Winter & Spring 2021 Discussion

Niko

Hope it is acceptable w the mods by starting this topic in July.

I have been hearing lately about a lot of "Polar Vortex" visiting our nation next Winter and a lot more snow for many. Last year it never unleashed its fury, until late Winter and into Spring, where snows were falling in April and in May. This upcoming Winter will be different. Lake Effect snows also will be amazing as well, since there is a lot of warm water available. Upper Midwest will freeze as P.V visits are much more frequent and stronger. Michigan likely to see major snowstorms. Again, it is very early to predict what will happen, but it is looking very good for many. Lets discuss...........

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Thanks Niko!  I was debating on when to fire up this thread but I'm glad you did.  While we are at the mid point of Summer, it's not to early to start thinking about Autumn and cooler thoughts.  Based on what I'm seeing at this range, things are indeed looking much more interesting this season.  Last year, I busted badly and I hope that my intuition for this season is right.  We need that blocking to rock this year!

• Like 2

On 7/15/2020 at 5:59 AM, Tom said:

Thanks Niko!  I was debating on when to fire up this thread but I'm glad you did.  While we are at the mid point of Summer, it's not to early to start thinking about Autumn and cooler thoughts.  Based on what I'm seeing at this range, things are indeed looking much more interesting this season.  Last year, I busted badly and I hope that my intuition for this season is right.  We need that blocking to rock this year!

You bet! B4 ya know it, August will be here and the countdown to "Meteorological" Autumn will be upon us. Funny how time flies by.

We all have to bust in our lifetime to learn from our mistakes, so don't let that concern you. In the meantime, looking forward in reading your thoughts on this upcoming, excited "Winter Season."

• Like 1

April 2024:

You bet! B4 ya know it, August will be here and the countdown to "Meteorological" Autumn will be upon us. Funny how time flies

Btw: What the heck happened to our buddies, Jaster and Clinton??!! We need them on here. :wacko:

Clinton probably hibernates in the summer haha

• Like 3

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Hope it is acceptable w the mods by starting this topic in July.

I have been hearing lately about a lot of "Polar Vortex" visiting our nation next Winter and a lot more snow for many. Last year it never unleashed its fury, until late Winter and into Spring, where snows were falling in April and in May. This upcoming Winter will be different. Lake Effect snows also will be amazing as well, since there is a lot of warm water available. Upper Midwest will freeze as P.V visits are much more frequent and stronger. Michigan likely to see major snowstorms. Again, it is very early to predict what will happen, but it is looking very good for many. Lets discuss...........

Just from looking at the thumbnail, that Winter prediction gives me deja vu feelings. Kind of like that's the same map from last year. And the year before that. And the year before that.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Last winter was a complete bust on the west coast. We are experiencing our 3rd straight much driest than normal water year. With -ENSO emerging it seems likely we will have an active storm season at the very least. The past three winters here have also had essentially nothing in December and January. February and March have been a big more interesting however. 

We are probably due for a wet October-January period more than anything. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

"Alright, Alright, Alright..."...it's that time of year when I start thinking about "cooler" thoughts and the Autumn season ahead along with a glimpse at what the models are showing for the upcoming cold season.  Is anyone else thinking the same???  While we are enduring what most of us can say are the "dog days of summer", it won't be long till we are enjoying Labor Day weekend and the unofficial end to Summer.  The question is, will the wx pattern in Sept present the same theme we have seen for several years in a row, whereby summer weather continues into Sept???  Let's see what the models have to say about this.

I looked at the JMA/CFSv2/Euro/UKMET seasonal runs and the common feature from all of them is the development of some sort of ridge out west and across eastern Canada, perhaps near Greenland if you believe the CFSv2.  This such 500mb pattern would "flip the script" of the string of warm to hot Sept's in recent years.  Do I believe them???  Well, my gut says Yes, but then the voice in my head says..."don't fall for it!"  It's interesting to see the majority of the models agree with a very similar 500mb pattern.  What about temps/precip patterns???

The JMA shows this...

Y202007.D0500_gl2.png

Y202007.D0500_gl0.png

The CFSv2 has been rather consistent with the overall pattern and showing near normal temps east of the Rockies, similar to the JMA.  The Euro seasonal is not as cool and holds onto the idea that warmer conditions will prevail, however, with the aforementioned 500mb pattern it is showing I'd be cautious of this scenario.

What about the UKIE???  Well, I don't get access to the individual runs but the public site allows you to see multi-month runs and they show the same signal for a ridge out west and off the coast of eastern Canada.

2cat_20200701_z500_months24_global_deter

Temps...seasonal central, warm west and east....

2cat_20200701_temp2m_months24_global_det

Precip...very wet eastern 2/3rd's of the nation...

2cat_20200701_prec_months24_global_deter

In short, I'm looking forward to seeing the trends in the models over the coming weeks to come.  Will they continue to show consistency as we move along???  I will be pondering on these ideas during the remaining days/weeks of Summer.  Later this week I'll dive deeper into the Autumn season as a whole and what could be a winter season that shall finally have some real deal blocking.

