August 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

I literally don’t believe the videos coming out of Chicago with the 80-100mph winds. Unbelievable.

Got absolutely crushed. Neighborhood looks like a war zone. Trees down everywhere. Lots and lots of damage. Could be without power for days.

Got absolutely crushed. Neighborhood looks like a war zone. Trees down everywhere. Lots and lots of damage. Could be without power for days.

SW burbs got the brunt of the damage or was it widespread in the city as well? Didn’t look like the city (except for north side) that got hit hard. My place back home escaped the worst of it and only have power out.

Possible tornado touched down in Rogers Park in the city??? Now that I looked more on social media, it appears the west side got hit hard. Tons of trees down, cars damaged, windows blown out and power outages continue to climb. 500,000+ without power in Illinois.

Following pic is looking N into the heart of DSM from the ATC tower (where I work). The red light in on the right is Principle Building in downtown. Supposed to be lights all the way between ATC and downtown. Weird out. Good night for the telescope.

IMG_20200810_220140.jpg

• Like 4

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I’m guessing Hawkeye is without power and internet plus a lot of clean up to do!

Here are some velocity screen shots as it surged toward and through eastern Iowa Not quite in order but times are CDT. The darker blue color is around 100 mph and brown probably similar.

7-C8-A409-B-5801-4-B5-F-8-F18-E1-B275519

87-F6-B410-5-BE0-4250-8841-03-A15-C073-B

B70-BA961-4049-4103-A131-26-C15-C5-C82-F

D57-B29-B4-9-C8-E-48-D7-B357-EBBF6-F8-BB

• Like 2

Keeping the appliances running with the generator. Just shut it down for the night. Entire City was under curfew. Hearing it could take a week for some places to get power back. Very eery out there, but had a great view of the stars.

• Like 4

I’m guessing Hawkeye is without power and internet plus a lot of clean up to do!

Here are some velocity screen shots as it surged toward and through eastern Iowa Not quite in order but times are CDT. The blue color is around 100 mph and brown probably similar.

7-C8-A409-B-5801-4-B5-F-8-F18-E1-B275519

87-F6-B410-5-BE0-4250-8841-03-A15-C073-B

B70-BA961-4049-4103-A131-26-C15-C5-C82-F

D57-B29-B4-9-C8-E-48-D7-B357-EBBF6-F8-BB

I remember driving through all those towns down I-80 this past Wednesday. I could only imagine what it looked like as this storm complex barreled through. I recall Iowa City was a college town? Don’t remember exactly but that seemed like a lively and busy city.

• Like 1

This is a major N / S artery on in DSM going to work earlier today at 3:30. A full 4 hours after the event. A lot of work needs to be done and local power company says 2-3 days for most to get power back. I just loaded the freezer with deer meat and crab.

IMG_20200810_153401.jpg

• Like 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I remember driving through all those towns down I-80 this past Wednesday. I could only imagine what it looked like as this storm complex barreled through. I recall Iowa City was a college town? Don’t remember exactly but that seemed like a lively and busy city.

Yes the University of Iowa is here. I get my teeth fixed at the College of Dentistry. Also U of I Hospitals and clinics. You passed close to Bud’s home and I’m around 10 miles south of I-80.

• Like 1

Yes the University of Iowa is here. I get my teeth fixed at the College of Dentistry. Also U of I Hospitals and clinics. You passed close to Bud’s home and I’m around 10 miles south of I-80.

If you were on I-80 just W of DSM about 15 miles-- within 3 miles of my place.

• Like 1

I’m about 1/2 mile north of I-80 near exit 403. Too bad north Lincoln is the slightly ugly part of town!

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Also! Forgot to mention we had debris fly over our building as the storm hit! There was lawn chair seats and a tarp that flew over head. Pretty crazy! I feel for you all in Iowa :( you guys got hit so hard. Hope you’re all okay!! My thoughts are with all of you who have to deal with cleanups, what a nightmare :(

trim.EC19EC68-1DF3-454F-A7F8-B44DB658E9C7.MOV

• Like 3

What a day of weather to start a new work week.  I didn't realize how bad the city got hit till I saw all the footage online.  Here's some more footage of the possible tornado damage near Rodgers Park: https://www.instagram.com/p/CDu_eE6D3dG/?igshid=1iuairu0e61k5

Here's a neat graphic from LOT showing the track of the derecho on radar...

For those who are still without power and may remain without power for at least a couple more days, at least the weather is cooperating today and tomorrow with very comfy DP's and temps hovering around 80F.  Nice cool nights as well with temps in the 50's.  I remember losing power and having to sleep through a very soupy and humid night.  That's the worst!

1.png

• Like 2

Shout out to all the meteorologists and NWS who were tracking this severe wx set up and warning people way in advance.  From their efforts, there were ZERO fatalities in Chicago.  Not sure about other places in NE/IA/S WI, but locally back home no deaths reported.

Some more pictures and vid's of the storm complex....those 2 x 4's were out in IA...the video is from a suburb just west of the city which likely became the tornado.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1292937768394424320

Cedar Rapids, IA:  https://twitter.com/i/status/1292884786130964481

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 4

Some good news in the wx dept if your seeking some cooler weather as the trend in the modeling is showing a rather significant cool shot early next week for many of you.  The EPS has been leading the way with this pattern and GEFS playing catch up.  The aforementioned cool down may have some legs for the eastern Sub leading us into the second half of Aug as Summer slowly comes to a close.

gfs-ens_T2maMean_us_7.png  

• Like 1

My phone service still is intermittent. Maybe the cell towers had damage and it’s not just network congestion. Thanks for the links Tom and whoever. I’m mostly on mobile and also use my phone as a WiFi hotspot for other devices so when my phone doesn’t work I have no internet over half of the time it seems like. I have tons of notifications I wanna check on Twitter yet.

I sure hope it rains more. This rain will last only for a day or so.

• Like 1

My wind gauge clocked an 87 mph gust from this storm. My goal when I moved here was to hear the Chicago tornado sirens. It happened today! Woo! Also there’s a lot of damage — the tornado was reported a few blocks north of my location. Was the best storm ever.

attachicon.giftrim.CDCE58E4-6EE2-47BD-B6F8-2E3383C33F83.MOV

It has been confirmed!

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 3

Another night managing the generator. Still no power around here. Cell service is getting better. It looks like peak wind gust from that line of 112mph was a couple miles to my NW. The damage is unbelievably widespread. Went to multiple parts of town today and all looked the same.

• Like 1

Another night managing the generator. Still no power around here. Cell service is getting better. It looks like peak wind gust from that line of 112mph was a couple miles to my NW. The damage is unbelievably widespread. Went to multiple parts of town today and all looked the same.

Did you do any video footage? I’m curious to see what the aftermath looks like. The videos I saw during the height of the storm were something you see when the eye wall of a Hurricane rips through. I can’t beleive how long lasting the winds were.

Meantime, it's a warm and somewhat muggy morning here in AZ 84F/58F.  In fact, DP's have been rising since yesterday for the southern half of the state as some monsoon moisture is trying to make its way up into the valley but having a very tough time.  I saw some gorgeous anvil cloud tops to my south from storms near the Tucson area.  That's all that I'm getting though here for the time being.  

Unfortunately, we are starting an Excessive Heat Warning tomorrow through Monday!  5-days straight of intense heat with peak temps reaching up to 114-115F near PHX metro Fri-Sun.

• Like 1

I finally got a chance to drive through Cedar Rapids and wow, what a mess.  i'm so thankful that we didn't get it nearly as bad here.  And it was still really bad here, so I can only imagine how bad it was in CR during the storm.  Some areas of town are starting to get power back, which seems incredible considering the amount of power lines still lying on the ground.  Overall though most of the town is without power, internet or cell coverage.  People are driving in miles every direction to find places that have power and gas.  I'm hosting 6 co-workers at my house today just to work and login as they have no power at home and our office is still out of commission.  We're thinking we can go back to the office tomorrow though.  As if 2020 couldn't get any worse or weirder.  

• Like 3

Did you do any video footage? I’m curious to see what the aftermath looks like. The videos I saw during the height of the storm were something you see when the eye wall of a Hurricane rips through. I can’t beleive how long lasting the winds were.

