t have guessed you got 5 inches those months, I figured most was in September that’s why I asked

Although the summer of 1998 was a pretty dramatic example of a Nina developing summer and the July - Sept period here was absolutely spectacular after a miserable 4th of July.     It rained on only 8 days from July 5th through the end of September.  

Of course it was 62 degrees and raining on the 4th in 1998... much like today.

Yeah, 1998 was far from a cool summer. Of course there was a fair bit of super Nino lag and a lot of stored heat in the Pacific still. 

It rained 2.03 inches in Portland last July/August. I wouldn’t have guessed you got 5 inches those months, I figured most was in September that’s why I asked

2 inches in Portland and 5 inches here is about the standard ratio.

In August of 2015 we had over 6 inches of rain which was about 250% of normal but it all came on 3 days. Not all wet months are created equal.

Last July and August we spread out 5 inches of rain over 25 days. That is very unusual even for here.

Yeah, 1998 was far from a cool summer. Of course there was a fair bit of super Nino lag and a lot of stored heat in the Pacific still. 

Probably part of the reason it was not so bad.    

In the 'summer of a developing Nina' list you also have such gems as 1954, 1964, and 1983.    :rolleyes:

1988 was also really nice here after a crappy 4th of July... but the rain returned big time that year in mid-September.

2 inches in Portland and 5 inches here is about the standard ratio.

In August of 2015 we had over 6 inches of rain which was about 250% of normal but it all came on 3 days. Not all wet months are created equal.

Last July and August we spread out 5 inches of rain over 25 days. That is very unusual even for here.

I need to keep in mind next time you live in the foothills. 25 days is a lot, are you counting the days with trace precipitation? I know in Portland we had a bunch of trace days last summer

I need to keep in mind next time you live in the foothills. 25 days is a lot, are you counting the days with trace precipitation? I know in Portland we had a bunch of trace days last summer

Days with measurable rain (.01 or greater).    Normal for this area in July and August combined is 12 or 13 days (depending on elevation).    

So the 25 days last year in that period was double the normal number... and it felt like it.    Most of those days were not sunny with a passing shower... they were cloudy and damp.

Be nice if we could discuss something interesting for once.

You can discuss whatever you want.   People are asking me questions and I more than happy to engage in conversation.

Just throwing it out there that it’s a no no for the same member to have two accounts. I think Josh ran afoul of that a few times last winter.

• Downvote 1

Just throwing it out there that it’s a no no for the same member to have two accounts. I think Josh ran afoul of that a few times last winter.

Wait... Josh is George?

00z ensembles looking generally cooler than average the next 7-10 days. Not very wet though, which is to be expected this time of year.

0BF630C6-F469-4ECA-AEB6-4DA3AC93CCDC.png

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Not a half bad night out. Down to 57 and getting some breaks in the clouds, and some glimpses of the almost full moon.

• Downvote 1

Days with measurable rain (.01 or greater). Normal for this area in July and August combined is 12 or 13 days (depending on elevation).

So the 25 days last year in that period was double the normal number... and it felt like it. Most of those days were not sunny with a passing shower... they were cloudy and damp.

Okay nice

I’ll reserve judgement for now. But something there just isn’t passing the smell test for me. The revelation that they are “friends” doesn’t have me feeling any worse about my hunch.

Do you have a smell test diagram for this?

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 20 (Most recent: Dec 2, 2020)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 1 (Most recent: Nov 21)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

Down to 54F. Nice night.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 20 (Most recent: Dec 2, 2020)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 1 (Most recent: Nov 21)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

Strong wind and drizzle for the 3rd day in a row.

The wind has been roaring here since Tuesday. The wind observations at SEA also look like November since Tuesday. Constant gusty S and SW winds. Can't remember so much sustained wind like this in the summer. Its honestly felt more like winter here.

Low of 54, has been pretty breezy here the past couple days as well. No precipitation this morning so far.

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Cold season rainfall-10.14”

Snowfall-0.0”

I’ll reserve judgement for now. But something there just isn’t passing the smell test for me. The revelation that they are “friends” doesn’t have me feeling any worse about my hunch.

Would be hard to believe Josh has any friends.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 14.69"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill!