June (July) 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Looks, feels, and smells like a mid September day...So things are improving!

I could possibly have to water the lawn for the first time since August 2018 by next week. Very concerning. Hard to believe I have water every 2 years.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Perhaps. But he did make that statement about the hottest weather of the summer happening by 7/4. We'll see... could be right!

Could still happen. But that was 2 months ago when he said that.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Up to 66 here!!!!!

70 and sunny here and completely calm. Beautiful on the deck for dinner. That is only possible when its 20 degrees above normal in July. ;)

Pretty incredbile weather.  Low 70s and sunshine in July.  Going to be clear tonight after a failry cool max so we could see 40s for lows.  Incredibly comfortable weather.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Pretty incredbile weather.  Low 70s and sunshine in July.  Going to be clear tonight after a failry cool max so we could see 40s for lows.  Incredibly comfortable weather.

Agreed. Great day. High of 75 here, already down to 71 now with north winds and dropping dewpoints. Could definitely make a run at low 50s here tomorrow morning.

Backpedaling a little bit on this claim?

Not sure yet, because I was speaking in reference to climatology, not absolute temperatures.

IMO, the upcoming period of ridging is likely to be intraseasonal/transient, just like ones in June, even if models are struggling at the moment. That’s pretty typical for model guidance during an intraseasonal wave cycle opposed to the low frequency state.

That being said, June was also troughier than I was expecting (I didn’t foresee early establishment of IPWP/dateline subsidence), so it’s less clear cut now whether summer “peaked” (relative to climo) in May/June, similar to 2016, or if it has yet to do so.

Will probably be a close call either way.

Running an average temp of 60.9 currently only 0.9 degrees warmer than the avg. for all of June. Has been really nice to be cooler than normal in the summer with some sunshine mixed in. Has definitely been a bit cloudier than normal for July but there’s still been some nice days too. Even the most cloudy days have had some sunshine mixed in at one point or another. Would be nice if we could continue this roll of weather all the way into the fall. Maybe a couple quick short lived heat waves and some thunderstorms to make it interesting too.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

At least we’re consistent. You get slightly more rain and lower highs then I do :)

My location definitely seems to get slightly more rain and cooler day time max temperatures. Your house seems to cool off better at night though.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Perhaps. But he did make that statement about the hottest weather of the summer happening by 7/4. We'll see... could be right!

That was poorly contextualized on my part, but note I didn’t explicitly predict the hottest temperatures would occur in June (only that it was a possibility). I wouldn’t ever *predict* that to occur anywhere in the NH.

And contrary to expectations on this forum, I’m not in the warm August camp at all. So long as subsidence holds firm over the IPWP-dateline domain, I’d lean towards a cool August (and warm September assuming a continuation of the present periodicity of the AAM structure(s)).

The problem is, since 1998, WPAC/IPWP forcing has been much more common during the second half of summer, especially during August, and sustaining large scale subsidence in that critical 140E-150W domain has been close to impossible.

This year, unlike the majority, the low frequency system state has featured IPWP/WPAC subsidence, and it’s held very firm thus far. So if there’s to be a cool August absent a healthy/strong niña, this would probably be the year to do it.

All of my preferred indicators and conference calls are pointing to a frigid August.

Great call.   I also predict a record-setting cold August.   Its 100% guaranteed and I am never wrong!  

Anybody see the comet after sunset yet? Or does that start tomorrow?

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope