Jump to content
The Weather Forums

Recommended Posts

Not sure if this is true elsewhere, but fwiw, this September has been very different than pretty much any other I can remember since the mid-2000s.

It’s actually behaving like an...autumn month. Gasp. Brings back childhood memories when September used to be  more like this.

Hopefully it signals a turn away from the weather pattern tendencies of the last decade, which have been atrocious.

  • Like 2
  • Sun 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The house still stands. They let us in to check on the animals. Without the dogs there 4 of the chickens and 1 of the ducks have been killed, but the sheep and pig are doing well. We hauled fresh wate

Test. React with snow.

THIS IS A TEST. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE OR REPLY TO THIS POST, YOU WILL GET A WARM AND BORING WINTER.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not sure if this is true elsewhere, but fwiw, this September has been very different than pretty much any other I can remember since the mid-2000s.

It’s actually behaving like an...autumn month. Gasp. Brings back childhood memories when September used to be  more like this.

Hopefully it signals a turn away from the weather pattern tendencies of the last decade, which have been atrocious.

Well all the leaves turned a month early here because of the smoke. So yeah, never seen a September like it. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we can have a separate EPS thread. It would be a party of one. 

  • Like 5
  • Sun 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Well all the leaves turned a month early here because of the smoke. So yeah, never seen a September like it. 

It had a pretty rapid effect on the leaves here as well. Overall has been a pretty dynamic month. Crazy once in a generation East wind storm...hot start to the month...2 weeks of thick blanketing smoke ended by strong thunderstorms and heavy rains. Then we’ve got a significantly wet pattern to finish the final 1/3 of the month. It’s been very interesting. 

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-38

Coldest high-51

Freezes-0

Monthly rainfall-2.85”

Cold season rainfall-2.85”

Snowfall-0.0”

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Maybe we can have a separate EPS thread. It would be a party of one. 

The EPS is a very good predictive tool... probably one of the best we have available.

This works in your advantage when its shows a strong signal for wet and cold weather in the long range.     You just don't like the current runs.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites

Risky drawing comparisons to more distant climate eras, but there are some interesting large-ish scale similarities to the mid/late 1940s right now. Also the 1990s to an extent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird the leaves have hardly started turning here and we had ridiculous smoke.

  • Downvote 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 63F (Oct 10, 15, & 21)
  • Coldest low: 30F (Oct 22)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 0 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2020)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 0 (Most recent: Nov 30, 2019) *Fewest all-time*
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

24

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Weird the leaves have hardly started turning here and we had ridiculous smoke.

This maple just to the south of my house says I’m out! 
It usually put on a better show during fall but this year it just bailed. 

1E7D189E-AC19-48B9-8BF1-AAAA7EB37384.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

AQI still up at 107 with smoky skies (some places more than others). My breathing & headache issues have come back.

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 63F (Oct 10, 15, & 21)
  • Coldest low: 30F (Oct 22)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 0 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2020)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 0 (Most recent: Nov 30, 2019) *Fewest all-time*
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

24

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not sure if this is true elsewhere, but fwiw, this September has been very different than pretty much any other I can remember since the mid-2000s.

It’s actually behaving like an...autumn month. Gasp. Brings back childhood memories when September used to be  more like this.

Hopefully it signals a turn away from the weather pattern tendencies of the last decade, which have been atrocious.

Been pretty torchy out here. Likely to be the warmest Sept since 2012. If this is some new shift in the pattern I don't like it so far.

Cold Season 2020/21:

Total snowfall: 10.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 7.0"

Highest snow depth: 7.0"

Coldest high: 24.0º

Coldest low: 9.7º

Number of subzero days: 0

 

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kayla said:

Been pretty torchy out here. Likely to be the warmest Sept since 2012. If this is some new shift in the pattern I don't like it so far.

 

If not for the smoke we would probably be racing towards an all-time warm September, or at least close to it. The month has been exceptionally dark here because of the smoke...Been a strange month in a strange year. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Phil said:

Risky drawing comparisons to more distant climate eras, but there are some interesting large-ish scale similarities to the mid/late 1940s right now. Also the 1990s to an extent.

