The Weather Forums

August 2020 Pacific Northwest WX Obs and Discussion

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a warm time camping, but thanks to the elevation it was a lot more pleasant than what the lowlands experienced. I will say, Cascade River and Cascade Pass area of the North Cascades National Park

Same with Victoria, I've seen some flashes and heard distant thunder but nothing has come close yet. Different story further north on the island, my brother captured these from Nanoose looking SE over

In Eugene today for my wife s surgery. Pleasant day. And seems like the procedure went well.

Posted Images

Last year was probably the best since 2013 for convection.

Thunderstorm activity has been very minimal...little bit of lightning on 7/31 but other than that nothing since the big storm on 5/30. Last summer had lots of thunderstorms in August and September.

Warm Season Stats

+80s-0

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-66

Devil is in the details but at face value that doesn't even look like a cooler than average pattern, at least down in the Willamette Valley.

Yeah... Phil is likely just trying to troll me. Its not a cold pattern.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Devil is in the details but at face value that doesn't even look like a cooler than average pattern, at least down in the Willamette Valley.

That would be a cooler than average pattern. The 500mb mean is biased warm, but that’s a classically-niña wave guide if you really look into it.

82 at SEA and 90 at PDX today with this "Jesse-tastic" pattern... devil is in the details.

20200810-171118.jpg

That’s a completely different pattern, numbskull. :)

Remember when you thought Saturday was going to be in the 80s? Sit down.

This is today’s 500mb picture.

A 1-day transient ridge that licks the region before retrograding offshore. Let’s see if tomorrow is as warm as today..I’ll bet it’s much cooler.

RfCyE4r.png

This is today’s 500mb picture.

A 1-day transient ridge that licks the region before retrograding offshore. Let’s see if tomorrow is as warm as today..I’ll bet it’s much cooler.

Its a given that tomorrow will be cooler.    And Wednesday will be even cooler... but still just a little below normal with this pattern.

gfs_z500a_namer_9.png

That is a much cooler pattern than what you posted from the EPS... with the trough inland.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Remember when you thought Saturday was going to be in the 80s? Sit down.

I never said Saturday would be in the 80s.  I thought it might end up close on Sunday.   

I was expecting mid 70s on Saturday... but it was a marine layer day with a c-zone signature and drizzle across the Seattle area.  I also knew that was possibility... those are the usual model forecast bust days.    PDX was 79.     I might not know much... but I do know how to predict temps across western WA.    Even so... there will be days when it does not follow the plan.   The models did trend cooler the day before as it become obvious that there would be a c-zone signature.

Luckily it was the upper 80s for us that day on the other side of the mountains.   :)

It's not the dry that's doing it. Our summers were very dry in the past, and often drier than our present ones. The extreme dryness is one of my favorite things about summer here. You don't have to worry about putting tools away and whatnot when working on outdoor projects.

One of my favorite things about the PNW is our summers. It doesn't rain much in July/August so you can always plan summer activities and outdoor projects without worrying about it raining much. Hopefully our climate returns to what it was back in the day. Drier summers and cold snowy winters.

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

95F. 90+ number 15 I think. I’ll have to check later.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

112mph in Midway, IA

100mph in Hiawatha, IA

106mph in Le Grand, IA

99mph in Albion, IA

Just saw some of the pictures after the derecho moved through, absolutely devastating. This grain elevator got destroyed.

wfGtREf.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/WxKanost/status/1292875141777694722

<p><font size="3"><font color="purple"><b>Isaiah 26:20 Come, my people, enter your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until the wrath is past.</font></b></font></font>

Good god...130-140mph on velocity scans.

KEb4vt5.jpg

The power of mother nature. I love windstorms but deep down I would never want to see something this strong occur here in the PNW.

95F. 90+ number 15 I think. I’ll have to check later.

You're just adding to the tally now. Over or under 20 this year?

One of my favorite things about the PNW is our summers. It doesn't rain much in July/August so you can always plan summer activities and outdoor projects without worrying about it raining much. Hopefully our climate returns to what it was back in the day. Drier summers and cold snowy winters.

Yeah like we were saying earlier it’s probably the heat that’s killing all of the trees moreso than the dry. Although record long dry seasons (way more than just July and August) and summers of nearly unbroken heat are not a good combination.

Totally random, but that cold airmass in BC during mid January was pretty freaking impressive. Just checking some numbers up there. -48F in Prince George was their coldest since Jan 9, 1991 (-51F). It's too bad Portland couldn't squeeze out anything meaningful last January...

Totally random, but that cold airmass in BC during mid January was pretty freaking impressive. Just checking some numbers up there. -48F in Prince George was their coldest since Jan 9, 1991 (-51F). It's too bad Portland couldn't squeeze out anything meaningful last January...

I have a little thermometer up at our cabin at Watch Lake. It dropped to -40F in January. And that’s a pretty sheltered spot under the eaves of our place. It was probably several degrees colder. That was big time cold for that area.
  • Like 1

You're just adding to the tally now. Over or under 20 this year?

Over. I’ll “price is right” it at 22.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

Pretty much everyone south of Olympia had a dud or a bigtime dud.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

I had 19 degree heavy snow one morning during that event.

Looks like the marine layer will not be too stubborn the next couple days despite the troughing.

I noticed on the visible satellite this evening that the WA coast was still clear.