Yes I do have some decent footage before I high tailed it to my safe place. Once I have the means I’ll try to upload. It was like experiencing a hurricane. It just would not stop.

• Like 4

I finally got a chance to drive through Cedar Rapids and wow, what a mess.  i'm so thankful that we didn't get it nearly as bad here.  And it was still really bad here, so I can only imagine how bad it was in CR during the storm.  Some areas of town are starting to get power back, which seems incredible considering the amount of power lines still lying on the ground.  Overall though most of the town is without power, internet or cell coverage.  People are driving in miles every direction to find places that have power and gas.  I'm hosting 6 co-workers at my house today just to work and login as they have no power at home and our office is still out of commission.  We're thinking we can go back to the office tomorrow though.  As if 2020 couldn't get any worse or weirder.  

Your the type of people we need more of in this world.  Lending a helping hand for our fellow neighbors.  Hope it gets better for everyone.

• Like 3

A bunch of people from my community went to CR. today to help clean up. I wanted to go but yesterday I started with a bad sore throat again and feeling pretty crappy today. I just had this type of sickness around 2 months ago with barely detectable episodes of it in between. It sucks and I’m not sure what’s going on. The first time I thought it probably was Covid-19 since others had symptoms, but I don’t know. I’ll have more opportunities to help as some are organizing groups to clean up and rebuild at various places.

• Like 1

Looks like some storms near or over St. Paul Storm. Wish I could get the rainfall they are often receiving!

Meanwhile the drought around here will continue to slowly intensify, as our modest chances for rain this week are continuing to dwindle away (the trend of 2020 weather-wise here). The isolated bouts of heavy rain last week helped out in the short term, however it wasn't prolonged or widespread enough.

The Omaha Eppley Airfield reporting station will pass the 9 inch deficit tomorrow for annual rainfall... last year we were WAY up, this year are WAY down... guess it's how the law of averages works around here anymore.

Still seems absolutely amazing that our area got caught in some of the damaging winds (although nothing like our friends to east in Iowa and Illinois experienced) from Monday's derecho as it started to get its act together, while almost every reporting station in the Omaha metro area reported a trace or less of rainfall. Thankfully the cooler weather on the horizon for next week will help keep things from getting too out of control if we don't get much, if any rainfall over the next few days.  

• Like 1

Got commercial power back here at 1pm today. Power was out 50 hours. Some family members still without power and it's not exactly cool out.

Luci lights, battery packs and Yeti grade coolers saved hundreds of dollars of meat for my self.

Commercial power. Don't take it for granted

• Like 3

The NWS here in PHX issued the Excessive Heat Warning yesterday and it rolls through Monday Tuesday.  I could see them conceivably extend it through the entire week next week if the Euro is right.  My goodness, this would be an oppressive heat wave.  Here is our 7-day forecast....https://www.abc15.com/weather/forecast/todays-forecast/phoenix-arizona-summer-weather-forecast-2020

Nothing but 114-115F temps!  Wowza!

At this time, it is 90F with a 54F DP which makes it feel a tad humid.  High clouds are keeping a blanket on temps here this morning.  I'll tell ya, yesterday I felt every bit of moisture in the air with DP's in the upper 50's.

• Like 2

The JMA weeklies are showing a rather dry and somewhat normal pattern for our Sub the rest of this month after next weeks cooler pattern.

Week 2 temps/precip...

Y202008.D1212_gl2.png

Y202008.D1212_gl2.png

Signs still pointing towards a seasonal open to September....the Euro weeklies have been suggesting a cool shot coming down the Upper MW into the majority of our central Sub towards Labor Day weekend.

Temps...

Y202008.D1212_gl2.png

Precip...looks wetter with the likelihood of a lot of fronts coming down from Canada...

Y202008.D1212_gl0.png

Amazing, the NWS now us upped the amount of Tornado's to 11 for N IL during this derecho event and also increased the winds for the Rogers Park twister which firmly places it into a F-1.  Based on the images and footage I've seen, I think that makes complete sense.

1.jpg