June 2024 Pacific Northwest Weather

Absolute stunner of a summer day. Got a little toasty for shoveling drain rock while wearing an annoying shoulder brace but sweat is NOT a poisonous substance. 

• Like 4
  • Excited 2
  • Weenie 1
  • Death Ridge 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Got up to a toasty 82 degrees today after a low of 54/

Found this posted on FB,  not sure if it is legit, seems plausible given how stretched the energy grid is in parts of the country.  Certainly when I was in Japan, they kept the temps in the office buildings around 78-80.  When I was in an office here in Bellingham it regularly hit 80, but that was more due to a dysfunctional HVAC  system.  Absolutely miserable.

For me personally, they can f*ck right on off with that bullsh*t!  I can't even sleep good when the room is 70 degrees, at 82, it would not even be worth bothering...

IMG_7772.thumb.JPG.6aa299a7d92a7e00c6f42c1a04836eb2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Death Ridge 1

13 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Absolute stunner of a summer day. Got a little toasty for shoveling drain rock while wearing an annoying shoulder brace but sweat is NOT a poisonous substance. 

I should be mowing, weed whacking, and sweating tomorrow…But I will be at the lake jetsking instead! Prepare for POV pics!! 

• Like 2
  • Angry 1
  • Sun 1
  • Sick 1
  • Weenie 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

12 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Found this posted on FB,  not sure if it is legit, seems plausible given how stretched the energy grid is in parts of the country.  Certainly when I was in Japan, they kept the temps in the office buildings around 78-80.  When I was in an office here in Bellingham it regularly hit 80, but that was more due to a dysfunctional HVAC  system.  Absolutely miserable.

For me personally, they can f*ck right on off with that bullsh*t!  I can't even sleep good when the room is 70 degrees, at 82, it would not even be worth bothering...

Wow! 
This time of the year we have ours set at…

72 during the day (only AC set at that so it’s been mostly topping out around 70 in the house except for today when the ac kicked on at 72. 

At night 65! It’s set to start cooling the house at 9:30 and will get to 65 by around 10pm then it releases at 5am so the house will slowly warm throughout the morning naturally until the ac kicks on again past 72. 

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Wow! 

72 during the day (only AC set at that so it’s been mostly topping out around 70 in the house except for today when the ac kicked on at 72. 

At night 65! It’s set to start cooling the house at 9:30 and will get to 65 by around 10pm then it releases at 5am so the house will slowly warm throughout the morning naturally until the ac kicks on again past 72. 

82 at night is crazy! The reason we’re able to fall asleep at night is due to the falling temperatures. That’s how humans evolved. If the temperature is 78 all day and then you increase it to 82, with the rising temperature your body will think it’s morning and it’s time to get ready for the day. In turn you won’t be able to fall asleep. We personally keep our AC at 80 but if we have guest over then we bump it down to 75. In the evening we set it to 70. The temperature difference from the day to night helps facilitate sleep for us. 🛌 😴 💤 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

foto5c0317ef22ec03f3d05aaa5dd47915e9.png

23 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

What if you're home, sleeping?

• Excited 1

A decent day today. A little on the warm side but we should probably get used to days like this the next 2-3 months. 89/54 spread. So far have avoided 90 this year (peaked at 89 on 5/10 as well), which is kinda nice. We’ll see how tomorrow plays out.

Beautiful evening out currently with some scenic high clouds around, a mild NW breeze and a current temp of 74.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

24 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I should be mowing, weed whacking, and sweating tomorrow…But I will be at the lake jetsking instead! Prepare for POV pics!! 

I'll be boating plenty tommorow as-well, but sadly no Jet-skiing because I haven't been able to get that old thing fixed, at this point I'm getting tempted to buy a new one. (Used of course)

• Like 1
  • bongocat-test 1

I live on the snowiest populated hill in oregon! My name Is sunriver snow zone because I always have the most snow out of anywhere in the town, favorable location.

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 93"!!