2.png

5.png

4.gif

5.gif

6.gif

6.png

• Like 2

I know it is only July 22nd but today Accuweather came out with their fall outlook. So for what it is worth here is their fall 2020 outlook.

Fall 2020 Highlights:

Northeast, mid-Atlantic, Great Lakes, eastern Ohio Valley – There will be a mix of dry and some wet periods. It will be warm overall, but a quick change in November can bring chilly periods. Fall foliage colors can be good, but delayed by one to two weeks with some early drop in areas due to mid- and late-summer dryness. Tropical moisture can spread along New England coast, especially in October leading to flooding (moderate confidence).

Southeast, Tennessee Valley, Gulf Coast – Tropical impacts can lead to flooding and damaging winds Gulf states and Carolinas; it will be warm and rather humid much of the time, perhaps cooling in late fall with drier weather. Fall foliage in the interior should be good and vibrant, but any storm can bring early drop of leaves (moderate confidence).

Western Ohio Valley, Midwest, northern Plains – Warm overall, perhaps some record warmth in September. A few strong thunderstorm events can occur across the Midwest and Ohio Valley. Harvest looks good in eastern areas with enough dry periods to be on time or early. Some delays are possible from frequent showers in the northern Plains. Fall foliage will be good, but delayed, in eastern and northern areas. Southern areas will be a bit duller due to mid- and late-summer heat and dryness (lower to moderate confidence).

Based on their guess it could be warm and dry this fall season.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, this is looking like a different start to September compared to recent years.  Both the CFSv2/Euro Weeklies showing somewhat of a central or eastern CONUS trough.  Will this be a warm or cool Labor Day weekend this year???

1.png

2.png

• Like 2

The forecasted La Nina is starting to show its face across the the central Pacific ocean.  Colder waters have shown to be up welling first across the eastern PAC, but now more so in the central PAC.

The last 30- days...

ssta_animation_30day_large.gif

Notice the Sub Surface waters in the west PAC have cooled and seemingly appear to be cooling the entire basin....

wkxzteq_anm.gif

With that being said, the majority of the global models are showing a massive area of the central and portions of the southern PAC to cool over the next 30-60 days.  Both the CFS and CanSIPS are in agreement.

glbSSTMonInd2.gif

cansips_ssta_noice_global_2.png

In fact, the CanSIPS is suggesting the La Nina to become a mod/strong central-based Nina by Oct/Nov...???  The trend off this model has been colder and more widespread cooling when comparing to previous runs.  For instance, look at the last 5 runs for December...interesting to say the least.

cansips_ssta_noice_global_3.png

cansips_ssta_noice_global_4.png

1.gif

• Like 2

Hmmmm, this is looking like a different start to September compared to recent years. Both the CFSv2/Euro Weeklies showing somewhat of a central or eastern CONUS trough. Will this be a warm or cool Labor Day weekend this year???

Ooohh.... PLEASE!!

This will be one of the most "classic" and beautiful autumns ever here.

With respect to your 2017 comments in another post, while I do agree with that particular look that day, this next 6 weeks won't be anything like the last 5 years have been. :)

If that map verifies, you folks need to come down to the Ozarks and Boston Mountains this fall. It's going to be phenomenal.

Tree fatigue or stress this year is the lowest on August 1 since probably 2008 in my memory. Very little blemishes or even yellowing on any trees.

• Like 2

Ooohh.... PLEASE!!

This will be one of the most "classic" and beautiful autumns ever here.

With respect to your 2017 comments in another post, while I do agree with that particular look that day, this next 6 weeks won't be anything like the last 5 years have been. :)

If that map verifies, you folks need to come down to the Ozarks and Boston Mountains this fall. It's going to be phenomenal.

Tree fatigue or stress this year is the lowest on August 1 since probably 2008 in my memory. Very little blemishes or even yellowing on any trees.

That sounds like a great idea!  BTW, I only used Aug '17 as an analog for this Summer and not so much for the upcoming Autumn.  Like you said, there is more interesting data that I"m seeing which lead me to believe it will be different.

That sounds like a great idea! BTW, I only used Aug '17 as an analog for this Summer and not so much for the upcoming Autumn. Like you said, there is more interesting data that I"m seeing which lead me to believe it will be different.

Yes sir. I agree with your point in that regard. Spot-on actually.

When was the last mod-strong La Nina?

Did a quick search and it appears to have been in 2017-18 where it reach moderate category (-1.0C)  during NDJ and just below during winter DJF with a 0.9C reading.  I remember that winter was dubbed "Dakota Special".  We lacked the blocking ALL season long.  The PAC NW and N Rockies got pummeled with snow early and often.

https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php

Edit: @OK mentioned 2010-11 as the last borderline mod/strong Nina and it looks like it was.

• Like 2

Did a quick search and it appears to have been in 2017-18 where it reach moderate category (-1.0C) during NDJ and just below during winter DJF with a 0.9C reading. I remember that winter was dubbed "Dakota Special". We lacked the blocking ALL season long. The PAC NW and N Rockies got pummeled with snow early and often.

https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php

Edit: @OK mentioned 2010-11 as the last borderline mod/strong Nina and it looks like it was.

