October 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

10 minutes ago, Link said:

Why did you get a downvote? All you did was post the temps for Hillsboro. Hillsboro Envy?

I''m actually glad to know that.  Our high was 83F so we were one higher then HIO and our low was 46F and no sun till noonish. 

How much different is HIO then PDX's weather?

3 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

HIO is usually hotter during the day (in the warm season) and colder during the night than PDX.

HIO also gets less rain than PDX in NW flow because of the coast range, but I think they get slightly more in SW flow.

Not quite sure why I got downvoted.

I used to live in Hillsboro from 2004-2010. Very subtle differences but noticeable. In the winter I think they see a few more sub-freezing lows and I have had more t'storms in comparison to PDX some years. Probably the biggest difference is KHIO clears up a bit quicker during inversion season. There were plenty of days I remember in Spring and Fall we'd have sun coming out while PDX remains socked in low cloud or even drizzle.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

7 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

HIO is usually hotter during the day (in the warm season) and colder during the night than PDX.

HIO also gets less rain than PDX in NW flow because of the coast range, but I think they get slightly more in SW flow.

Here in Aumsville we get it that way too. I feel us and HIO are very similar in terms of climate.

13 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

It was a waste of a downvote.   Whatever it was they were trying to stop it sure didn't work! :)   It was about as useful as the Yaker Tracker device some schools used!   Did you get to be in the unlucky school that used this machine?

The downvotes are a digital version of this.   ^^^^^^^^

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Timmy_Supercell said:

I used to live in Hillsboro from 2004-2010. Very subtle differences but noticeable. In the winter I think they see a few more sub-freezing lows and I have had more t'storms in comparison to PDX some years. Probably the biggest difference is KHIO clears up a bit quicker during inversion season. There were plenty of days I remember in Spring and Fall we'd have sun coming out while PDX remains socked in low cloud or even drizzle.

Two days ago it was socked in here at around 10:30 AM. Drove to Hillsboro and there was blue sky to the west towards the coast range.

HIO is actually drier in spring than PDX, since most precip is coming from NW flow in spring. In March and April it's only by 0.2", but in May HIO is 1.98" and PDX is 2.50". Likewise in June, HIO is 1.28" and PDX is 1.63" (using new 1991-20 normals).

• Storm 1

7 minutes ago, Link said:

So are you finally having someone that will give Mark a run for the money and be like the old fun Mark?

Yeah it will be interesting to see how she measures up on the weather side of things, she seems to be a legit weather geek but time will tell.  Sounds like she starts tomorrow night, so she will get indoctrinated with the systems coming through this weekend.

Really hoping Saturday isn't the only day I get some decent rain down here.

⛈️

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

32 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

I was downvoting the unseasonably warm conditions today. It wasn’t personal.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Yeah it will be interesting to see how she measures up on the weather side of things, she seems to be a legit weather geek but time will tell.  Sounds like she starts tomorrow night, so she will get indoctrinated with the systems coming through this weekend.

I've noticed all the local EUG mets really step up their game of late. Dylan Robichaud especially has been doing well. I would expect he will replace Marisa Woloszyn as KEZI chief Met once she moves up to a bigger gig.

Do we have 3 media markets for PNW climate zone west of the Cascades?

Seattle, Portland, & Eugene.

Medford and the Rogue Valley feel like a different climate zone and have more of a Northern California vibe.

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

33 minutes ago, Link said:

It was a waste of a downvote.   Whatever it was they were trying to stop it sure didn't work! :)   It was about as useful as the Yaker Tracker device some schools used!   Did you get to be in the unlucky school that used this machine?

The downvotes are a digital version of this.   ^^^^^^^^

How f**** stupid. Silver spork? 🤣

4 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

I've noticed all the local EUG mets really step up their game of late. Dylan Robichaud especially has been doing well. I would expect he will replace Marisa Woloszyn as KEZI chief Met once she moves up to a bigger gig.

Do we have 3 media markets for PNW climate zone west of the Cascades?

Seattle, Portland, & Eugene.

Medford and the Rogue Valley feel like a different climate zone and have more of a Northern California forest vibe.