45 minutes ago, Thermal Trough said:

82 at night is crazy! The reason we’re able to fall asleep at night is due to the falling temperatures. That’s how humans evolved. If the temperature is 78 all day and then you increase it to 82, with the rising temperature your body will think it’s morning and it’s time to get ready for the day. In turn you won’t be able to fall asleep. We personally keep our AC at 80 but if we have guest over then we bump it down to 75. In the evening we set it to 70. The temperature difference from the day to night helps facilitate sleep for us. 🛌 😴 💤 

I couldn't even do that.  My wife and I both work upstairs, and its an open floor plan so we just have the one A/C.  We close off the vents downstairs to pump all of the cold air upstairs and let it settle downstairs.   We tested this with our A/C installer here to make sure we were not putting too much strain on the system with all of those ducts mostly closed. 

We keep the A/C at 71 during the day, and drop it to 68 at night, but most evenings I will open up the house once it hits about 65.  Our house backs up against a dense wooded area, and you can stand in the back yard in the evenings and feel the cool air pouring out of the woods.  It helps cool the house down nicely.

It ends up getting up to 75 or so upstairs during the day, so we both have desk fans blowing on us.

I would probably go lower in the evenings, but I get into a tradeoff with the impacts of the dry air on my sinuses.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

82 at sleep is fuuucking crazy. I literally couldn't fall asleep in that, I pity the folx at somewhere like phoenix prior to AC.

Since it always gets cold enough here at night, I do not have HVAC. Even during our warmest heatwave, we can just open the windows and put some fans in them and we'll easily get the house to the upper 60s by 11pm. For example, the hottest day last year for us which reached 102, was already down to 62 at 11pm. Sunriver blessings at work. And no need for heaters because we have 2 woodstoves and always have a large surplus of firewood, and a well insulated house.

• Like 1

I live on the snowiest populated hill in oregon! My name Is sunriver snow zone because I always have the most snow out of anywhere in the town, favorable location.

32 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

@Thermal Trough is 100% a troll account. 

Seems like it. What clinched it for me was this post explaining the rain shadow on a pnw based weather forum, ontop of the constant Fox 12 graphs.

On 6/3/2024 at 6:04 PM, Thermal Trough said:

Thanks for the story! I love the Port Angeles, Sequim, Victoria area. I’m not sure if you knew about its unique microclimate before you moved there but it gets less rain compared to everywhere else west of the Cascades due to the Olympic Rain Shadow. At the same as you mentioned it can get lots of snowfall if the setup is right. December 1996 is another example. If I was from BC I would probably live in Victoria.

IMG_3466.jpeg.282ed48ef1e95163702ecd0021797569.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Sun 1

To be honest, is there really anyone here who isn't a troll in some way? 

• Like 1
  • Phil 1

1 hour ago, Deweydog said:

Not unless you drink poison

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 40

3 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

I was able to do all the lawn edging with the weed wacker with no crutches this evening... pretty big achievement for me.   Lugging that heavy thing around in the 85 degree sun and sweating and loving it.  It's the simple things.   My wife is still mowing but guessing I might be able to do that next time around.   Just a bit slower than her.

Glad to hear you’re on the mend. 💪 

• Like 3
foto26446a4f1f801ef3b3d1564dea31df66.png
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

Wow! 

That sounds crazy cold for the house during the summer. Do you sleep in shorts and a t-shirt and a sheet in those temperatures?

I've heard of people who set the heat to 72 in the winter and set the AC to 68 in the summer.

• Popcorn 1
  • Troll 1

3 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

I was able to do all the lawn edging with the weed wacker with no crutches this evening... pretty big achievement for me.   Lugging that heavy thing around in the 85 degree sun and sweating and loving it.  It's the simple things.   My wife is still mowing but guessing I might be able to do that next time around.   Just a bit slower than her.

In a couple months, you'll hopefully be able to throw those crutches in the fireplace and let them burn to ashes. Just make sure to get away from the fire as crutches are saturated with a LOT of sweat after being stuck into people's armpits for hours at a time.

