Jump to content
The Weather Forums

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

SEA is over 2 inches on the month now... normal is 1.5 inches for September.     Going to end up at least 135% of normal for the month which seemed very unlikely a couple weeks ago.   Probably won't get to the 3.32 inches there last September though.  

Were about to get blasted though Screenshot 2020-09-25 081211.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The house still stands. They let us in to check on the animals. Without the dogs there 4 of the chickens and 1 of the ducks have been killed, but the sheep and pig are doing well. We hauled fresh wate

Test. React with snow.

THIS IS A TEST. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE OR REPLY TO THIS POST, YOU WILL GET A WARM AND BORING WINTER.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Raining all around you... and you barely have anything.     And they say you live in an area that always gets pounded with rain!   

You area is often shadowed in our big SW flow rain events.   But you make it up with c-zones... and it all averages out to be similar to other areas along the I-5 corridor.  

I don't think anyone has really claimed he gets pounded by rain. In the winter though he does get snow. 

I have to screenshot my photos otherwise they post sideways

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, El_Nina said:

I don't think anyone has really claimed he gets pounded by rain. In the winter though he does get snow. 

The snow is a benefit related to the c-zone part of the equation up there.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Omegaraptor said:

Off topic and not exactly the hardest thing in the world to do but I have been accepted to Montana State University. They sent me an early application with no essay required and I filled it out.

Congrats! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Off topic and not exactly the hardest thing in the world to do but I have been accepted to Montana State University. They sent me an early application with no essay required and I filled it out.

Congratulations! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Raining all around you... and you barely have anything.     And they say you live in an area that always gets pounded with rain!   

You area is often shadowed in our big SW flow rain events.   But you make it up with c-zones... and it all averages out to be similar to other areas along the I-5 corridor.  

His location is over 40” on the year.  What are Seattle and Bellingham at?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

Looks like the rain is coming to a pretty abrupt halt behind the front. Picked up another 0.4" up here, for a monthly total of 1.81". Should be enough to end the seasonal drought.

Close to an inch here overnight. Haven’t added it up but we’re over 3.5” for the month.  Should make it okay to enjoy the sunshine next week 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

West Coast drought

I think drought is more likely to develop in the SE US this winter/spring as the potent Niña and northern jet increasingly asserts itself.

Though the SW/S-Central states can also be favored for drought in -ENSO. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

His location is over 40” on the year.  What are Seattle and Bellingham at?

 

Not the entire I-5 corridor.     BLI and SEA both average less than 40 inches per year.    Which puts those spots on the low end for the I-5 corridor in general.

Places like Centralia to the south and Arlington (in between SEA and BLI) average around 45 inches.    Randy's area is in line with much of the I-5 corridor.  

 

 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Hillsboro is at 16.22” for the year.

What would be the right term for us in the north valley?

Wasn’t it the Hillsboro gauge that was deemed to be faulty in the rain event Wednesday. Might need to look elsewhere for a comparison. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

 

Not the entire I-5 corridor.     BLI and SEA both average less than 40 inches per year.    Which puts those spots on the low end for the I-5 corridor in general.

Places like Centralia to the south and Arlington (in between SEA and BLI) average around 45 inches.    Randy's area is in line with much of the I-5 corridor.  

 

 

OLM averages 50” a year. Mossman’s house might be similar to OLM or slightly higher? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Omegaraptor said:

OLM averages 50” a year. Mossman’s house might be similar to OLM or slightly higher? 

It really comes down to shadowing and c-zones in western WA.

OLM gets the full brunt of SW flow rain events but almost never gets in on c-zones.   The opposite of Randy's area.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

 

Not the entire I-5 corridor.     BLI and SEA both average less than 40 inches per year.    Which puts those spots on the low end for the I-5 corridor in general.

Places like Centralia to the south and Arlington (in between SEA and BLI) average around 45 inches.    Randy's area is in line with much of the I-5 corridor.  

 

 

Hard to speculate on the coming rainy season but his location could pretty conceivably end up in the 65-70” range for the year.  That’s pretty wet.  Maybe just an exceptionally wet year there, though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Not the entire I-5 corridor.     BLI and SEA both average less than 40 inches per year.    Which puts those spots on the low end for the I-5 corridor in general.

KBLI is slightly drier than KSEA, due to being on the edge of the same Olympic rain shadow that more famously affects places like Sequim, Port Angeles, northern Whidbey Island, and the San Juans. Average rainfall increases fairly rapidly as you move north and get into the influence of orographic lift from the mountains north of Vancouver (speaking of which, North Van is very wet, rain-forest wet in fact).

It's called clown range for a reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

KBLI is slightly drier than KSEA, due to being on the edge of the same Olympic rain shadow that more famously affects places like Sequim, Port Angeles, northern Whidbey Island, and the San Juans. Average rainfall increases fairly rapidly as you move north and get into the influence of orographic lift from the mountains north of Vancouver (speaking of which, North Van is very wet, rain-forest wet in fact).

Yeah...I gotta relocate somewhere drier/colder. The orographic lift doesn't seem to have any effect on snow totals either, at least where I am.

  • Downvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Hard to speculate on the coming rainy season but his location could pretty conceivably end up in the 65-70” range for the year.  That’s pretty wet.  Maybe just an exceptionally wet year there, though. 

January and the first part of February featured crazy amounts of rain in areas exposed to NW flow.   That hit Randy's area and my area hard while places like SEA were often shadowed.   The Cedar Falls station near me was just .02 short of the wettest January/February period ever (set in 1953).    Yeah... it was pretty exceptional at the start of the year.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, luminen said:

Yeah...I gotta relocate somewhere drier/colder. The orographic lift doesn't seem to have any effect on snow totals either, at least where I am.

