The Weather Forums

August 2020 Pacific Northwest WX Obs and Discussion

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a warm time camping, but thanks to the elevation it was a lot more pleasant than what the lowlands experienced. I will say, Cascade River and Cascade Pass area of the North Cascades National Park

Same with Victoria, I've seen some flashes and heard distant thunder but nothing has come close yet. Different story further north on the island, my brother captured these from Nanoose looking SE over

In Eugene today for my wife s surgery. Pleasant day. And seems like the procedure went well.

Posted Images

Sounds like a wildfire has started about 8 miles SE of Hood River today. Hopefully they get it under control, that’s a nice area.

I was just at Tamanawas Falls yesterday. Drove to Hood River, took Highway 35 south to the trailhead, then took 26 back home. I’ll have to get pics onto my computer and post them.

If it rains on Thursday it'll be tough to feel which season it belongs to. When we get rain in June or early July it's like Spring is holding on and still fading away. When it rains in late August that's more of an early fall system.

It seems like there's a window between July 4th and August 10th of it being middle of the summer absolutely. So if it happens it's just bonus rain.

• Like 1

Probably more of a result of the upper level pattern... at least that is what Matt would say.

I wonder if that small area of near normal temps offshore has an effect? Overall... it looks like the "blob" is alive and well but it does not quite reach the PNW coastline.

2020-4.png

Looks more reasonable on CDAS. Recent pattern warmed those SSTAs. They’ll be cooling back down over the next few weeks.

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

Some nice looking 12z runs. Should at least be entertaining to watch the mid to long range troughing get widdled down to nothing once again.

Generally can’t expect significant troughing around here until very late August at the earliest.

I think it’s coming early this year.

Though September has warm risks.

Water temp between 78 and 79 on our depth finder and air temp is 81... summer perfection out here.

20200802-135318.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

That has to be one of the warmest lakes around. Or your depth sounder isn’t very accurate

Official buoy in the middle of the lake was at 77 this morning.

Conditions are absolutely perfect all around.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Official buoy in the middle of the lake was at 77 this morning.

Conditions are absolutely perfect all around.

Crazy. Osoyoos lake is generally considered to be the warmest lake in Canada and has an average summer temp of 75-77F.

Our kiddie pool with a cover is only in the mid 70s.

Crazy. Osoyoos lake is generally considered to be the warmest lake in Canada and has an average summer temp of 75-77F.

We have discussed this many times. Its a perfect lake for water activities. Best one in this area. And the closest one to our house.

Fair enough. I’m allowed to be skeptical

You should come down and check it out... after the pandemic of course. ;)

Probably more of a result of the upper level pattern... at least that is what Matt would say.

I wonder if that small area of near normal temps offshore has an effect?     Overall... it looks like the "blob" is alive and well but it does not quite reach the PNW coastline.

2020-4.png

Why do different websites show different anomalies for the same day?

Why do different websites show different anomalies for the same day?

There is a website for warm biased people and one for cold biased. Just like you can choose to get your news from Fox or MSNBC depending on your political leanings.

Can’t wait for sunset...should be great tonight with the moonrise as well. Looks like we’re going to avoid 80 today...79/56 down to 77.

Warm Season Stats

+80s-1

+85s-0

+90s-0

Monthly Rainfall-0.39”

Warm Season Rainfall-0.39”

Warmest high temp-80

Fair enough. I’m allowed to be skeptical

Our kiddie pool with a cover is only in the mid 70s.

Lmao. Tim’s lake is not 80°F. That’s almost thermodynamically impossible.

His sounder is as overexposed as that snoqualamie sensor. (Fyi, that’s a figure of speech, for those with broken sarcasm detectors).

Even assuming full insolation, shallow depth, and zero runoff input, it would be physically impossible for any lake to maintain a temperature 15+ degrees warmer than the average ambient temperature.

Lmao. Tim’s lake is not 80°F. That’s almost thermodynamically impossible.

His sounder is as overexposed as that snoqualamie sensor.

OK dude. It was so warm... between 76-79 everywhere we went. My wife and the kids loved it... nobody wanted to get out.

Don't really care what you think. :)

Nice day fellas.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 12.0"                        2020-21: 52.02"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

Up to 87F in Springfield. Beautiful again.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 50 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

Probably an inflated reading.

Our depth finder was a degree or two warmer.

And if you were actually in the water you would have no doubt at all. It was so warm.

Maybe Mattias can go verify this week. But I don't really care... I would not want it any warmer.

Had a warm time camping, but thanks to the elevation it was a lot more pleasant than what the lowlands experienced. I will say, Cascade River and Cascade Pass area of the North Cascades National Park is beautiful.

attachicon.gifF4C75011-BEE2-4D09-B6D4-4C8EB4F5C0B6.jpeg

Got home on what was the nicest day in about a week too, so that was good timing.

I remember doing that trail with my dad when I was about 10 or 11. I have a pic standing in a spot looking down on the valley, which was buried in fog, while the mountain tops were in bright morning sunshine.

• Like 2

Low. Solar.