• Like 1
  • Death Ridge 1

1 hour ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Phil is puking and vomiting looking at this, he only will ever use a multi thousand dollar weather station that requires you to go high on big steep roofs and climb big ladders, and will laugh at the idea of someone getting severely injured by a small ladder. Phil is amazing.

No, but I would laugh at a junkie masquerading as a retiree getting injured hiking up a mountain at 3AM in pink bunny slippers while trolling a weather forum.  

• Like 4
  • lol 4
  • bongocat-test 1
  • Phil 1
"Western troughing literally kills people at this time of year. And in the most gruesome of ways."

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

You are a Chewbacca, so that fur coat must keep you warm.

• Like 1
  • bongocat-test 1

00z GEFS looks great for the remainder of the month. Could squeak by without too bad of a torchy June if this pans out. Nice soaking being advertised toward the end of the month as well. I’d be surprised if the Euro looks half as fun.

IMG_5195.png

• Sick 1
  • Weenie 1

22 minutes ago, Phil said:

No, but I would laugh at a junkie masquerading as a retiree getting injured hiking up a mountain at 3AM in pink bunny slippers while trolling a weather forum.  

a-christmas-story-bunny.thumb.jpg.dbd1ef585adaa829b2cada937536ad1a.jpg

58F and clear skies. Vega right overhead.

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

6 hours ago, Deweydog said:

Three years ago RIGHT NOW the models were looking less than credible. 

And one day the same will happen but on the extreme cold/snowy side…One day…Those massive eye candy January 1950 redux looking models will come true! 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Weenie 1

Looks like a low of 64 so far for PDX. Their first absurdly warm low of the season. Fitting for the first morning after the solstice (following the shortest night of the year)

Low of 58 here. Looking forward to the cooldown starting tomorrow.

• Weenie 2

9 hours ago, MossMan said:

You speak of things Jesse does not like.   You are just a troll account and not a real person.   Please align your posting here accordingly.   Walking in the woods in cold rain and bragging to everyone how you stay dry with waterproof clothes because rain won't hurt you is the only acceptable outdoor activity.  

• Excited 1
  • bongocat-test 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I am not sure of the reasons... but this has been the complete opposite of 1988 in the Upper Midwest.    They are dealing with flooding and not drought this year.

image.png

image.png

• Like 5

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

13 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Coffee on the patio in the sun. Things could be worse. 57 here after a low of 56. Yesterday was 53/84. 

IMG_9458.jpeg

With a sprinkler running... nice summer touch there.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I am not sure of the reasons... but this has been the complete opposite of 1988 in the Upper Midwest.    They are dealing with flooding and not drought this year.

image.png

image.png

Meanwhile here it’s been worse than 1988. Trees are dropping leaves with every breeze. Still at 0.2” for the month.

2010 was dry here as well, but much wetter in the Midwest (somewhat similar to this year).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Looks like a low of 64 so far for PDX. Their first absurdly warm low of the season. Fitting for the first morning after the solstice (following the shortest night of the year)

Low of 58 here. Looking forward to the cooldown starting tomorrow.

Move to Newport

10 hours ago, Thermal Trough said:

That’s why they call it Nature’s Air Conditioning 🌨️ 

IMG_3541.jpeg.f3f74413abfd45790379354a1e978799.jpeg

Living in in the Sf Bay area on thr east side of the Bay but west of the coast range, we were always in that middle range and it was great. 

• Like 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2024-2025 Snowfall totals:

HIghest snow total (per event): 

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 

First Freeze: TBD

Last Sub freezing Day: 

Coldest low:

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

You speak of things Jesse does not like.   You are just a troll account and not a real person.   Please align your posting here accordingly.   Walking in the woods in cold rain and bragging to everyone how you stay dry with waterproof clothes because rain won't hurt you is the only acceptable outdoor activity.  

😞😃

IMG_5778.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sun 1
  • Downvote 1