August 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Picked up 0.05” of rainfall last night in my backyard, basically just enough to wet the recently baked ground. It just seems so difficult to get any type of decent or appreciable rainfall around here.

The next 10 days does not hold much hope to stopping the rainfall deficit around here from deepening further. Very thankful for the cooler temps though as the constant 90-100 degree heat was wearing on me.

Same amount of rain here today brings my August total to only 0.59”. My second driest August since 1990, behind only 0.21” in 2013.
  • Like 2

This is an interesting state, ORD received less rainfall this month than PHX!  ORD recorded 0.80" while PHX had 0.90"...yesterday's high of 100F in PHX was the 3rd day of BN temps in a row.  Time to celebrate!  You could def feel the difference even though the humidity was a little uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

Local ABC Twitter going over summer stats.  Kearney NE Airport has not received over 0.50" of rain in a 24 hour period since May 22nd.  One of the driest summers that we have had in this part of the state in a long time.  We are going to need quite a pattern change to bring systems through here.  Unfortunately, September into early October is not traditionally a wet time around here.

• Like 1

For the month of August Grand Rapids had a mean of 72.0 that is a departure of +1.2. The high for the month was 91 on the 24th and 26th the low was 52 on the 19th there was 2.60” of rain fall below the average of 3.59”. At Muskegon the mean was 72.2 that is a departure of +2.3 the high was 91 on the 14th and the low was 49 on the 5th there was 2.22” of rain fall the average there for August is 3.39” At Holland the mean was 71.3 that is a departure of +0.3 the high for the month was 90 on the 14th and the low was 48 on the 19th Holland recorded 2.16” of rain fall with 3.57” being average. At Kalamazoo the mean was 72.5 that is a departure of +1.3 the high for the month was 95 on the 27th and the low for the month was 50 on the 19th they reported 3.08” of rain fall there average rain fall for August is 3.87” and at Lansing the mean was 71.6 that is a departure of +1.8. the high was 92 on the 24th and 27th and the low was 49 on the 19th they recorded 3.45” of rain fall and the is above the average of 3.37 there.  So it was warmer and dryer across west Michigan with only Lansing recorded above average rain fall.

Here are the unofficial climate district August rainfall totals for the Midwest. Southeast Iowa and south central Nebraska were the driest.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/

July amounts appear above normal for Nebraska, but not for Iowa and the eastern corn belt.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?_wait=no&q=24&csector=midwest&var=precip&p=month&year=2020&month=7&sdate=2020%2F06%2F01&edate=2020%2F08%2F31&cmap=BrBG&cmap_r=on&dpi=100&_fmt=png

In August, KFAR saw an average temp of 69.2*F, which was a measly 0.1 below normal. The highest recorded temperature was 90*F on 8/13, which was also our only reading >=90*F of the month. The lowest recorded temperature was 47*F on 8/29. No shortage of precip, we finished 4.16" above normal, which is a +1.6" departure.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

August finished as the driest in over the last 100 years at the airport with about 1/2" of rain. I was a bit luckier and ended up with .83" of rain.

My average low was 64.4 and average high was 87.2 and ended up 1.3 degrees above normal.

Lowest temp was 49.3 on the 4th and highest was 97.7 on the 23rd.

Added another 10 days over 90(including 8 in a row from 8/21-8/28) and set the high for the summer at my house of 97.7 on the 23rd.

I've had a whopping 41 days over 90 this summer so far through the end of August with another one today and 2 more this weekend.

Had just the 5th watch box issued for Omaha this month and the first warning for severe storms.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Crazy stat on the derecho- About 8% of 2020's lightning ( in IA)  occurred during the derecho-- though the yearly total was only 48% of normal, still an unreal stat. Image

• Like 4
  • scream 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.