2000-2001 was a cold brutal winter in our area; I know the Great Lakes region did even better! Was that a weak La Niña?

• Like 1

Did a quick search and it appears to have been in 2017-18 where it reach moderate category (-1.0C) during NDJ and just below during winter DJF with a 0.9C reading. I remember that winter was dubbed "Dakota Special". We lacked the blocking ALL season long. The PAC NW and N Rockies got pummeled with snow early and often.

2016-17 was the so called dakota special winter. I remember reading a snow report that Feb from somebody in Wyoming describing that winter as the best powder year ever.

• Like 1

2016-17 was the so called dakota special winter. I remember reading a snow report that Feb from somebody in Wyoming describing that winter as the best powder year ever.

If you're me, Dakota Special has been every year from 2015-2020. Lol. Half-decade of Suckville anywhere not named the Northwest or coastal New England. :lol:

Ahh, yes...I got my years screwed up...thanks for the correction.  That year the ENSO was neutral and remember how warm our winter was bc of that consistent GOA Low.  Back in 2017-18 was the year OMA had a record snowfall if I remember correctly and the Upper MW/GL's did phenomenal.  Every single system literally tracked over head around here.  You guys up north had a banner second half of Winter into Spring.

Ahh, yes...I got my years screwed up...thanks for the correction. That year the ENSO was neutral and remember how warm our winter was bc of that consistent GOA Low. Back in 2017-18 was the year OMA had a record snowfall if I remember correctly and the Upper MW/GL's did phenomenal. Every single system literally tracked over head around here. You guys up north had a banner second half of Winter into Spring.

2018-19 was the awesome Winter for Nebraska. 2017-18 was near average, and lacking any appreciable snowfall.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

2018-19 was the awesome Winter for Nebraska. 2017-18 was near average, and lacking any appreciable snowfall.

Crap, got that one wrong! Seems like all these years blend into one for me bc of all the misses and Low’s tracking right over me. ‘17-‘18 was the Upper Mw/N GL’s year for sure. I remember storm after storm dumpin’ 6-12” and building a flavor. Our member Brian sent pics of a 3’ Base in N Wisco! Crazy times. Let’s get something similar this year but farther south and share the wealth!

Crap, got that one wrong! Seems like all these years blend into one for me bc of all the misses and Low’s tracking right over me. ‘17-‘18 was the Upper Mw/N GL’s year for sure. I remember storm after storm dumpin’ 6-12” and building a flavor. Our member Brian sent pics of a 3’ Base in N Wisco! Crazy times. Let’s get something similar this year but farther south and share the wealth!

I'll take another 2016-17 up here

A 2013-14 Winter pls!!....... and that is an order!! ;)

• Like 1

April 2024:

I'll take another 2016-17 up here

I think you'd be disappointed with 2016-17 overall in Fargo.  November through Mid December was way above normal temps.  Mid December to Mid January was a good stretch of winter temps and snow.  Second half of January was a huge meltdown.  First half of February recovered just enough winter to be satisfying before another meltdown the second half.  Presidents day weekend brought a large rainstorm to the entire region that was pretty much the end of winter.

The dakota special train of cutters dumped snow primarily on central ND (Bismark) from late November through mid January.  But Mid January was the end of that train. 

There was a freak snowstorm mid november that dumped 2 feet of snow in central and ne minnesota, but even that melted due to the warm temps by the end of November.     

• Like 2

Alright, 4th year's a charm. Lol. Give me the reasons this sst map won't produce cold in the only place it can. The CONUS.

cdas-sflux_ssta_relative_global_1 (2).png

Based on what little more I know now about thermodynamics and history, something radical is about to happen.

I like to see the warm waters near Greenland and HOPE it can hold to produce some blocking this season. West-based block would be ideal.

• Like 1

Alright, 4th year's a charm. Lol. Give me the reasons this sst map won't produce cold in the only place it can. The CONUS.

attachicon.gifcdas-sflux_ssta_relative_global_1 (2).png

Based on what little more I know now about thermodynamics and history, something radical is about to happen.

you don't want to know larry cosgroves thoughts as he sees another rotten winter he been hot on the global warming trend as of late.

you don't want to know larry cosgroves thoughts as he sees another rotten winter he been hot on the global warming trend as of late.

I really like that guy a lot and he's been great the last 3 years. Has beaten me flat, no contest if we were competing head to head for a winter forecast.

However, if he's that sold on it already, without reasons or descriptions, I'd say he's wrong. I'd have to read what he's said to understand. You got a link?

I really like that guy a lot and he's been great the last 3 years. Has beaten me flat, no contest if we were competing head to head for a winter forecast.

However, if he's that sold on it already, without reasons or descriptions, I'd say he's wrong. I'd have to read what he's said to understand. You got a link?

he been talking some about it in his weekly news letters he post but you have to sign up to join it .https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/weatheramerica