The Weather Forums

August 2020 Observations and Discussion

Europe under a major heatwave. London, where my cousin lives, told me just recently, that they broke all time record high of 100F. Others cities, such as Paris, Rome, Madrid, just to name a few, are breaking records as well. Surprisingly, Athens, Greece is only in the 90s.

Sounds like the heat is all displaced over Europe this year instead of here and Russia.

• Like 1
  • Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't usually post here in the summer but todays winds are worthy. 133000 customers with no power at peak (do the math- that's all of DSM metro and burbs) What got me was that 50 mph winds lasted near

I had to rub my eyes when I saw these temps for the opening days of September...@CentralNeb, the Euro is making your wish come true...daytime highs in the 60's???  @Fargo, your gonna feel the Autumn c

Hello from the Black hills of South Dakota! Never been here before and up here with the in-laws; what a geologic wonder! Took a train today from Hill City to Keystone and the outcrop of limestone and

Posted Images

Waking up this morning has that "Autumnal Feel" to it with gusty NNE winds off the lake and a cool 66F.  The sounds of water droplets falling off the trees onto my deck reminds me of a wet/cool autumn day.  I actually brought out my hoodie for the first time as its sorta chilly and I'm sure I'll be using it the next couple mornings.

It's been one of those amazing seasons that have been filled with Rainbows.  Our own Barry Butler took this beautiful shot of a double rainbow yesterday.

1.jpg

• Like 5

We had some impressive late day storms that dumped heavy rainfall in parts of the metro and surrounding areas.

2.53” CHI- United Center/Near West Side
1.68” CHI- West Town
1.51”CHI- West Loop
1.23” Crete
1.07”CHI-Ukrainian Village
1.07” CHI-Sox Park
There was a heavy but brief shower here yesterday at 730 PM that dropped 0.15" of rain in about 20 minutes. What made this shower even more different was that during most of the time the sun was out. I looked for a rainbow after the shower and there was one but it was not a real good one. At this time it is cloudy and 63 here at my house.

Got down to 51°F at my place this morning.

• Like 2

>1" Snowfalls for Fargo-Hector Int'l Airport in 2020-21: 10/20 (4.2"), 10/22 (2.7"),

Total Snowfall for 2020-2021 @ KFAR: 8.8"            Coldest Low: 9*F (11/17)

First flake of the season: 10/15 @ 21:27 CDT

Enjoy the week.  The heat and high dews return over the weekend.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 6.8"

'19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Cooler drier air arriving by midweek w lows in the low 50s and a few upper 40s in colder spots and highs generally in the 70s. Perfect weather w tons of sun.

Btw: Isaias is strengthening and will become a hurricane once again b4 hitting the Carolina's. NYC is in its path w TS Warnings now. Lotta rain will fall there. My family n friends are telling me that they are preparing. I will see this "LIVE" from video on my phone as I am chatting w people there. :D

It's 70/50 at 1pm here in Cedar Rapids, with a stiff breeze.  It hasn't felt this good in quite a while.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 6.8"

'19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"      '16-17: 17.9"      '15-16: 20.0"      '14-15: 30.4"      '13-14: 48.3"      '12-13: 34.1"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I just stepped outside and with the wind and clouds I will say it feels cool out there. The current temperature here is 67 with a few sprinkles and a fall look to the clouds.

This Storm has a great potential to be a generational storm in the NY Metro Area.

ecmwf-deterministic-ma-gust_swath_mph-65

Man, I hope this is overdone, but who knows. 18z Euro is a disaster! These are the max wind gusts possible w this TS.

OAX is forecasting 54 tonight but I wouldnt be surprised if ice box KLNK dips into the upper 40s. Today was spectacular, high of 76 partly cloudy with low humidity. Tomorrow should be similar, just a touch warmer. It’s sad to see heat humidity coming back in a few days.

• Like 2

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"

2018-19: 55.5"

2019-20: 17.6"  

2020-21: 2.9" (so far)

Average: 25.9"

Just took a stroll around the neighborhood. Decided to wear a hoodie. Down to 54. Clear sky with a full moon. Looking like we have a good shot at dipping under 50. Can't beat it for early August.

• Like 2

The temp this morning has gone down to a cool 57F underneath clear skies.  The sun's rays have yet to come above the horizon as the morning light continues to extend later each day.  I must say, it's very nice to have a cool breeze flowing into my room while sleeping.  A few more days to go before the warmth comes back along with precip chances.

• Like 1

Just took a stroll around the neighborhood. Decided to wear a hoodie. Down to 54. Clear sky with a full moon. Looking like we have a good shot at dipping under 50. Can't beat it for early August.

Plenty of upper 40's showing up in N IA this morning...some places near record lows while others are setting records in WI and IA...

1.png

• Like 4

Plenty of upper 40's showing up in N IA this morning...some places near record lows while others are setting records in WI and IA...

Very nice. I'm at 48. I see about 25 miles to my west at Iowa Falls is down to 46.
  • Like 1

It looks like the official low at GRR this morning was 57 and that will be the coolest low since June 24th. Here at my house it got down to 56 (55.6) at this time it is clear and still 56 here a my house. I also recorded 0.05" of rain overnight.