If you want more snow, get some elevation. Westwood and Burnaby Mountain generally do very well in the snow department. That first 300 m or so makes a dramatic difference in the amount of annual snow. Even the first 100 m of elevation does.

Bellingham generally doesn’t do that great in terms of snow compared to metro Vancouver, simply because it’s drier here.

It's called clown range for a reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Omegaraptor said:

Off topic and not exactly the hardest thing in the world to do but I have been accepted to Montana State University. They sent me an early application with no essay required and I filled it out.

Nicely done!!! They were one of the first D1 men’s basketball teams to send me a jersey. Their entire staff and players signed it back in 2018. Enjoy the snow in Bozeman!

  • Like 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 63F (Oct 10 & 15)
  • Coldest low: 39F (Oct 16)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 0 (Most recent: Apr 14, 2020)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 0 (Most recent: Nov 30, 2019) *Fewest all-time*
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

24

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gust to 39 mph here puts it up with some of the strongest storms we have each season. The 37 mph from Wednesday was also pretty impressive. Sitting squarely in the rain shadow so at 1.25" for the month and 27.5" for the year.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018)   Wettest Day: 2.43 (2012)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"

Snowfall Totals

2008-09: 30" | 2009-10: 0.5" | 2010-11: 21" | 2011-12: 9.5" | 2012-13: 0.2" | 2013-14: 6.2" | 2014-15: 0.0" | 2015-16: 0.25"| 2016-17: 8.0" | 2017-18: 0.9"| 2018-19: 11.5"

2019-20: 11"

[1/9: Flakes, 1/12: Trace, 1/13: 0.25", 1/14: 8.5", 1/15: 2.0", 1/16: Flakes, 1/17: 0.25"]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Generator is coming in sometime next week, but we lost power again last night around 2am, believe it is still out. Day # 8 without power this month. 

  • Sad 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We had 2.84” of rain at this location in September last year. Looking like we will finish this month with a fairly similar number...maybe just slightly less. 

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-43

Coldest high-57

Freezes-0

Monthly rainfall-2.81”

Cold season rainfall-2.81”

Snowfall-0.0”

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Generator is coming in sometime next week, but we lost power again last night around 2am, believe it is still out. Day # 8 without power this month. 

Probably the first eight of many such days, given how many fire-killed and precarious trees will be falling across power lines. You probably already know this, but: Be sure to get the generator installed to code, else it will backfeed power (the step-down transformer that feeds your house will act like step-up transformer) into the system, with possibly tragic results for utility workers.

  • Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShawniganLake said:

Hard to speculate on the coming rainy season but his location could pretty conceivably end up in the 65-70” range for the year.  That’s pretty wet.  Maybe just an exceptionally wet year there, though. 

Aren't they all? 😏

  • Like 2
  • Rain 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eujunga said:

0.00" on the day, 1.00" for the month, and around 18" for the year.

#fresnification

I think EUG is closing in on 3" for the month.

Running a +1.70" departure on September rainfall through the 24th.

  • Like 2
  • Rain 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Aren't they all? 😏

Actually pretty frequent lately... just finished the wettest decade in Seattle history.

2013 and 2019 were the notably dry years.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Omegaraptor said:

Off topic and not exactly the hardest thing in the world to do but I have been accepted to Montana State University. They sent me an early application with no essay required and I filled it out.

Congrats. You think you're gonna go?

  • Like 3
  • Snow 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Congrats. You think you're gonna go?

It's a possibility for sure. In state is still most likely at this point, but MSU offers good scholarships from what I've heard and is a WUE school. Will have to wait and see.

Also got an early application request from Northern Arizona University. Flagstaff is a great geographical/climate location but I've heard it's not the best school? Either way the application fee is waived so I really lose nothing by applying.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

It's a possibility for sure. In state is still most likely at this point, but MSU offers good scholarships from what I've heard and is a WUE school. Will have to wait and see.

Also got an early application request from Northern Arizona University. Flagstaff is a great geographical/climate location but I've heard it's not the best school? Either way the application fee is waived so I really lose nothing by applying.

I don't know anything about Northern Arizona University, but I know many people who have gone to MSU and it's a very good school from everything I've heard.

Climate wise. I would take Bozeman in a heartbeat, but they probably get a good deal more warmth and sunshine in Flagstaff in addition to the snow which you might like more. They rarely see sub-freezing highs in the winter despite all the snow too.

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Probably the first eight of many such days, given how many fire-killed and precarious trees will be falling across power lines. You probably already know this, but: Be sure to get the generator installed to code, else it will backfeed power (the step-down transformer that feeds your house will act like step-up transformer) into the system, with possibly tragic results for utility workers.

 

We are going to have it professionally installed. 

  • Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I don't know anything about Northern Arizona University, but I know many people who have gone to MSU and it's a very good school from everything I've heard.

Climate wise. I would take Bozeman in a heartbeat, but they probably get a good deal more warmth and sunshine in Flagstaff in addition to the snow which you might like more.

 

Flagstaff is great and you can get to Phoenix in a few hours. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 3.38"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I think EUG is closing in on 3" for the month.

Running a +1.70" departure on September rainfall through the 24th.

Yes, but I don't live at the airport. AT MY LOCATION, September rainfall has totaled exactly an inch.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

 

Flagstaff is great and you can get to Phoenix in a few hours. 

Yeah but that's assuming Phoenix is a place anyone would ever want to go. ;)

Bozeman is an hour or so from Yellowstone.

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Chris unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...