The Weather Forums

August 2020 Pacific Northwest WX Obs and Discussion

I went to bed and it was summer like and woke up and it's November again.

d**n clouds!

Arrrrrggghhh!

77 and sunny here... not too November-like.

Hope you did not stay in bed all day!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a warm time camping, but thanks to the elevation it was a lot more pleasant than what the lowlands experienced. I will say, Cascade River and Cascade Pass area of the North Cascades National Park

Same with Victoria, I've seen some flashes and heard distant thunder but nothing has come close yet. Different story further north on the island, my brother captured these from Nanoose looking SE over

In Eugene today for my wife s surgery. Pleasant day. And seems like the procedure went well.

Posted Images

Waited till after 2 PM to float the Snoqualmie in Fall City so it could warm up a bit but it's perfect here now. Close to 80 with bright sunshine.

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

Waited till after 2 PM to float the Snoqualmie in Fall City so it could warm up a bit but it's perfect here now. Close to 80 with bright sunshine.

Has to be pretty warm out for that... that water is chilly. We have done that the last two evenings through North Bend.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Has to be pretty warm out for that... that water is chilly. We have done that the last two evenings through North Bend.

I've done it probably ten times this Summer. Tried the Skykomish in Monroe and the Deschutes in Olympia but Fall City is the best. Anything over about 75 feels fine to me. Drinks help.
  • Like 1

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

Got up to 88F now down to 84F.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 36 (Most recent: Feb 24, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

I've done it probably ten times this Summer. Tried the Skykomish in Monroe and the Deschutes in Olympia but Fall City is the best. Anything over about 75 feels fine to me. Drinks help.

Beverages are a must.

Welcome back Jesse!

Thursday’s system actually seems to be trending stronger and farther south. Hopefully we can get some convection.

Would be great. I’m still kind of bummed about the fate of the system that was supposed to happen late this week.

• Downvote 1

88/59. Beautiful day to kick off the new month.

Personal Stats:

Pretty nice to be going into August with no major heat on the horizon. Although I’m guessing that will likely change before too long.

Down to 68 here after a high of 81.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I think you were the only one who remembered that I was going to the North Cascades this week.

I was worried you got mauled by a bear or something.

Beautiful and sunny this morning. Got down to 55F now up to 66F.

July finished +2.2F and 0.0" of rain.

Personal Stats:

Still excited for some rain even if it’s not going to be a big soaking. Last August was pretty nice in terms of rainfall...had 1.57” total last year. Doubt we get that much this August.

This summers been diffrent than last year in the regard that June 2019 was dry and warm...but things progressively got wetter as we went through the summer. This year we started off wet in June and early July...but dried out in the second half of July which is more normal. Last summer the grass was yellow and dried up by the beginning of June but was mostly green by late August...inverse of this summer.

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-25

Coldest high-32

Freezes-15

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Cold season rainfall-32.09”

Snowfall-15.5”

Still excited for some rain even if it’s not going to be a big soaking. Last August was pretty nice in terms of rainfall...had 1.57” total last year. Doubt we get that much this August.

This summers been diffrent than last year in the regard that June 2019 was dry and warm...but things progressively got wetter as we went through the summer. This year we started off wet in June and early July...but dried out in the second half of July which is more normal. Last summer the grass was yellow and dried up by the beginning of June but was mostly green by late August...inverse of this summer.

I agree... in many ways this summer has been the inverse of last summer.   At least so far.

I agree... in many ways this summer has been the inverse of last summer.   At least so far.

June was +1.6F and July +2.2F

Seems pretty similar to last year.

Personal Stats:

June was +1.6F and July +2.2F

Seems pretty similar to last year.

We don't live in Eugene.  

This summer has had a more normal progression up here... wet in June and then really drying out in July.   

Last summer... each month got wetter through the summer with the driest month being June.    Its felt like the inverse of last summer up here in terms of tangible weather.

Seems like we are actually capable of cool nights this summer. During the recent heatwave Hillsboro had a 98/51 day which is a 47°F diurnal range. Much better than last summer where the Blob was in full swing and we were getting nights in the mid-60s at PDX effortlessly.

Seems like we are actually capable of cool nights this summer. During the recent heatwave Hillsboro had a 98/51 day which is a 47°F diurnal range. Much better than last summer where the Blob was in full swing and we were getting nights in the mid-60s at PDX effortlessly.

Probably more of a result of the upper level pattern... at least that is what Matt would say.

I wonder if that small area of near normal temps offshore has an effect?     Overall... it looks like the "blob" is alive and well but it does not quite reach the PNW coastline.

2020-4.png

We don't live in Eugene.  

This summer has had a more normal progression up here... wet in June and then really drying out in July.   

Last summer... each month got wetter through the summer with the driest month being June.    Its felt like the inverse of last summer up here in terms of tangible weather.

Yeah definitely hard to compare the summer weather of Eugene to Seattle...even Portland which is a ways north from Eugene is quite a bit warmer in the summer than Seattle.

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-25

Coldest high-32

Freezes-15

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Snowfall-15.5”

70 and mostly sunny here at noon...high clouds are approaching now. Probably will end up a few degrees warmer than yesterday still.

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-25

Coldest high-32

Freezes-15

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Snowfall-15.5”

And yeah hey Fred I cannot quote anyone, my profile button on the right side of the screen no longer works and when I try to hit the “Full Version” button on the bottom under the “post” button just sends me back to the top of the page of the mobile version. I have tried restarting my phone, closing out of the forum and reopening with no change. Can’t message you Privately since I can’t get to my profile options.

I think that had to do more with the upper level pattern than the “blob”. Lots of moist southerly flow last summer. We’ve had our more normal NW flow this year so far.

The blob is definitely dead now, though. Lots of upwelling along the coast the last few months. Although again that is also a result of the upper level pattern. Southerly flow at 500mb is not great for upwelling. So the warm nights is kind of a chicken vs egg thing in that case since the same upper level patterns that are conducive to warm temps offshore also tend to be conducive to warm nights in the summer, regardless of blobbiness.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Some nice looking 12z runs. Should at least be entertaining to watch the mid to long range troughing get widdled down to nothing once again.

Generally can’t expect significant troughing around here until very late August at the earliest.

2020-4.png

Cliff Mass original coined the term "blob" and he defined it as a large area of warmer than normal water in the NE Pacific.

I don't think its dead and gone. Not that it matters much.

Cliff Mass original coined the term "blob" and he defined it as a large area of warmer than normal water in the NE Pacific.

I don't think its dead and gone. Not that it matters much.

Having an area of warm water between the Aleutians and Hawaii is actually a Niña configuration, I think.

Having an area of warm water between the Aleutians and Hawaii is actually a Niña configuration, I think.

Yup, also a -PDO configuration. Not that I would pay too much attention to the inaccurate SST anomaly map quoted above anyway.

Yes... it was defined as the far NE Pacific.