Such beautiful weather, but it sure is boring around here and very dry still. This was one of the boringest summers and even year so far. July 2019 also was very dry here, but June and August at least had some good storms last year.

• Like 3

Such beautiful weather, but it sure is boring around here and very dry still.This was one of the boringest summers and even year so far.  July 2019 also was very dry here, but June and August at least had some good storms last year.

I agree on both terms: First- Most boring Summer, in terms of not vacationing anywhere and being stuck in MI all Summer due to f-covid and Second- weatherwise has been very "Dry N Hot."

• Like 3

Lots of tree branches fell in my hood back in NY where I go and stay when I visit. Luckily no damage. I also saw some real cool "LIVE" video from my phone while chatting w family members n friends. :D

Btw: Reports of wind gusts between 60 to 80 mph was reported in NYC and the Hampton's

My parents and I are embarking on our road trip today back to AZ through the mountains of Colorado.  My plan is to stop just outside of Denver for the night.  The weather looks superb all the way into Colorado, but there is some concern of inclement weather right around the time I enter the state.

Some models are showing potential for strong cells to develop later this evening around 6:00pm MST...nonetheless, I'm looking forward to driving down the I-80 hwy through the open country of IA and NE.  I'll chime in from time to time.  Take care!

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_ncus_18.png

• Like 3

My parents and I are embarking on our road trip today back to AZ through the mountains of Colorado. My plan is to stop just outside of Denver for the night. The weather looks superb all the way into Colorado, but there is some concern of inclement weather right around the time I enter the state.

Some models are showing potential for strong cells to develop later this evening around 6:00pm MST...nonetheless, I'm looking forward to driving down the I-80 hwy through the open country of IA and NE. I'll chime in from time to time. Take care!

Safe travels! When do you come back to Chicago?
  • Like 1

Another cool, crisp morning right at 50°. Some cloud cover is expected today with temps in the mid to upper 70s. Last day of the cooler weather as temps and humidity start trending upward tomorrow.

Safe travels! When do you come back to Chicago?

Hello from near Davenport, IA! 65F

Thanks! I’m not sure just yet but prob before Labor Day. I’m planning on bouncing around in the SW.

• Like 1

Capping looks like it'll nuke any chance I had at seeing drops today. Friday night looks like my next chance but this sounding for then looks absolutely terrible.

The window for severe weather is going to come to a close soon. Usually the last gasp here takes place in early September.

2020080506_GFS_069_46.79,-96.75_severe_m

SPC actually has me marginal for Friday. Not buying it.

day3otlk_0730.gif

>1" Snowfalls for Fargo-Hector Int'l Airport in 2020-21: 10/20 (4.2"), 10/22 (2.7"),

Had an unexpected thunderstorm around 3 last night. I was so tired though I feel asleep in the middle of it, I see KLNK picked up a quick .40”. The warming trend begins today as we go back in the 80s.

• Like 3

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"

2018-19: 55.5"

2019-20: 17.6"  

2020-21: 2.9" (so far)

Average: 25.9"

Cruisin’ through the good ol’ USA continues....

I’m driving through Des Moines at the moment. I feel like stopping by and having a beer with some of our members here in IA. Love seeing the green lush country side and the rolling hills. Skies are overcast with a temp of 73F. It could easily be 93F and humid so I’m certainly enjoying the drive.

I've only ever driven through DSM and stopped for lunch there but I've loved what I've seen of that city. Have a nice rest of your drive.

• Like 2

I have a friend who lives in the western part of MI state and he just told me that the surface waters there are very cold. They are in the 40s and 50s. Now, these are dangerous water temps, that's for sure.  Anyone going swimming in that might get a"Cold Shock" to the body or incapacitation or even hypothermia, if in the water for a long time (roughly an hour or so), but, in any case, he told me that from Ludington down to South Haven, waters are extremely chilly. This is all caused by upwelling near the shore.

• Like 1

Approaching Kearney, NE and just drove underneath the Archway. The last time I drove through NE it was early November and the vegetation was dead so it’s nice to see how much greener it is. 84F and sunny.

• Like 1

My parents and I are embarking on our road trip today back to AZ through the mountains of Colorado. My plan is to stop just outside of Denver for the night. The weather looks superb all the way into Colorado, but there is some concern of inclement weather right around the time I enter the state.

Some models are showing potential for strong cells to develop later this evening around 6:00pm MST...nonetheless, I'm looking forward to driving down the I-80 hwy through the open country of IA and NE. I'll chime in from time to time. Take care!

Have fun. Safe travels. You’re driving right through my area.

• Like 1

Approaching Kearney, NE and just drove underneath the Archway. The last time I drove through NE it was early November and the vegetation was dead so it’s nice to see how much greener it is. 84F and sunny.

I’m south of Holdrege/Elm Creek Exit. It is 2 exits west of Kearney. My wife and I, and now my daughter, attended the University of Nebraska at Kearney, UNK.

• Like 1