August 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

What a wicked line of storms... I knew something big was brewing with this derecho when we got 60-70 MPH wind gusts from just the outflow... no measurable rain to speak of here either.

Just talked to a co-worker who is in Cedar Rapids today and he said things are getting bad there and the power was out at his building. Stay safe out there everyone out to our east, this thing means business!

• Like 1

I just heard from my brother Hawkeye. It’s a war zone! Sustained 55-60 winds for 20 minutes. Some 90-100mph gusts and many 70+. Trees, shrubs down. He lost much of his fence. Garden is destroyed. And it’s continuing unabated. Just amazing.

Wow!!!

Local radio station that is based out of Cedar Rapids lost its sign and I tried to text someone but it wouldn't go through cuz it said no cell service. I assume cell phone towers have been damaged.

I just heard from my brother Hawkeye. It’s a war zone! Sustained 55-60 winds for 20 minutes. Some 90-100mph gusts and many 70+. Trees, shrubs down. He lost much of his fence. Garden is destroyed. And it’s continuing unabated. Just amazing.

Thanks for the update. Is he your blood brother? That’s pretty cool to know if he is. I hope he’s doing alright and it’s sad to hear about his garden and property damage.

• Like 1

Yikes, what a massive disappointment that ended up being here. At least we got some much needed rain, but Dubuque managed to split the worst stuff. A few decent gusts of wind and some decent rain, but that was quite a bust here. Looks like a lot of places south of HWY 20 and in SW Wisconsin made out pretty well, though!

Worst storm I've ever personally been in.  Debris everywhere.  Winds were so strong for so long.  A neighbor's roof partially tore off.  It was a brand new house.  He'd only been in it a week or two.  Thankfully i didn't notice any damage to my place.  

• Like 4

Temp is down to 66 here wow!

When I watched the 10pm news last night I dont recall this type of severe weather or temp drop being in the forecast.

The strenght of these storms prob tugged down some more colder air aloft than originally forecasted. Can you imagine the turbulence and down drafts? Man, this is a fascinating situation. They are saying locally this may be the worst severe set up since 2012.

The strenght of these storms prob tugged down some more colder air aloft than originally forecasted. Can you imagine the turbulence and down drafts? Man, this is a fascinating situation. They are saying locally this may be the worst severe set up since 2012.

Crazy dynamics. Chicago is up next!
  • Like 1

Worst storm I've ever personally been in.  Debris everywhere.  Winds were so strong for so long.  A neighbor's roof partially tore off.  It was a brand new house.  He'd only been in it a week or two.  Thankfully i didn't notice any damage to my place.  

While I am disappointed with what we got, I will say I am glad I missed the worst of it. I didn't really want the worst of it. I just wanted a little more action, but we are getting some decent rain out of it, at least. That is needed real bad. 

• Like 1

Wow! Not good. Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the report.

I’m glad I was spared from the wind but the rainfall was kinda lame. Only around a half inch but I haven’t really checked. My top wind showed only 55 mph at 12:32 pm. Leaves were flying everywhere with some branches down. I must’ve just been on the south side of the high wind as a guy 1 mile northeast had his 45 or 50 ft. tall windmill fold over partway up. Also my friend 1 mile north saw a semi trailer (was parked and not hooked up) nearly blow over. It was on 2 wheels for a bit. Seemed pretty tame here except for the wind that kept blowing for around an hour. Not much lightning either. Probably lots of other damage just north

Just found this

I just came in from the pool and flipped on TWC and saw a video of the footage in CR and it looked like a Hurricane!  I'm worried about this scenario lambasting the entire Chicagoland area.  Last time this happened, there were thousands of cars with hail damage and 100's of thousands without power.

What the heck is going on w these storms! Holy Crap! These suckers mean business. I just saw the radar. Hunker down y'all. Lets see if they can survive the trip to MI. :unsure:

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

In the meantime, its very warm n humid, w hazy sunshine. I'll tell ya, the conditions outside are definitely favorable for severe weather.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Tornado Warning for mby...

Tornado WarningTornado Warning
ILC031-043-102130-
/O.NEW.KLOT.TO.W.0023.200810T2043Z-200810T2130Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Chicago/Romeoville
343 PM CDT Mon Aug 10 2020

The National Weather Service in Chicago has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
Northeastern DuPage County in northeastern Illinois...
Northeastern Cook County in northeastern Illinois...

* Until 430 PM CDT.

* At 342 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located over Elmhurst, moving east at 50 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree
damage is likely.

* This dangerous storm will be near...
Norridge, Elmwood Park, River Forest and River Grove around 350 PM
CDT.
Oak Park, Austin, Dunning, Portage Park, Belmont Cragin, Morton
Grove and Harwood Heights around 355 PM CDT.
Irving Park, West Town, West Ridge, Albany Park, Logan Square,
Humboldt Park and Lincolnwood around 400 PM CDT.
Chicago, Evanston, Lake View, Lincoln Park, Uptown, Rogers Park
and Edgewater around 405 PM CDT.

I’m glad I was spared from the wind but the rainfall was kinda lame. Only around a half inch but I haven’t really checked. My top wind showed only 55 mph at 12:32 pm. Leaves were flying everywhere with some branches down. I must’ve just been on the south side of the high wind as a guy 1 mile northeast had his 45 or 50 ft. tall windmill fold over partway up. Also my friend 1 mile north saw a semi trailer (was parked and not hooked up) nearly blow over. It was on 2 wheels for a bit. Seemed pretty tame here except for the wind that kept blowing for around an hour. Not much lightning either. Probably lots of other damage just north

Update: Saw that my top wind gust was 57 mph later at 1:19 pm then. Just shows how long the winds lasted especially for those just north. Also only 0.53” on my digital gauge. The other gauges all were leaning a bit more with a few hundredths less.

No rain, no wind here at this time. It is getting dark but the storms are still off to the west. It is very warm and humid here at this time the reading at my house is 85 and I have a DP of 72. The last reading at GRR was 84 with a DP of 76. I just double checked my DP and it reads 72.6.

Don't usually post here in the summer but todays winds are worthy. 133000 customers with no power at peak (do the math- that's all of DSM metro and burbs) What got me was that 50 mph winds lasted nearly 20 mins-- the longest duration I've witnessed. Airport peak wind of 75 mph but easily 90mph other places in DSM. Radar image shows 85-105mph just off the ground -- thej time stamp is EDT.117226090_3542878462423928_5285737537664285859_o.jpg

• Like 7

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

My phone and internet are finally working again. Maybe just network congestion, IDK. Just 1 mile north has a lot of cleaning up to do with many 4” - 10” diameter limbs and some trees down. When I saw it coming on radar etc it reminded me of the June 29 1998 derecho that destroyed our big machinery shed, blew out our house windows, etc. That was around 100 mph storm as well but around 20 miles further south.