August 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Such beautiful weather, but it sure is boring around here and very dry still.This was one of the boringest summers and even year so far.  July 2019 also was very dry here, but June and August at least had some good storms last year.

I agree on both terms: First- Most boring Summer, in terms of not vacationing anywhere and being stuck in MI all Summer due to f-covid and Second- weatherwise has been very "Dry N Hot."

• Like 3

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Attm.......70F under mostly cloudy skies. Feels great outside, even though I am working in my homeoffice.

April 2024:

Lots of tree branches fell in my hood back in NY where I go and stay when I visit. Luckily no damage. I also saw some real cool "LIVE" video from my phone while chatting w family members n friends. :D

Btw: Reports of wind gusts between 60 to 80 mph was reported in NYC and the Hampton's

April 2024:

My parents and I are embarking on our road trip today back to AZ through the mountains of Colorado.  My plan is to stop just outside of Denver for the night.  The weather looks superb all the way into Colorado, but there is some concern of inclement weather right around the time I enter the state.

Some models are showing potential for strong cells to develop later this evening around 6:00pm MST...nonetheless, I'm looking forward to driving down the I-80 hwy through the open country of IA and NE.  I'll chime in from time to time.  Take care!

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_18.png

• Like 3

My parents and I are embarking on our road trip today back to AZ through the mountains of Colorado. My plan is to stop just outside of Denver for the night. The weather looks superb all the way into Colorado, but there is some concern of inclement weather right around the time I enter the state.

Some models are showing potential for strong cells to develop later this evening around 6:00pm MST...nonetheless, I'm looking forward to driving down the I-80 hwy through the open country of IA and NE. I'll chime in from time to time. Take care!

Safe travels! When do you come back to Chicago?
  • Like 1

Capping looks like it'll nuke any chance I had at seeing drops today. Friday night looks like my next chance but this sounding for then looks absolutely terrible.

The window for severe weather is going to come to a close soon. Usually the last gasp here takes place in early September.

2020080506_GFS_069_46.79,-96.75_severe_m

SPC actually has me marginal for Friday. Not buying it.

day3otlk_0730.gif

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Had an unexpected thunderstorm around 3 last night. I was so tired though I feel asleep in the middle of it, I see KLNK picked up a quick .40”. The warming trend begins today as we go back in the 80s.

• Like 3

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Cruisin’ through the good ol’ USA continues....

I’m driving through Des Moines at the moment. I feel like stopping by and having a beer with some of our members here in IA. Love seeing the green lush country side and the rolling hills. Skies are overcast with a temp of 73F. It could easily be 93F and humid so I’m certainly enjoying the drive.

I've only ever driven through DSM and stopped for lunch there but I've loved what I've seen of that city. Have a nice rest of your drive.

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Spectacular day outside w temps at 69F and dew at 52F. Very dry air! Skies are partly to mostly sunny skies.

April 2024:

I have a friend who lives in the western part of MI state and he just told me that the surface waters there are very cold. They are in the 40s and 50s. Now, these are dangerous water temps, that's for sure.  Anyone going swimming in that might get a"Cold Shock" to the body or incapacitation or even hypothermia, if in the water for a long time (roughly an hour or so), but, in any case, he told me that from Ludington down to South Haven, waters are extremely chilly. This is all caused by upwelling near the shore.

• Like 1

April 2024:

My parents and I are embarking on our road trip today back to AZ through the mountains of Colorado. My plan is to stop just outside of Denver for the night. The weather looks superb all the way into Colorado, but there is some concern of inclement weather right around the time I enter the state.

Some models are showing potential for strong cells to develop later this evening around 6:00pm MST...nonetheless, I'm looking forward to driving down the I-80 hwy through the open country of IA and NE. I'll chime in from time to time. Take care!

Have fun. Safe travels. You’re driving right through my area.

• Like 1

Approaching Kearney, NE and just drove underneath the Archway. The last time I drove through NE it was early November and the vegetation was dead so it’s nice to see how much greener it is. 84F and sunny.

I’m south of Holdrege/Elm Creek Exit. It is 2 exits west of Kearney. My wife and I, and now my daughter, attended the University of Nebraska at Kearney, UNK.

• Like 1

Well, here we go, I’m fast approaching the severe warned storms in NE CO. These storms look massive on the horizon. I could see two rain shafts. Hope the hail doesn’t happen. The CO prairies look beautiful along with the dark storms clouds contrasting the dry grassy landscape.

• Like 2

Good morning from Brighton, CO!  I am just outside of Denver and the journey continues today up into the mountains.  The plan is to stop by Vail and Aspen today and be a tourist for the day.  Might try and check out a hiking trail if time permits.  On the drive into CO, thankfully, we missed the brunt of the severe warned cell that ripped through Fort Morgan that was out ahead of us.  The lightning show was neat to see as well as the rain shafts.  When we got to our hotel, the car parked next to us had major hail damage and my father asked if that was from today.  Guess what, the poor guy said Yes!  It was terrible, that car was wrecked and Thank Goodness we didn't end up in it.  

Meantime, I'm sipping on my coffee and doing some catch up on work stuff and waiting for the sun to rise here just after 6:00am.  It is a cool 63F.  One thing I noticed around sun set, there was a murky sky.  I thought it was the humidity but it's actually the haze from the wild fires in western CO.  Hopefully they get some moisture around here bc things are really dry in the mountains.

• Like 3

Another cool, crisp morning right at 50°. Some cloud cover is expected today with temps in the mid to upper 70s. Last day of the cooler weather as temps and humidity start trending upward tomorrow.

I hadn't checked this forum yesterday, but noticed I also had a low of 50° yesterday morning which is the lowest of this cool spell.

Saw a few sprinkles this morning. Hoping for some rain in the next week! The ground has big cracks & the lawns are ugly brown. No mowing for awhile now.