1948-49!!!!

  • Snow 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

 

If not for the smoke we would probably be racing towards an all-time warm September, or at least close to it. The month has been exceptionally dark here because of the smoke...Been a strange month in a strange year. 

One of the most ugly and destructive months in the NW that I can remember.

Cold Season 2020/21:

Total snowfall: 10.0"

Highest daily snowfall: 7.0"

Highest snow depth: 7.0"

Coldest high: 24.0º

Coldest low: 9.7º

Number of subzero days: 0

 

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Weird the leaves have hardly started turning here and we had ridiculous smoke.

I think the very strong and dry wind played a bigger role of stripping the trees early than the smoke. There are some large big leaf maples in windy spots that are already close to bare here. Gotta wonder if they will come back next spring.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kayla said:

One of the most ugly and destructive months in the NW that I can remember.

Yeah it been a bit of a climate change sh*t show. I guess that’s what we get for skating by with the most average summer in eight years, sadly.

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I think the very strong and dry wind played a bigger role of stripping the trees early than the smoke. There are some large big leaf maples in windy spots that are already close to bare here. Gotta wonder if they will come back next spring.

It was weird to see all the trees stripped bare and tons of green crackly leaves on the ground after the wind storm. Last fall had some beautiful colors don’t think it’ll be the same this year. 

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-38

Coldest high-51

Freezes-0

Monthly rainfall-2.85”

Cold season rainfall-2.85”

Snowfall-0.0”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cliff Mass says east wind events are modeled to become less frequent with climate change... and the extreme east wind event was entirely responsible for the fire outbreak on the west side.  

Good long read here...

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2020/09/did-global-warming-play-significant.html

 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get ready for a firehose come November. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Cliff Mass says east wind events are modeled to become less frequent with climate change... and the extreme east wind event was entirely responsible for the fire outbreak on the west side.  

Good long read here...

https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2020/09/did-global-warming-play-significant.html

 

What are we going to do when people like him are gone. Just facts no political BS from

either side. Absolutely fascinating stuff. The wind event blows away anything in the 1950-present era. 

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 4

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

What are we going to do when people like him are gone. Just facts no political BS from

either side. Absolutely fascinating stuff. The wind event blows away anything in the 1950-present era. 

He has a clear agenda too. Makes one feel a little lost.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

He has a clear agenda too. Makes one feel a little lost.

What is his agenda? Did you read his blog post. It was interesting. From a context standpoint it seemed useful. 

  • Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark Nelsen did a nice wrap up on fire season last night. I had forgotten how essentially non-existent fire season was last year. 

And really until Labor Day there had been little to speak of here in Oregon. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

What is his agenda? Did you read his blog post. It was interesting. From a context standpoint it seemed useful. 

Yeah I don’t see how what he said was an agenda. Was a pretty good read but long. 

  • Like 2

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-38

Coldest high-51

Freezes-0

Monthly rainfall-2.85”

Cold season rainfall-2.85”

Snowfall-0.0”

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Jesse said:

He has a clear agenda too. Makes one feel a little lost.

He sure does (and I have my criticisms of it), but then again, so does just about anyone who cares about things.

Anyone who claims to be unbiased is generally either lying or apathetic and ignorant.

  • Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jesse said:

I think the very strong and dry wind played a bigger role of stripping the trees early than the smoke. There are some large big leaf maples in windy spots that are already close to bare here. Gotta wonder if they will come back next spring.

We have actually had some cottonwoods and maples turn pretty colorful in this area.  I think that dry east wind was the same as cold air to the vegetation.  It's really inconsistent though with many trees still being totally green.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2020-21 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 40

Lows 32 or below = 0

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

We have actually had some cottonwoods and maples turn pretty colorful in this area.  I think that dry east wind was the same as cold air to the vegetation.  It's really inconsistent though with many trees still being totally green.

Same here... some alders look pretty pathetic but many trees are totally green.  

Our cottonwoods turned colors and went bare really early last year (might be related to the extremely dry March in 2019)... but right now they are totally green like the middle of summer.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Get ready for a firehose come November. 

