October 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

6 minutes ago, james1976 said:

Definitely looks to be a system around the 26th-27th. GFS wants to go more south. Last night's CMC was stronger and a bit more north. Prolly the next one to really watch after this week's clipper.

Yeah, I'm gonna be rooting against all of you for that one. Ensembles are all over the place.

• Excited 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

7 minutes ago, james1976 said:

Definitely looks to be a system around the 26th-27th. GFS wants to go more south. Last night's CMC was stronger and a bit more north. Prolly the next one to really watch after this week's clipper.

Some serious cold air coming in behind it.

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The snow has begun in western Cedar Rapids.

Our new office is right next to the Eastern Iowa Airport, maybe 2 miles due east, just off 380 by the rest stop.  My office window faces due west.  I don't yet see any flakes, but they should be starting very soon then.  

Snow continues to pick up, about to move into moderate territory.  Heavy returns are moving in.

• Snow 3

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

• Like 4
  • Snow 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Near Des Moines right now... even the interstate highway is covered.  There is already a report of 2.5" there.

EktLi79VoAUrXUW?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 3
  • Snow 3

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

8 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

Incredible.  Snowing moderately here now.  Already a 2.5" report north of DSM

lsr_snowfall.png

• Like 1
  • Snow 3

16 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

Impressive!

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Near Des Moines right now... even the interstate highway is covered.  There is already a report of 2.5" there.

EktLi79VoAUrXUW?format=jpg&name=small

That's quite a sight to see in the middle of October....

• Like 1

OCT 1997 is the best I can come up with for something similar with this much snow early in the year. Remember it well- Marlins beat Clev is the World Series. Biggest Snow event for OCT ever for DSM>

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

4 minutes ago, james1976 said:

4" by Des Moines. Wow!

The same are received 1.5" yesterday.... amazing.

It is really dumping here now, bright colors over us on radar.  Everything is becoming pretty white.

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

17 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

Incredible.  Snowing moderately here now.  Already a 2.5" report north of DSM

lsr_snowfall.png

That graphic ruins a lot of cred of IEW> Must be a mistake. No way those amounts have fallen.

15 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

OCT 1997 is the best I can come up with for something similar with this much snow early in the year. Remember it well- Marlins beat Clev is the World Series. Biggest Snow event for OCT ever for DSM>

Yeah I had right around 6” that time in late October.

2 hours ago, Niko said:

Currently, temps are rather chilly here in SEMI, w 42F and sky conditions are reporting some light rain. It will be a gloomy, dreary October day, weatherwise. Some warmth is expected by weeks end (70s) and also along w that, comes some thunderstorms, which could be strong to severe as a sharp CF brings an end to the very mild air that will be poised here. I think, this will be the last of the 70s, for some time (probably until next year again), so might as well enjoy it and do some last minute activities around the house.

Ya neva know. I’ve seen 70°s in Nov. and Dec. Maybe only once in Dec. though. 

• Like 1

Euro is completely off its rocker for the weekend system. No way a system is as juiced as it's showing.

Disregard, I was stupid and was looking at the 00Z run.

Edited by FAR_Weather
I'm an idiot

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.