How are there mets? I used to live in Chico/Paradise and we had Andy who would show not only the jet stream but where it was the days before and where it's forcasted to be.  Compared to just static models.  It provided a much bigger picture and we were shocked when we moved up here and nobody talked about the jet stream anymore.

2 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

How f**** stupid. Silver spork? 🤣

What's Silver spork?  Sorry you lost me in your technical lingo.  Anyways this 'traffic light' if that's what you want to call it did NOT work! But it did do a D**n good job of irritating everybody!

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

Trying to make the best of this weather, got a nice hike on Mt. Adams in on Sunday. Up Stagman Ridge to Horseshoe meadows then down to Lookingglass Lake. Weather was mild but the fall colors were quite nice.

A578B04E-7C83-439B-9D28-AEE818EB2FD2.jpeg

E4E5199C-921C-45B3-A3C3-BB0B3F4D2892.jpeg

173D2B3B-7646-4C59-A46F-55C6C9D2114A.jpeg

E206E07D-C763-4FF7-975D-6C81EE0A8CCF.jpeg

3265AE06-72EB-4892-B3CA-93C8889B2DCE.jpeg

Wow, I was just up at Takhlakh Lake today. Did a short hike up to the lava field. 

IMG_20201006_162119.jpg

IMG_20201006_151726.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Link said:

How are there mets? I used to live in Chico/Paradise and we had Andy who would show not only the jet stream but where it was the days before and where it's forcasted to be.  Compared to just static models.  It provided a much bigger picture and we were shocked when we moved up here and nobody talked about the jet stream anymore. I sworn in the late 90s it was mentioned more often.

I would say KEZI seems to be a bit better as KVAL is run by Sinclair and pinches as many pennies as possible. But Josh Cozart has done a solid job as the chief met there for several months. Our weather folks don't stick around long as they get picked up by bigger markets. Marisa Woloszyn, Andy Moffitt, & Dylan Robichaud are a really strong team considering we are a small media market. Seems better than I remember from when I was in college 15+ years ago where it felt like they put zero effort into their forecasts, not even mentioning the snow possibilities that ended up being a big deal in late 2003 as at that point it had been 7 years since there had been snow so it was simply assumed by the local mets that it never snowed in Eugene since none of them had been around long enough to know it was physically possible.

I'm shocked that one of KEZI's lead anchors, Chynna Greene hasn't already moved on to a bigger gig.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

16 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Medford and the Rogue Valley feel like a different climate zone and have more of a Northern California vibe.

And for good reason. It is basically a California Mediterranean climate there, to the point that botanists use the floras for California, and not those for the Pacific Northwest, in that region.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

18 minutes ago, Link said:

Aren't we usually in the low to mid 40s more

Not sure where you are but where I am my lows this time of year would normally run upper 30’s to mid 40’s.  Last October I had no lows of 50 or higher and had 8 sub freezing lows.  Quite a difference so far this year.

27 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

And for good reason. It is basically a California Mediterranean climate there, to the point that botanists use the floras for California, and not those for the Pacific Northwest, in that region.

Driving into the Umpqua Valley you see more oak savanna mixed in with the typical western OR vegetation and you think "I'm technically in southern Oregon" but then going over Sexton Summit the tree type shifts over to ponderosa pine, sugar pine, incense cedar, etc as well as chaparral-type vegetation and you're like "Wow, I'm getting close to California".

The drive between Eugene and Redding is not only a beautiful one but has tons of microclimates and vegetation types to offer for climate enthusiasts.

• Like 3

76/46 yesterday. Nice day again!!

• Sun 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

I’m liking the models— gonna be nice to have some more rain after our rather hellish early September. Get those fires knocked down once and for all.

• Storm 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

4 hours ago, Requiem said:

I’m liking the models— gonna be nice to have some more rain after our rather hellish early September. Get those fires knocked down once and for all.

Went looking for mushrooms yesterday afternoon and I can report that the rain we got last month has already brought the chanterelles out.

• Rain 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Got down to 45F. Currently 48F with a pretty thicc marine layer.

Personal Stats:

Venmo

27 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Fog and 52°F here. Shockingly mild for October; I was regularly getting lows in the 30’s and 40’s at this point last year.

Although last year ended up being of our coldest Octobers on record. So comparing it to this year, which could end up one of our warmest, the difference will be even more extreme than usual.

• Downvote 1