I'll be interested to see if there is a reversal with a deep / cold trough before the firehose sets in. At any rate sometimes first year La Nina seasons are slow starters.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2020-21 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 40

Lows 32 or below = 0

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

What is his agenda? Did you read his blog post. It was interesting. From a context standpoint it seemed useful. 

There’s actually a lot of debate as to exactly what will happen as the planet warms. Beyond knowing that the global average temperature will increase (that much is basically settled), the specifics of how it will increase, and what else will happen as it increases, are difficult to model.

When it comes to east wind events, the one we just had was driven by an early cold wave pushing up against the Front Ranges, and some models indicate that weaker jet streams will make extreme cold air outbreaks easier to happen, at least in the early phases of global warming.

There are also models that predict to the contrary.

Mass acts as if it’s all basically settled and there’s nothing other than the camp he, personally, subscribes to (which predicts to the contrary). He’s not being very honest.

  • Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

There’s actually a lot of debate as to exactly what will happen as the planet warms. Beyond knowing that the global average temperature will increase (that much is basically settled), the specifics of how it will increase, and what else will happen as it increases, are difficult to model.

When it comes to east wind events, the one we just had was driven by an early cold wave pushing up against the Front Ranges, and some models indicate that weaker jet streams will make extreme cold air outbreaks easier to happen, at least in the early phases of global warming.

There are also models that predict to the contrary.

Mass acts as if it’s all basically settled and there’s nothing other than the camp he, personally, subscribes to (which predicts to the contrary). He’s not being very honest.

Thanks. I appreciate this response.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

There’s actually a lot of debate as to exactly what will happen as the planet warms. Beyond knowing that the global average temperature will increase (that much is basically settled), the specifics of how it will increase, and what else will happen as it increases, are difficult to model.

When it comes to east wind events, the one we just had was driven by an early cold wave pushing up against the Front Ranges, and some models indicate that weaker jet streams will make extreme cold air outbreaks easier to happen, at least in the early phases of global warming.

There are also models that predict to the contrary.

Mass acts as if it’s all basically settled and there’s nothing other than the camp he, personally, subscribes to (which predicts to the contrary). He’s not being very honest.

It’s not even a given that there’s any state independent value for climate sensitivity or transient response. Systemic heat flow and the net energy budget are certainly highly variable across years/decades/centuries even without human intervention. How much CO^2-forced warming can be realized is much less certain than is publicly conveyed. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

This pic is from the park in Keizer. The maples are really dropping leaves. Cottonwoods look normal. 

1D7D9C48-ED74-48FB-AC69-02C4921F6389.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Storm 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Phil said:

Risky drawing comparisons to more distant climate eras, but there are some interesting large-ish scale similarities to the mid/late 1940s right now. Also the 1990s to an extent.

January 1950! Lock. It. In.

  • Snow 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

There’s actually a lot of debate as to exactly what will happen as the planet warms. Beyond knowing that the global average temperature will increase (that much is basically settled), the specifics of how it will increase, and what else will happen as it increases, are difficult to model.

When it comes to east wind events, the one we just had was driven by an early cold wave pushing up against the Front Ranges, and some models indicate that weaker jet streams will make extreme cold air outbreaks easier to happen, at least in the early phases of global warming.

There are also models that predict to the contrary.

Mass acts as if it’s all basically settled and there’s nothing other than the camp he, personally, subscribes to (which predicts to the contrary). He’s not being very honest.

The grand solar minimum is a definite curve ball that may result in things going in a completely different direction than most people think.  As it is some scientists believe the warmth the past few years is mainly due to the oceans releasing excess heat stored up during the recent solar grand maximum.  Nobody can deny the sun is the one X factor (besides possible man caused warming) that may account for much of the warming over the past several decades.  We will know much more after this grand minimum finishes playing out.  That should be in like 50 years.

  • Like 1
  • Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2020-21 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 40

Lows 32 or below = 0

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Phil said:

It’s not even a given that there’s any state independent value for climate sensitivity or transient response. Systemic heat flow and the net energy budget are certainly highly variable across years/decades/centuries even without human intervention. How much CO^2-forced warming can be realized is much less certain than is publicly conveyed. 