• Like 1

Good morning from Brighton, CO! I am just outside of Denver and the journey continues today up into the mountains. The plan is to stop by Vail and Aspen today and be a tourist for the day. Might try and check out a hiking trail if time permits. On the drive into CO, thankfully, we missed the brunt of the severe warned cell that ripped through Fort Morgan that was out ahead of us. The lightning show was neat to see as well as the rain shafts. When we got to our hotel, the car parked next to us had major hail damage and my father asked if that was from today. Guess what, the poor guy said Yes! It was terrible, that car was wrecked and Thank Goodness we didn't end up in it.

Meantime, I'm sipping on my coffee and doing some catch up on work stuff and waiting for the sun to rise here just after 6:00am. It is a cool 63F. One thing I noticed around sun set, there was a murky sky. I thought it was the humidity but it's actually the haze from the wild fires in western CO. Hopefully they get some moisture around here bc things are really dry in the mountains.

I took that same drive last year on our way to Los Angeles. Have fun in the mountains!
  • Like 1

Nice, unexpected pop up thunderstorm dropping some very heavy rain and small hail across the Omaha area. This is a nice surprise!

Looks like it mostly missed my backyard unfortunately, but at my workplace it poured down for about 15-20 minutes which was great to see!

• Like 5

Longer range consensus on the models brings the Heat back for mid to late August for most of the Plains and Great Lakes.  

The epicenter of that heat looks to be over the high plains. I'll probably get fun lower 90s.

Sunny skies and temps in the 60s n dew at 55F. Cant ask for anything better weatherwise for this time of the year!

April 2024:

It gets warmer n more humid as we enter the weekend and into next week as temps approach near 90F.

Ahhhh....September right around the corner! :D

April 2024:

I hadn't checked this forum yesterday, but noticed I also had a low of 50° yesterday morning which is the lowest of this cool spell.

Saw a few sprinkles this morning. Hoping for some rain in the next week! The ground has big cracks & the lawns are ugly brown. No mowing for awhile now.

Actually need to drive north only 2 miles or less to see much greener lawns.

Correction: Had enough rain to wet the sidewalks.

Good morning from Brighton, CO! I am just outside of Denver and the journey continues today up into the mountains. The plan is to stop by Vail and Aspen today and be a tourist for the day. Might try and check out a hiking trail if time permits. On the drive into CO, thankfully, we missed the brunt of the severe warned cell that ripped through Fort Morgan that was out ahead of us. The lightning show was neat to see as well as the rain shafts. When we got to our hotel, the car parked next to us had major hail damage and my father asked if that was from today. Guess what, the poor guy said Yes! It was terrible, that car was wrecked and Thank Goodness we didn't end up in it.

Meantime, I'm sipping on my coffee and doing some catch up on work stuff and waiting for the sun to rise here just after 6:00am. It is a cool 63F. One thing I noticed around sun set, there was a murky sky. I thought it was the humidity but it's actually the haze from the wild fires in western CO. Hopefully they get some moisture around here bc things are really dry in the mountains.

Have fun! I wasn’t in Colorado in around 25 years or since 1995. My sister and brother in law just returned from the Co. mountains early this week. They go on a short vacation out there most summers.

Not sure if i’ld be brave enough but maybe you should try para sailing (not sure if it’s called that) where you run off the edge of the mountain cliff, with a guide of course. Need to schedule ahead of time though.

• Like 1

Managed to pick up about 0.40" of rain from this morning's surprise showers and thunderstorms in my backyard (there was only a 20% chance or rain this morning according to the NWS)... I have seen some posts online that some people in the area picked up 1 to 2 inches of rain this morning.

With the latest drought monitor from this week showing the growing severity of drought conditions in Northeast and East-Central Nebraska into Western and Central Iowa, all of us around here can hopefully see more of these types of rainfall events to keep things from getting any worse, even though this one was localized and not too widespread. 

• Like 4

Good morning from Avon, CO which is just west of Vail.  It is a nippy (50F) and a little breezy here this morning.  It is still dark outside as daylight will take a little longer to appear compared to when I was just outside of Denver yesterday morning due to the mountainous terrain.  I left the patio deck sliding door open and had to close it when I woke up bc it got a wee bit chilly.  Nonetheless, it's been a fun trip so far and I'm looking forward to checking out Aspen later today and then likely down to Durango.

Taking a look into the local reporting stations, some spots have dropped into the low/mid 30's.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCODILLO41

On the way into Avon, we veered off of hwy 70 and stopped into a couple towns that surround a man-made reservoir called Dillon Reservoir.  These places were amazing and exactly what I wanted to experience.  These towns were buzzin' with traffic and packed with people who are your quintessential outdoors adventurers.  The cities were called Silverthorne, Dillon and Frisco.  They all surround this rather large lake and there is so much real estate development ongoing.  Very impressive to see all this construction.  We ended up taking a hike called Sapphire Overlook Trail (https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/sapphire-point-overlook-trail)  One of the most picturesque hikes I've ever took up in the mountains where you have a birds eye view of the lake below at an elevation of close to 10,000 feet!  

Edit: I forgot to mention, there are still snow capped peaks at about 14,000 feet elevation or so.  Nice to see snow on the mountains.  It definitely was a banner winter for CO last winter.

• Like 3

it was another cool early August morning. The low here at my house was 53 the official low at GRR was 55. At this time with clear skies it is 58 here. The first 6 days of August have been more like the first part of September rather than August. This is the coolest start to August since 2013.

Definitely exceeding my expectations, it's been a lightning-filled downpour here for the past 30 minutes. 68*F.

Looking to have a bit of a break then storm development right on top of me at about 21Z. That's where today's hail threat comes in.

• Like 1