I have yet to hear the climate change fear mongers address how it's possible we have gone from full blown ice ages to conditions similar to present multiple times over the past few million years when man was a total non factor.

  • Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2020-21 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 40

Lows 32 or below = 0

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I have yet to hear the climate change fear mongers address how it's possible we have gone from full blown ice ages to conditions similar to present multiple times over the past few million years when man was a total non factor.

I'm confused here, are you trying to compare the ebb and flow of how the climate changes over millions of years compared to a drastic change in say roughly 200 years? 

And because human's didn't cause a shift to and from ice ages over 20,000-40,000 year periods, is justification that human's aren't causing it now? 

  • Rain 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a view in my yard right now... big leaf maple in the foreground and some cottonwoods in the background.  I guess the cottonwoods do have a tinge of yellow today.

20200921_133855.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PDXWISCO said:

I'm confused here, are you trying to compare the ebb and flow of how the climate changes over millions of years compared to a drastic change in say roughly 200 years? 

And because human's didn't cause a shift to and from ice ages over 20,000-40,000 year periods, is justification that human's aren't causing it now? 

 

You must be new here...

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The grand solar minimum is a definite curve ball that may result in things going in a completely different direction than most people think.  As it is some scientists believe the warmth the past few years is mainly due to the oceans releasing excess heat stored up during the recent solar grand maximum.  Nobody can deny the sun is the one X factor (besides possible man caused warming) that may account for much of the warming over the past several decades.  We will know much more after this grand minimum finishes playing out.  That should be in like 50 years.

I've been hearing for it seems like 10 years from you about how we are just around the corner from some awesome winters. We've had a few nice events, but the same shitshow continues every winter. :(

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick Fred, Lock the forum, there has been a very healthy/constructive discussion about global climate trends over the past hour, but if feels like we are about to lose it.....

  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I've been hearing for it seems like 10 years from you about how we are just around the corner from some awesome winters. We've had a few nice events, but the same shitshow continues every winter. :(

It's also been pointed out that there is an obvious connection between cold anomalies in other seasons and better winters. Which we're just not seeing in large part. There isn't really a mechanism for 75% of every year torching but then seeing dramatically better winters here. 

In truth, we've actually been pretty fortunate in the timing of some of our few and far between cold periods in recent years. The cold winter months in seasons like 2018-19, 2016-17, and 2013-14 were among the most anomalously cold stretches that we've seen at any point in the last 7-8 years. And just happened to coincide with the winter for us. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

It's also been pointed out that there is an obvious connection between cold anomalies in other seasons and better winters. Which we're just not seeing in large part. There isn't really a mechanism for 75% of every year torching but then seeing dramatically better winters here. 

In truth, we've actually been pretty fortunate in the timing of some of our few and far between cold periods in recent years. The cold winter months in seasons like 2018-19, 2016-17, and 2013-14 were among the most anomalously cold stretches that we've seen at any point in the last 7-8 years. And just happened to coincide with the winter for us. 

Great point. The 2013-present period has been pretty rough to say the least. 

 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I have yet to hear the climate change fear mongers address how it's possible we have gone from full blown ice ages to conditions similar to present multiple times over the past few million years when man was a total non factor.

A good place to start reading about Al Gore's conspiracy to sell solar panels 😉

Hays, James D., John Imbrie, and Nicholas J. Shackleton. "Variations in the Earth’s orbit: pacemaker of the ice ages." Science 194.4270 (1976): 1121-1132.

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

It’s going to snow so much this winter that I will end up blowing out my engine or transmission on my mower plow! Going to be epic and will make February 2019 look like child’s play! 

0CD4B247-1576-4026-8FC5-CB6F5E54F6F6.jpeg

7B13C4F0-A59D-4523-8D73-609D289721C2.jpeg4BF00A43-44B0-4976-95C5-6297185999EA.jpeg

Lock it in.

  • Like 1
  • Snow 2
  • Downvote 4

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 63F (Oct 10, 15, & 21)
  • Coldest low: 30F (Oct 22)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 0 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2020)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 0 (Most recent: Nov 30, 2019) *Fewest all-time*
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

24

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Chris unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...